Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Defective dts discs for "Dragonfly"? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Defective dts discs for "Dragonfly"?
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-21-2002 02:40 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I was screening a print of Dragonfly in dts tonight and at the end of reel 4 is a scene with heavy use of music and sound. While the movie is mostly a "talkie", confined mainly to the center channel, this scene stood out horribly because there was no screen right channel playing. All of the music appeared to be coming from the left screen channel.

So perhaps an amp died. Maybe someone was screwing with the system and has it horribly off balance. Wait, no the trailers sounded fine. Hmmmmm. Right about that time (the music still being loud) the reel change went through into reel 5 and right on the very first frame of the incoming reel WHAM, the right channel came on right at the level it should be. Coincidence? A problem with the sound system? I think not.

Will others check for this as they screen their prints of Dragonfly? I have a sneaky suspicion that this was an overlooked "oops" with the dts track. I'm betting the SRD and SDDS tracks are ok, but would like to know what everyone finds as they screen their prints. It doesn't take a sound expert to know exactly what I am referring to. Just watch the scene in the airplane at the end of reel 4 and watch it into the start of reel 5.

Karen, can you investigate this for a disc re-issue?

|  IP: Logged

Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2002 03:48 AM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, previewed that last evening and my print sounded okay. Ran DTS and had no problems. Had 5 or 6 folks watching it with no complaints.
Not to rub it in, but finally a problem that didn't hit me. Hope you get yours fixed soonest.
kp

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-21-2002 04:04 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Were these your typical staff personnel who wouldn't notice a problem if you ran the whole movie through the wrong lens, or was there at least someone in the audience who you feel would've noticed? I have a feeling a lot of people wouldn't notice this since it did not affect the dialogue.

Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2002 04:41 AM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually my staff rocks. I take care to train them in a professional manner and they pay attention to detail like you wouldn't believe. And my guests included a couple of broadcast engineers. They would have noticed.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2002 11:56 AM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad,

Thanks for letting me know. We'll check it today.

Karen at DTS

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-21-2002 03:21 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Karen is there just one "master" cdrom that is responsible for printing all dts discs, or is it like having multiple internegatives where it is possible the "internegative/cdrom" that mine was printed from could've been defective?

If you find the discs are fine, would you please send me another set and I will ship you this one back for evaluation. You can ship to the address in the "contact us" section.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2002 07:10 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

We are still checking the discs. We only make one master disc and all copies are made from that.

Karen at DTS

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-21-2002 07:31 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, why not play that reel off the disks again, sans film, when you get a chance?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-21-2002 07:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I will have a chance to for a few days, but I plan on it if Karen doesn't turn up with a problem in the disc manufacturing. I suppose it could've been a fluke, but right exactly as the splice went through on the reel change???

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-21-2002 11:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
UPDATE: I was able to arrange things this evening to run that print in a different auditorium. Reel 4 in dts not only does not have a right screen channel, but there is no right surround audio either! (The auditorium I screened the movie in yesterday was set up by an engineer who does not believe in surrounds and intentionally sets them very low, hence the reason I did not notice the lack of a RS channel during the reel. He also likes to crank the center channel for some reason. To hell with THX standards, right?) Anyway, the only thing that plays on reel 4 is left, center, left surround and subwoofer. I sat right beside the sound rack and monitored this through the booth monitor as well as watching the levels on the CP500.

So the big question now is, what about the SRD and SDDS tracks? Can someone please confirm if the right and right surround tracks are dead through reel 4 in either one of these formats? If so, then it looks to be a fault in the original master. If not, then it appears to be a dts problem.

(Keith, watch tomorrow as your print runs through. Since Karen has confirmed there is only one master dts disc made, it seems the broadcast engineers that attended your screening don't have as good of hearing as you might think. It's actually pretty obvious and not something I am being nitpicky about. Go listen for yourself tomorrow.)

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 02-22-2002 12:46 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, Brad, how does it sound in analog?

--jhawk

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-22-2002 03:23 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea how the SR track sounds, but I would assume it would be ok.

Further update: I have received confirmation from Jeremy Spracklen (that guy who never posts but should) that the SRD track on reel 4 does indeed have all channels.

I will have SDDS confirmation info posted tomorrow.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-22-2002 12:24 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can confirm this as well. I'm running R4 monitoring only R and RS and not a peep out of them. SR-D seem fine as is SR.

Unusual for me to be screening a film that's in release other than for Academy or DGA yet that's exactly what I'll be doing this afternoon for a VIP. Given disks I'll usually run in DTS but thanks to Brad I'll stick to SR-D today!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-22-2002 02:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Further update: Our good friend Darren Crimmins has verified all tracks play properly on the SDDS version.

Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2002 05:37 PM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, now we're insulting my friends, nice. I've run "Dragonfly" 3 times now, everytime in DTS. Mine sound fine. Not going to worry about it anymore.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: