Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Hey, you, you rule! (AKA: Praising good film handlers) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Hey, you, you rule! (AKA: Praising good film handlers)
James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2002 07:46 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We opened 4 prints of 8 Mile today.
When I came in at 2 yesterday, only 3 of them were here.
A call to Technicolor showed that one of them was being delivered at 11 PM from someone else.
I knew I was in for a used print from another theater somewhere and was fearing the worst: scratched, dirty, poorly wound, too many frames cut off the heads and tails, etc.

Well, the print came in at around 1030 and I was realieved to find a print that was in great shape.
The tags on the back of the cans showed that it came from the Rice University Media Center here in Houston.

Since this place runs changeovers, the heads and tails were uncut, the attached trailer was still attached, and all trailers that were sent in the can were still there.
No scratches and no dirt to be found anywhere on the print.

Only two minor complaints with this print:
1. The reel bands were secured with a small piece of tape and one of them came loose during delivery.
2. At the end of one reel, there was a splice made with some nasty splicing tape that left a little residue behind when I peeled it off to remake it. Filmguard helped remove the residue.

I thought the splice may have been made to remove a lab splice, but the next reel had a lab splice still in it, so it is not clear if the tape splice was made at Rice or not.
Either way, I was thankful to receive a used print in such good condition, especially since it was a bit of a late buildup.

I know the projectionist for the Rice University Media Center has posted here before.
Are you still lurking?
Thank you for taking care of this print.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-08-2002 08:54 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome!

Now hopefully this thread will some day have more replies than the "suck" thread.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2002 10:03 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

As for praising good film handlers:

Hats off to all the people responsible for handling the film and for the operation and maintenance of the projection equipment at the Regal River Oaks Cinema 8 in Decatur, AL, the theatre with the best and most consistent presentation quality in the Huntsville/Decatur area for the past 5 years!

As of tonight, this theatre has 20 straight attendances with no deductions for any presentation defects (no other theatre around here comes anywhere close to that), and an incredible problem index of -0.2 (the next best is -1.4 ). -0.0 to -1.0 is the "A+" range, and -1.0 to -2.0 is the "A" range.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-09-2002 01:47 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, Evans, that formula is seemingly scientific!

I certainly don't have anything like that to gauge on praising good film handlers. For those I consider deserving of the "you rule" title, I bestow that on the guys that gave me great film-going memories at the GCC Northpark #1-#2 in Dallas.

And even though Jack Connor is a good friend of mine, I give that fellow "you rule" points for keeping the Carmike 8 in my town running very well. He's been running the same print of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" for I don't know how long now, but it has been long, and the print is still in very good shape (no dirt, scratches, etc.). He campaigned hard and got his theater in little-ol-Lawton equipped all-DTS. The guy cares about putting on a good show, and that's in spite of putting in some really long marathon hours.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2002 10:43 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He's been running the same print of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" for I don't know how long now,

This would be a good test to see which theaters really do have "good film handlers": Go see My Big Fat Greek Wedding at your local theater! Just about every theater in my area still has a full set of shows since it was released, or shortly after its initial release when it expanded. Can a multiplex really run a print that long?

=TMP=

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-09-2002 12:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
On a movie like that it is very important to find out if the theater got the print brand new, as odds are it was received used. If they got it used, it is unfair to judge their presentation on it.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2002 07:49 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of the guys in my booth, the Lakeville 18, have kept Big Fat Greek Wedding running for, god, it must be over 12 weeks. Five shows a day, still in our second largest house which has 262 seats, and not a scratch or bit of dirt on it. Even as we trained three assistant managers to run movies, we haven't had one bit of damage done to the print. It even feels new as the tail leader runs through your fingers as you begin to thread

And it still comes close to selling out every evening show on the weekends too.

At the Willow Creek theater, the 2 projectionists have had their print as long as we have, and their's looks just as good and gets run just as much. It's a shame it doesn't have SRD, I'd love to check the error rate on it.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 11-10-2002 09:15 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are out of that running already, our print was damaged when we received it.

Bummer

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-10-2002 09:19 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One place where I often fill in had Monsoon Wedding in mint condition for about five months and then someone (not me!) scratched it a couple of weeks before we shipped it out.

Also: hey, you, at the Coolidge Corner Theatre in Brookline, MA.: you rule! Last Saturday's show of Lawrence of Arabia (in 70mm mag) was great ; lights, curtain, music, changeovers, etc. were timed perfectly. Thanks!

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-10-2002 10:04 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got Greek Wedding after it had been out for about a month and a half. I was afraid we were getting someone else's crappy print, but low and behold, a VIRGIN PRINT!!! HAHA! We played it for several weeks, and for some strange reason it was pulled - it happened to be our biggest draw at the time (freakin stupid booking people!).

Anyway, it was gone for about two weeks or so, and all of a sudden, we were slated to get it back this past weekend, and the first thing I thought was "Uh oh." We got a call from Technicolor telling us that the print wouldn't be delivered until 10:30am Friday morning. "Uh oh, again." No time to screen it and make sure everything was cool. I was all set to be extremely pissed because the print we sent out was in pristine shape, and there was no way we could get lucky twice, right?

WRONG! The print showed up with all heads and tails attached correctly, even the paper bands were wound around the proper reels nicely, and it was extremely clean, and scratch free! What are the odds???

All I know is that it looks like it came from a theater in LA. Whoever it was, YOU RULE!

Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 01-03-2003 09:30 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To whoever last ran print 00058 of Nicholas Nickelby--you rule! It looked like the print had come from a changeover house (leaders were properly attached with double-sided splices) and had previously been run at a platter house (which left one ID frame on each leader, as I prefer). Both houses appeared to have handled the print well, and it even had that nice April-fresh Filmguard scent. Reel bands were properly attached, too, and the reels were in sequential order in the cans.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 05-15-2003 11:18 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, you, at the Clearview First and 62nd St. Cinema in NYC, you rule.

We got your print of "Owning Mahowny" last night. It was in great shape, leaders had a single reference frame on each and were attached with single-sided splices using good splicing tape and a good splicer, reels were nicely labelled, etc.

I suppose that I shouldn't be excited about receiving a used print that didn't require repairs in order to be run, but it's a rare enough event that I thought I'd thank whoever was responsible.

My only complaint is that there were four or so lab splices that were not removed.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-18-2003 09:06 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is interesting in that it points out how the industry has changed. I have always worked in second run and art house format theatres. I have ALWAYS gotten "used" prints. (the only virgin prints I ever get are sneak previews). From the posts so far, I hear a subtle fear that if a print isn't virgin, then chances are it will have been abused.

Years ago that wasn't the case. Prints coming from first run houses, where typically booths were populated with well trained projectionists, mostly union guys, prints came to subrun booths in excellent condition. When there was the occasional mistreated print, it was something the projectionsist and our manager got really bent out of shape about -- it was the oddity, not the norm. And you have to remember, back in the 50s, 60s and even into the 70s, titles had a whole hierarchy of release strata that they don't today -- on big releases you first had reserved enagements which could play for months, even years, then flagship engagements in major markets, then first run wide, then second run, then subrun (underbellies as they were called) and then maybe a few years later, the re-release. Same prints going down the ladder. Yet, the theatres at the bottom of the totem pole still got prints in very good condition -- prints that had a lot more handling than the occasional print today that makes it to a second run house from one other first run engagement.

Contrast this with what is being implied in this thread -- that you are as likely to hit the lottery as you are of getting a decent print if it has played just one engagement before you. Sad commentary on what is going on in today's projection booths. What's the reason? Many, I'm sure, but I'd put my money on automation vs. trained personnel -- lots of automation, very little trained personnel.

Frank

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 10:37 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received my House of 1000 corpses print one week after the original release date from the mann? westwood village. Print came absolutely perfect, torn down with one splice of tape on one side, no fingerprints at all or anything. Awesome.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 06-27-2003 02:35 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey you, at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in Beverly Hills, CA.--you (not surprisingly) rule! Print #0008 of "Heart of Me" arrived today in mint condition and almost looked brand-new from the lab, with barely a fingerprint on the leaders. Leaders were intact and uncut. The print arrived heads-out on shipping reels with the leaders securely taped down with good-quality artists tape.

Admittedly, the print was probably only shown once at the AMPAS, but I've seen enough prints that were trashed on the first showing that I was delighted to get this one tonight.

My only (minor) quibble was that one reel had a lab splice that was not removed. It was, however, on a frameline.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: