Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » long interconnect ( balanced ) to amp and short wires to subwoofer or the opposite ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: long interconnect ( balanced ) to amp and short wires to subwoofer or the opposite ?
David Baum
Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2000 06:34 PM      Profile for David Baum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ie, short interconnect and long speaker wire. I would favour the first option, a balanced signal allowing long cables vs using long wire ( AWG 10 ), which would reduce the damping factor and increase dB loss.
subs are JBL 4645C (2x), amp will be QSC DCA 3422H. max AWG allowed with the QSC ( speakon ) is 4mm2 or AWG 10. another reason why I would favour a short wire and long balanced cable from the bass processor.

thanks and Happy New year.
David

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-30-2000 07:29 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had this argument with someone before. He wanted to run a long balanced line through the theatre attic and put the amps behind the stage. The thinking here is that good-quality speaker wire is expensive and the signal loss is less for a balanced line, anyway.

To a certain extent, this makes sense, although I personally have a pretty strong preference for keeping the amps in the booth in order to make troubleshooting easier in case of a total or partial loss of sound during a show.

One compromise which I have seen in an early mag installation from 1954 was to run 70v lines (with transformers at the amp and speaker end) between the amps in the booth and the loudspeakers, which was supposed to minimize cable loss at the expense of some quality loss due to the transformers. I kind of like this idea assuming that good 70v transformers are used, but I've never heard of anyone doing this for a recent installation...

David Baum
Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2000 07:51 PM      Profile for David Baum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi and thanks

well, I have "visual" access to the subs and their amp , this is why I would favour the option of running 2 long balanced XLR cables from the bass processor to the amp.
Thanks for this idea of transformers but I would rule that out.
Btw, this is for my home theater ( film freak but even more a home theater freak ). The funny part is that I have never gone so much to theaters since the last 2 years. 2 or 3 movies a month generally.

regards

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-30-2000 08:18 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ummmm, David - I used a 70 volt line once on a surround speaker setting. The problems I had were line noise, RF from the local CB'r with a foot warmer, hash noise from neon lights, etc. Some sound engineers have advised me that this would happen, and it did. Although I was able to swamp most of that crap out with filters, I have to agree with the ones who told me not to use it. Too much of a hassle.

For subwoofers and stage speakers, I have used 4-conductor 8AWG cable, configured the way John Allen recommends for his HPS-4000 sound systems. There was never any problems, and the sound quality, in my opinion, beat the THX system quite handsomely. I agree with Scott - keep the amplifiers in the booth.

David Baum
Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2000 08:27 PM      Profile for David Baum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul

Thanks. Mmh, 8AWG ? with speakon ? The QSC DCA use NL4FC speakon, and they only accepts 4mm2 wires ( ie, 10 AWG if I am correct ). 8 AWG would be great ( this is what I have currently with my current power amp and I CAN feel/hear the difference between 8AWG and the former 10AWG I had previously).
on the other hand, looking at what JBL recommends in its technical sheet on the 5000 screen speakers, even 12 AWG or 16 AWG would be enough for such short distances ( less than 50ft for instance ), which amazes me, knowing how much the wire can "eat" ( dB loss and damping factor loss ).

Regards

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-30-2000 08:30 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David - a junction box next to the amplifier will fix that.

Oh, it can eat alot. But a damping factor is just a figure of merit. The closer to 200 you can get, the better off your are going to be. But if you approach 150, you probably won't hear much of a difference (if any) from 150 to 200..

There are some mighty fine sound engineers on this forum, and they know more that I do. They can give you some good advice, and some suggestions they will make won't drain your bank account.

Daryl Lund
Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2000 09:06 PM      Profile for Daryl Lund   Email Daryl Lund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would run 12 gage stranded wire, like they use in conduit. ACT III did it and so did I. Run the wire from the amps in the booth to the speakers behind the screen.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-30-2000 09:09 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl - Please be sure to "twist" the wires. I twisted my AWG 12 wires by chucking the the pair in an electric drill. (makes a good Yo Yo, when you turn the drill off, too).

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2000 09:57 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used both balanced & direct low imp. lines in many situations. The large theatres 500+ seats. I prefer the balanced line feeds, as a little higher signal is used from pre-amp to power-amp, thus the signal to noise ratio benifits! Using good amps like QSC and good sheilded cable I have never had noise or RF interference. (some runs up to 200 feet long!) Figure out voltage drop
under low impedence situations and you will find that watts are wasting on the long transmission lines! Thus, #8 awg or larger is best over long runs and always twisted in pairs and run through metal conduit! Transients are actually more succeptable on open low impedance lines than high impedance!
They make great shortwave antennas! Happy holidays!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-30-2000 10:16 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But I certainly would not put high-impedance balanced lines in a conduit. It could cause ground loop hums up the gazoo!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-30-2000 11:08 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have very strong position on this one...

That is keep the amps in the booth. It isn't that the amps can't be put next to the speakers with success because they can and have. It is much more difficult to accomplish this without noise problems and no matter how you cut it, it is more difficult to troubleshoot an amp behind the screen than one in the soundrack with the rest of the equipment.

As to the loss in the wire, use a suitable wire size. Don't was your money on high-brow speaker cable either....use THHN stranded. 10awg will be fine but #8awg may make you feel better.

Oh and on damping factor, it is mostly a bogus number used by amplifier manufacturers to show some sort of superiority. The driver itself will be the big operator in that, not the cable. If you have two 4645C then run two pairs of cable.

Twisting cable is a good idea, running in grounded conduit is a VERY good idea...every once in a while a surface mounted speaker run finds out what a cabbie or walkie talkie can do.

When twisting cable (in general) DO NOT USE A DRILL!!! you are then actually twisting the strands themselves which is not the goal (you are actually breaking the cable)...the goal on twisting the cable is to create a "lay." Either get it twisted properly by the manufacturer or you will be twisting by hand. A properly twisted cable is such that if before twisting you were to put a straight line on the top side of the cable and then twist the cables the line stays straight. This will not stress the cable and not create a "spring"

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-30-2000 11:39 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I can add my own two cents worth....

I agree with Scott; it would be better to keep the amps in the booth for both troubleshooting and EQ'ing (if you have to adjust the gain pots.)

On two installations I know of where the amps were remote (to the processor) there was a slight 60cy hum in the sound. It's just too hard to keep those low-level runs quiet.

If the amp has XLR/Cannon type (3-pin balanced) plugs, use them rather than hard-wiring them to terminals. Look carefully at the documentation that shows which pin is "high" "low" and "ground." It seems that someone always reverses them somewhere.

Paul's idea of twisting them is good also. Run them in conduit if possible. If not, you will probably have to buy plenum-rated wire to adhere to building codes.

Run the thickest gauge speaker wires you can to the stage. Try to make each wire one 'unspliced' run. If you are having electricans do the work, tell them specifically there should be no splices. You might be surprised at how many times this is forgotten, and the speaker run ends up with 2-3 splices in it. Leave a lot of slack at both ends, because you may have to change around the rack equipment or the way the wires are routed at the speaker.

When you "dress" the wires in the amp rack, leave enough length to enable you to disconnect the wires from one amp and reach another; ie: the speaker wire from the bottom amp will reach the top amp, etc. Not only is this good for troubleshooting, but if (say) the center amp goes out, you can easily switch to another, less important amp (like a surround channel) until the amp is repaired. Do the same with the XLR amp inputs.

A suggestion is to color-code the wires by making the "low" or "return" wire the same color for all channels, and buying a different color for the "high." I used the resistor color code to remind me which is which during installation; ie: twist white and black for "LEFT;" white and brown for "Le," etc. You might have to order some colors in advance, because that are not commonly used. Lable them properly when you are done (nylon tie-wraps with a writing area on them.) They will probably get treated very roughly over the years, and you don't want them to come off.

Personally, (depending on the distance- up to 120 feet/ 40 meters) I think 10 or 12 gauge is fine. While it's true the bigger the gauge the better, the law of diminishing returns comes in. It's just not going to sound any better with 00 gauge wire.

The 70.7 volt transformer system is pretty much out nowadays. The transformers must be fairly large to handle the lower frequencies which means they are expensive. In addition to the benifit of "stepping up" the voltage to avoid loss in the speaker wire, it allowed you to match the impedence of several speakers to one source. Also, by using different transformers, you could tailor the sound volume at each speaker. So, a single wire-pair from an amp could go outside to a big loudspeaker array, then inside to smaller speakers in a hallway. One type of transformer would be used in the outdoor array (and be loud) and then another type would be used for the smaller speakers indoors (and be quieter.)

In the two original Cinemascope installations I helped rip out, it seemed to me that the 70.7 volt system was used only for it's ablity to match impedence and to tailor the volume (such as reducing a surround speaker output in a corner of the auditourium.) I'm sure the designers welcomed the benefit of 'high voltage-lower loss,' but with what they paid for a Cinemascope install, I think the price of wire was not a factor.

David Baum
Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2000 05:02 AM      Profile for David Baum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of inputs here, thanks!
Ok, so most agree to run long wires and keep the amps together. But how do you use 8 AWG wire ( !!) with speakon connectors ! they can't accept it and the DCA only accept NL4FC connectors, which accepts max 12mm cable ( 2 x 6mm or 2 x AWG 10 ).

oops, must be blind: the DCA has screw terminals so AWG 8 might fit, right ? seems my brainstorming about wiring is coming to a good end !

happy new Year to all.
David

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-31-2000 10:16 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am always in favour of Amps in the booth
Also most amps have electronicaly ballanced inputs not transformer balanced and typically they do not offer as much imunity to noise

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2000 10:18 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a perfect time to ask this question:

I have a long length of 10 gauge solid UF (underground feeder) cable that has 3 wires with a ground. Does anyone see a problem in using this wire as the main speaker feed wires to run under the house from the booth to the screen? This run is just under 18'. The cable is flat and will be run so that there are no twists between the junction boxes that I will install at either end.

I will use the naked ground, and the white wire as the 2 negative lines, and the red and black wires for the right and left channel positives.

This wire is left over from when I ran a new 30 amp 220v line out to my garage, and had to buy a 250' roll of this wire. I also used it to supply power to my A/C system. Plus, I've already run a new pair of 20a lines out of this wire for each of my projectors. I just love working in my crawlspace!!

Anything that I need to do? Should I twist the wires at all? Is the 18' run long enough to cause any problems?

Thanks. I bear a total likeness to the guy that is sucking down the FG in the photo on the left.

Happy New Year, Everyone!!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: