Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Are you gonna get Disney+? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Are you gonna get Disney+?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-20-2019 01:42 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EDIT: After posting this, I realized I already created a thread for this a year ago, called "Are you gonna sign up for Disney's new streaming service?" So I guess we can either weigh in with folk's current opinions here, or the moderartors can delete this thread. It's up to the powers that be.

---------------------------------------------

Time for the latest entry in my long running series of "Are you gonna get" threads, which for you newbies, has previously covered the iPhone, the iPad, the iPhone X, and the Apple HomePod. (Do they even still make that?)

This time our topic is Disney's new streaming service, Disney+.

I'm on the fence about whether to subscribe to Disney+ or not. It has lots of movies I like of course, and it's certainly cheap enough, but do I really have the time to add another channel to my TV menu? In other words, am I that dissatisfied with my current TV channels that I need to add it?

I had thoughts about binge-watching "The Simpsons" (which I think I would enjoy, but have never seen except for the occasional clip) but then I heard that they're "stretching" the early episodes' image to fill wide screen TVs, thereby ruining the already crappy look of the show, so I've kinda lost interest in that.

After thinking about it, I've come to the conclusion that I don't have time to watch what I want to now.... how can I possibly add a ton of Disney movies to the mix? And I don't really give a hoot about "The Mandalorian" or National Geographic, and I really don't have any desire to watch a Marvel or Pixar movie anywhere but on the theatre screen. So I guess I'll wait for the inevitable "bargains" that will come along to try to change my mind.

What about the rest of Film-Tech-dom?

|  IP: Logged

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2019 02:15 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much with you. No time, no current plans on getting the service.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-20-2019 02:17 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-20-2019 03:00 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They did their initial trial launch in the Netherlands and I've had it for free for a few months. I've let the subscription lapse. It might be worth it if you've got some little kids to entertain, but most of the content on there I'm interested in, I do have in the form of a Blu-Ray or DVD.

James Wyrembelski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2019 03:30 PM      Profile for James Wyrembelski   Email James Wyrembelski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got it just to see what was available.

Ive already watched a few of the classics that I don't already own. Been going through the Simpson's and plan on refreshing myself on Star Wars. Once I'm done with that, I'll probably cancel my service...along with Netflix as well.

We generally only use Hulu and Youtube.

Ed Gordon
Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2019 04:02 PM      Profile for Ed Gordon   Email Ed Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, for all the reasons Mike listed. As Marcel points out, having kids will probably have a lot a parents signing up for it. Seven bucks a month for a baby sitter is a pretty good deal.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-20-2019 05:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-20-2019 07:49 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't signed up for Disney+ yet. The $7 per month price seems like a serious bargain. Netflix costs nearly double. HBO is $15 per month.

Ultimately it comes down to content (and having enough free time to watch it).

I'm not really itching to watch The Mandalorian. I've heard it's pretty decent, but still I'm just not Jonesing to check it out. What other original content does Disney+ have to offer? They do have a lot of catalog movies and TV shows, but most of what they have that's good I've seen already.

Is Disney+ mostly just "family-friendly" content? The Mouse House also owns/owned Touchtone Pictures and Hollywood Pictures, two brands that distributed "grown-up" movies, even some that were R-rated. And there's 20th Century Fox' library, which also includes a lot of R-rated movies for adults. Do they offer any of that content? Some of the Marvel content previously on Netflix was definitely not for kids.

The $15 bundle featuring Hulu, Disney+ and ESPN+ seems tempting.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2019 07:55 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a free year of Disney+ from Verizon for having an unlimited data 4G plan. I must say I have really been enjoying The Mandalorian (its actually really good so far)and checking out classic Star Wars episodes in HDR.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-20-2019 08:13 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would sign up for Disney+ right friggin' now if they offered the original "de-specialized" versions of the 1977-83 Star Wars trilogy. Disney is literally leaving money on the table by not offering that on Blu-ray or any other medium.

I read The Digital Bits review of the Star Wars movies as seen on Disney+. They're still the SE versions, complete with numerous additions over the years, including the extreme cringe-inducing "NOOOO" moment on ROTJ. I can't watch that part and I fast forward past the lame music number in Jabba's lair. The Digital Bits said all the original, film-based imagery looks great, but the SE stuff from the 1990's looks even more obvious since it is heavily up-rezzed and even rife with edge enhancement.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2019 09:33 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harmy’s despecialized editions are the only way to go.

No Maclunkey.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-20-2019 10:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
the original "de-specialized" versions of the 1977-83 Star Wars trilogy. Disney is literally leaving money on the table by not offering that on Blu-ray or any other medium.
They don't exist anymore, remember? Isn't that what George L. said?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-20-2019 11:13 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He sounds more like George Orwell than George Lucas at times...

And he may tell the truth to some extend. Maybe they did destroy part of the original camera negatives while making the special editions in the late 90s and has hidden or even destroyed many of the still existing copies of the originals...

Yet, if some dedicated fans and bootleggers on the Internet are capable of making a pretty decent "original restoration", based on multiple "public" sources, then a gazillion dollar company like Disney could surely do so, if they wanted.

But we don't know what's in the contract between the Mouse and George L., maybe he put in a clause that the original trilogy is never to be resurrected. [Wink]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-21-2019 12:21 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As it stands, Star Wars is a property that is AGING, like it or not. People born after the year 2000 probably couldn't give two fucks about that whole saga.. It's NOT their jam. And that's putting it nicely.

That's really where I have to get harsh with both George Lucas and Disney. Both those camps are totally forgetting the people, not to mention the late 70's-early 80's era, that propelled them to success and riches. Their frame of reference does not matter anymore. Their ideas and sense of "creativity" is completely outdated. That was plainly obvious in some of the cringe-inducing dialog written into The Phantom Meanace. They're not young anymore. If they want to keep re-selling this "property" they need to remember the people in MY age group. I was days from my 10th birthday when the first Star Wars movie was released. Now I'm in my early 50's. The version of Star Wars I cherished as a kid isn't the version that was "rendered" in 1997.

Perhaps the Star Wars saga might "speak" to some young adults and children these days. Even if the idea can "sell" it sure as hell ain't selling on any genuine basis of being "new." Star Wars doesn't have any top flight wow-factor like it did 30-40 years ago. So at this point the primary group of people the saga is selling to is the Baby Boomers and Gen-X crowd who loved Star Wars when it was new.

People, like me, who've seen Star Wars countless numbers of times can often quickly identify all the artificial CGI-enhanced scenes that have been cobbled into the movie during the last 20 years. They don't really work. They don't really add anything to the story.

If it was up to me to do a restoration of Star Wars I'd have everything reverted to the original 1977 release as closely as possible. It would even be a judgment call on whether to keep garbage mattes visible around spacecraft. Having had 20 years to look at the SE additions, virtually none of them have improved on the originals. They just need to clean up the original cuts of the first 3 movies as closely as possible.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2019 10:25 AM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, have you seen Harmy's Despecialized Editions?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: