Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Splices in speaker wire runs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Splices in speaker wire runs
Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2003 11:48 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read in one of the forums that having splices in speaker wire runs should be avoided. Is it really that important to avoid splices? I had to splice an extra 10 feet of wire behind the screen to reach each speaker. I made connections with wire nuts. Is this ok?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-24-2003 11:54 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It won't be to the purist.

Personally, I think you should solder the connections so you don't have to worry about oxidation getting in there years from now. Maybe leave them as twisted by the wire nuts but solder (with an gun or torch sufficient for the size of the conductor to do a good job) then when cool twist the nut back over it.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 12:22 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second Steves thoughts. If you solder and use heat shrink you should have no problem at all.

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 12:57 AM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about when hooking up 2 subwoofers in parallel. I have one pair of 10 gauge wire running from the booth to the woofers behind the screen. How else could I wire the two subs in parallel without using wire nuts?

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-25-2003 01:40 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like this:

-

All you need is a simple barrier strip (which can be screwed to the back of one of the subs) and some fork lugs for all the connections. Make sure you solder the connectors to the wires as a crimp may not hold with heavier gauge wire.

-Good Luck! [Smile]

-Aaron

Neil McGovern
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 08:40 AM      Profile for Neil McGovern   Author's Homepage   Email Neil McGovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're just using +ve and -ve wires, it's worth looking into attaching XLR connectors to the bare wires, which prodeces a very good seal. Make sure that you don't get the solderless connectors though.

HTH

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-25-2003 08:41 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I vote, "Yes, if you solder."

Make your splice in-line instead of simply twisting the wires together at the ends. (Greater area of contact between the wires.)

Stagger them if you can so you don't have two splices right next to each other. (Prevents the possibility of them shorting together.)

Tape over the splice(s) with a good grade of electrical tape and then put heat shrinkable tubing over that.
If you can find silicone insulating tape use it instead of electrical tape. It has insulating properties at least as good as the original insulation.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-25-2003 08:50 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
XLR connectors are not designed for #12 and #10 wire to connect to them nor are they designed for any current capacity
If you want a connector use the Speakon's from nuetrix

I preffer wire nuts to soldering speaker wires Never had any corrowion issues even in some pretty damp and humid locations

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-25-2003 10:53 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just supposing that since some people claim to hear a difference between solid and stranded and the fuss some make over special wire, oxygen-free copper and all that, that particularly with cable where the conductors are large that the small contact area where the twisted strands touch ought to be supplemented by solder which will also prevent the formation of a brown oxide later on the copper surfaces.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 03-25-2003 02:08 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
ITS when something belongs to something
IT'S A contraction of "it is"

Thank you! [thumbsup]

Now, if we could just send something NOOK-YOU-LUHR at everyone who says "DUBB-YUH", and "NOOOOZE", and......

um...... sorry.... got carried away there! [Big Grin]

Tom Sauter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 04:43 PM      Profile for Tom Sauter   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Sauter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 12 guage 120VAC wiring in US homes carries more dangerous stuff than your average speaker run and does just fine with wire nuts. I like Randy's suggestion of staggering them a bit. Makes for a nicer cable dressing.

I recommend against splices in theatre wiring mainly to prevent electricians from squeezing the last little bit out of a spool to save a buck and cause me to spend too much time ringing out the wires they didn't pair correctly or worse poor splices they made that short an amplifier to ground.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-25-2003 05:47 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the higher power amps put out significantly more dangerous "stuff" than the common household 120vac "wiring". A 120V/20A circuit carries 2400 watts. Many amplifiers put out 3 or 4 or more kilowatts and require class I wiring because of the voltages and currents they carry....most times in conduit.

>>> Phil

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-25-2003 06:04 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack, I thought you'd appreciate that I called him "Mr." [Smile]

--

I would submit that an extra, say, quarter ohm resistance might have deleterious affect on the sound especially during peaks. That same quarter ohm on a power circuit pulling 10 A. is going to cause 2.5 W of heating and not much else.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-25-2003 06:14 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd sooner lick a live pair of 110V wires than the output of any serious amplifier any day. Then again that's just me... and explains quite a bit. [Smile]

Nuetrix's Speakon connectors are great for non-permanent setups. In fact you'll find them in most any speaker designed for road use.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-25-2003 06:26 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl: "Lick"? Hubba Hubba! [evil]

Speakons R great! Do NOT use XLRs!

>>> Phil

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: