Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » First-Run Movies at Home for the Ultra-Rich at Just $2,500 a Pop

Author Topic: First-Run Movies at Home for the Ultra-Rich at Just $2,500 a Pop
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 12-18-2019 11:33 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First-Run Movies at Home for the Ultra-Rich at Just $2,500 a Pop

quote:
Meet Red Carpet Entertainment LLC, the opposite of Netflix in the fast-changing home-video world.

Unlike the famous streaming service, which serves up thousands of films and TV shows to millions of subscribers for about $13 a month, this startup by two entertainment-industry veterans is seeking just 3,000 rich Americans who’ll put up $15,000 and pay $2,500 per movie to watch the latest theatrical releases in their homes.

Since launching in October, Red Carpet has attracted just a sliver of the customers it hopes to sign up in the U.S. in the next two years, founders Fredric Rosen and Dan Fellman say. And they know they aren’t the first to market a high-end, first-run film service to the ultra-rich. But the two say their knowledge of the entertainment industry gives them a fighting chance.

“Everyone is looking for a new, ancillary business,” said Fellman, who spent 37 years at Warner Bros., retiring as president of domestic distribution. “So we thought: How do we start a small, ancillary business, but that’s not disruptive?”

He and Rosen, the former president of Ticketmaster, won’t disclose how their subscriber revenue gets divvied up, but say the studios get the majority. Red Carpet has deals with 10 distributors, including Paramount Pictures, 20th Century Fox, Warner Bros. and Lions Gate Entertainment Corp. With box-office sales slumping and projected to fall again next year, moviemakers are happy to have new customers.

The entrepreneurs, who came up with their plan on the golf course, aren’t alone in targeting super-rich people who don’t want to fight crowds at the theater. Bel Air Cinema has been providing such a service since 2015, mostly outside the U.S.

A few years ago, Imax Corp. invested in a similar project called Prima Cinema, but it never took off. And Sean Parker, the co-founder of Napster and an early Facebook Inc. backer, started Screening Room in 2016. It charged $150 for a set-top box to store movies and $50 to see a film the same time it plays in theaters. The business never gained traction.
Know the Customer

Rosen said Screening Room failed to understand the clientele. The ultra-affluent can afford a perfectly functional $150 leather purse, but wait in line to buy $25,000 Hermes Birkin bags. They want the experience of hosting a dinner party and whisking their friends to their private home cinema after dessert to surprise them with a film that’s otherwise only available in theaters, he said.

“You can buy ‘Two-Buck Chuck’ or an expensive bottle of wine,” Rosen said. “People consume the way they can afford.”

Rosen and Fellman estimate there are 500 to 1,000 households that fit their criteria in both New York and Los Angeles, and then another 50 to 100 in each of the next 30 largest U.S. cities. Their small team at Red Carpet vets potential customers by assessing their credit and interviewing two references.

The pair say they have almost 100 customers, and they’ve made inroads in places that surprised them, like West Virginia and North Carolina. The company is backed by Los Angeles-based OCV Management LLC.

Their most popular movie today is “Ford v Ferrari,” starring Christian Bale and Matt Damon. Red Carpet won’t be able to screen the new “Star Wars” movie that opens Dec. 20 because it doesn’t have a deal with Walt Disney Co. No movie will be priced below $500, and customers get to see a picture twice in a 36-hour period, according to the company website.

So far the only gripe is that the service can’t be used on yachts or in private planes -- for now the company only has domestic rights.

However, Rosen and Fellman are happy to install the technology in summer homes in the Hamptons or ski chalets in Aspen. If the idea catches on, they’ll also launch internationally, to answer calls from potential customers in Europe and the Middle East.

|  IP: Logged

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2019 06:07 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to do some digging to figure out what format Red Carpet is delivering, as their own press materials don't discuss this at all. Turns out to be a consumer-friendly codec (their server is HDMI compatible), running at only 1080p and with only 5.1 PCM audio. Allegedly better than Blu Ray quality picture-wise, but in a world where I only need to wait a few months for the UHD Blu Ray with HDR and Dolby Atmos, I think that's gonna be a hard pass.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-18-2019 06:42 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see how this offers anything that a regular Bel-Air Circuit installation can't. In fact, in terms of the technical specs cited by Daniel, it offers a darn sight less.

$500 is about what a DCP booking of a first-run movie for a Bel-Air Circuit residence costs. For that you get a DCP, and in 4K if it's available in 4K. Admittedly a DCI-compliant projector, media block and server will cost a bit more than $15k plus a high end consumer projector, but not massively more.

I suppose if you don't have the industry contacts and clout to be able to book studio DCPs to play in your home, systems like this might be a viable alternative; but if you are, I can't see the point of them.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2019 07:09 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You beat me to it Leo. I was going to mention the Bel Air Circuit as well. Thats the way to go if one is in the position.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-18-2019 07:54 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, anyone who can easily blow $2500 just to watch a current movie release in the privacy of their home can likely afford to just build a real damned movie theater in their home. DCI-compliant projector and a proper surround sound system, hell even one boasting Dolby Atmos, would be no sweat for someone with many millions to throw around.

With that being said, there's a lot of rich people who are astonishingly cheap when it comes to buying certain kinds of things. Obviously they didn't get rich by casually blowing huge sums of money. I think the Bel Air Circuit setup is tailored for well-off people who work directly in the movie industry or broader entertainment industry.

The way too short release window definitely has to hurt even high end products like this. I think the release window is down to roughly 8 weeks between theatrical release and when people can start buying the movie via digital download. It's solidly inside 3 months for being able to buy the Blu-ray or UHD disc.

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2019 02:22 AM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
I suppose if you don't have the industry contacts and clout to be able to book studio DCPs to play in your home, systems like this might be a viable alternative; but if you are, I can't see the point of them.

I think it's clearly targeted at well-heeled movie buffs who do not have industry contacts. Even in Los Angeles there are probably wealthy lawyers or surgeons who have nice home theatres but no way to get day-and-date DCPs, who will spring for this. For them, the bragging rights of being able to have friends over opening weekend will trump the problem of not having the best possible picture & sound quality.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: