Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Premiere nights are when working in a theatre is at its very best.

Author Topic: Premiere nights are when working in a theatre is at its very best.
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-19-2019 02:53 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is nothing better than working the premiere showing of the new movie everyone is excited to see. I love being in the auditorium to hear the cheer as "Star Wars" hits the screen. And then the excited chatter from the audience as they exit when the movie was really good.

There are other things to enjoy about the job, but this is #1 on my list.

|  IP: Logged

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2019 06:54 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. The atmosphere is filled with energy at these events.

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2019 07:18 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another great time to be working in a movie theatre for me was in the mid 1960's at some of the SF Bay Area Fox West Coast Theatres like the Fox Theatre in SF along with the Paramount & Fox Oakland Theatres in Oakland when the major film studios brought up a brand new 35mm film to be tested out on a audience for the first time.

This was a true Sneak Preview. It was not advertised to the public and many times the stars would be in the seats. Many times the sound was not even mixed yet and they had studio tech people in the theatre.

The crowds just loved the suspense and they got to fill question cards out at the end on what they thought of the new film. Most of these sneaks were sold out and the fun working those nights I will never see this audience excitement again.

The best night was the tease sneak showing of 'Molly Brown' at the Paramount Theatre in Oakland showing with 4 track mag sound and Miss Reynolds live in person!

The manager MR Apple was so upset a few months later when they opened with the regular showing of 'Molly Brown' they sent up a MONO 35mm print and gave the stereo 4 track copy to a cinema in San Francisco CA.

I guess there is still some excitement today when a new movie opens on he first day or night before but It is nothing like the days of showmanship in the mid 1960's.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: