Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Question about RTA's

Author Topic: Question about RTA's
Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2003 02:23 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being I will be needing an RTA soon my questions is this:
Do they make or can you get an RTA program for the PC and use your sound card as an RTA? Of course the Microphone will be the issue but may be close enough to work.
Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-06-2003 02:31 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spectra Plus is one and JBL has one as well

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-06-2003 11:46 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will second Spectra Plus it's the RTA I use.

Whatever you use for a computer, make DAMNED sure it has CLEAN sound hardware. I had a laptop with a really BAD noise problem on the sound card (you couldn't hear it in the little speakers on the computer, but it came up as broadband garbage on the RTA display, rendering the RTA useless). There are 'precision reference' PCMCIA sound cards for laptops that may halp if you are stuck with a noisy machine.

-Aaron

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2003 08:06 AM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Better still, if you are using Spectra Plus or any other software based analyser, get a WaveTerminal U2A made by Egosys. It is a little box that plugs into the USB port and is an outboard version of a sound card that avoids all the noise generated within a PC or laptop. This device can do full 24-bit AtoD and DtoA conversions and is very good indeed.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-09-2003 10:04 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ray,

Might you have a link for that company?

Steve

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2003 02:31 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EGO Systems WaveTerminal

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2003 05:58 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am trying Spectra Plus on my Laptop and my noise floor is running around -80Db across the band. Is this acceptable?

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-09-2003 09:07 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sounds like you have a noisy sound card, Sam. The laptop I am using (what's left of it) has a pretty quiet sound system in it (I get a few spikes in the 20-63 Hz range and that's about it).

You also might trying to run calibration with a mic and pink noise to see if the computer will automatically set its input level.

-Aaron

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2003 12:28 AM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve the link for Ego Systems is www.egosys.net They have distributors worldwide listed on their website. These guys make a whole range of top-end sound cards with up to 8 channel inputs, but the U2A and U24 have the advantage of being portable and external to the PC.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2003 01:00 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I checked on the price of Spectra Plus and like to have stroked out. That things expensive.
Here is the qoute:
Mr. Hunter,

Thank you for your interest in our spectral analysis software.

=================================================
SpectraPLUS version 2.32 pricing (valid through 3/31/03)
=================================================
SpectraPLUS - base analyzer (item 232A).................... $ 295

Option /02 - Dual Channel Processing Capability ...... $ 200
Option /03 - 3-D Surface Display ............................. $ 200
Option /04 - Color Spectrogram Display ................... $ 200
Option /10 - Recording and Post Processing Modes . $ 200
Option /30 - Signal Generator ................................. $ 200
Option /50 - Distortion Analysis .............................. $ 200

Special Value Package (item 232B):
SpectraPLUS - base analyzer plus any 3 options ..... $ 595

Full Package Price (item 232C):
SpectraPLUS - base analyzer plus all 6 options ....... $ 795

The base package provides single channel (mono), real time operation.
Options can be added at any time with a simple phone call. CD
and a printed users guide are included with all orders. We accept
VISA/MasterCard/AmericanExpress and purchase orders.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-21-2003 01:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it does it is not out of line

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2003 01:11 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wish I hadn't installed it because it has a 30 day trail and all my equipment is not in yet and it will probably expire before I have a chance to use it. [Frown]

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2003 01:33 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam
That's not that bad a price. The cheapest RTA I found was $1k. It was a stand alone one though, not a laptop one

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2003 01:38 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will need this thing long enough to equalize my Cp50 and not use it again. Heck, my equalization may be close enough as it is. Still waiting on my amps and CAT150. Got all my test film as well as a nice Textronics 100mhz dt scope for my A chain alignment.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2003 01:44 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, you say that now but I bet you a cookie that you play with stuff more than once.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: