Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Tungar tubes

Author Topic: Tungar tubes
Jim Spohn
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2004 02:41 PM      Profile for Jim Spohn   Email Jim Spohn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone tell me how to substitute diodes for tungar tubes? They are used as a pair in my 16mm projector rectifier. These tubes have three connections. One on the base tip --one on the screw base shell and then the plate connection on top. Thanks for any help....Jim

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2004 02:46 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
check out www.widescreenmuseum.com/sound/rca05-06.htm. It has a simple layout for a tungar rectifier you should be able to adapt from.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-25-2004 02:48 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are tungar tubes the same thing as sil-tubes? The ones I'm familiar with look like metal soup cans with mogul or Edison lightbulb bases. I've also seen "rectifier tubes" which look like giant lightbulbs. I assume that these are something different entirely?

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2004 02:51 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The tungars are the ones that look like giant light bulbs, Scott.

Jim Spohn
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2004 03:05 PM      Profile for Jim Spohn   Email Jim Spohn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Jeff thats just what I was looking for.
Scott, your right on the money, they have mogul base sockets and a connection on the top for the plate. Thanks again...Jim

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2004 03:10 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
appropos of nothing, but when I was in Jr. High in the late '50's we had a carbon follow spot that had a tungar rectifier. Damn thing looked like someting out of a Flash Gordon set.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2004 08:38 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one of a quartet of solid-state Tungar bulb replacements I made about a decade ago for a Strong-built National Theatre Supply "intermediate four-tube" carbon arc rectifier...

-
 -

I used DSI75-12B diodes, rated at 110A at 1200V (seriously overrated, yes, but very able to handle the current surge of striking an arc). The diode and heatsink are mounted to a pair of brass L-brackets, which I attached to a five-inch length of 1-1/2" diameter type "L" copper pipe using brass screws. The mogul screw bases came from burned-out sodium-vapor street-light bulbs. I soldered a pigtail to the diode's tip for something to attach the large Fahnestock clips to and to keep the clips spaced safely away from the heatsinks. The electrical connection at the screw base is through the shell only; since there is no need to heat a filament, the tip connection is moot.

What can I say? They're ugly, but they work. I gained about five extra amperes of available current from the rectifier in switching from Tungars to these contraptions. [thumbsup]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-25-2004 08:46 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great idea.

Here is a 2-tube Tungar rectifier I have for a baby arc lamp:
http://steve.filmteknik.com/tungar.html

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-25-2004 09:22 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget to lower the input power to the unit(s) as you will gain the voltage drop that was formerly across the filaments of the Tungar bulbs.

Jim Spohn
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2004 09:50 AM      Profile for Jim Spohn   Email Jim Spohn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jon, what a nice replacement unit you built. I'm going to fashion my units very much like yours thanks to your inspiration.
Steve...I have two rectifiers just like yours. The lamps were built by Strong. They look just like a magna-arc except they are 17" long and 10" in diameter, they're ultra cute. The lamp may be seen in the Film-tech manuals under Strong Low Intensity lamp. By changing the the shunt for the motor, you can burn 7mm and 8mm copper jacket carbons and get a heck of a bright light for 16 or 35mm projectors. Thanks Guys for all your help.....Jim

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2004 10:10 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A sil tube is the solid state replacement for a tungar tube.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2004 11:07 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kneisley R-1160 as I recall.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: