Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The Irishman playing Seattle Cinerama

Author Topic: The Irishman playing Seattle Cinerama
Ed Gordon
Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2019 01:30 PM      Profile for Ed Gordon   Email Ed Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The good news is that The Irishman is playing here in an excellent venue and the local movie critics have good things to say about the film. The bad news is the last scheduled run in Wednesday, November 20th. My understanding is that the nearly 4 hour movie is being shown without an intermission.

And there goes the 3 month window between first run in theaters followed by streaming. It will be streaming on Netflix one week after closing in Seattle.

Reservations available at: https://cinerama.com/Movie.aspx?fc=5106000656

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-16-2019 10:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it's definitely not playing in "many" theaters, the major chains all having refused it due to the barely-any-window thing.

It's probably smart of Netflix to do it this way, actually. Considering it's a movie that would probably have petered out in a traditional release, this way they get a lot more ink about it (thanks to the publicity surrounding the theaters' refusal to book it).

I don't know why any self respecting theater would want to get in bed with Netflix, but I suppose they think they're serving their audience... but they're really not, in the long run.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-17-2019 11:49 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the difference in allowing theatres to have an intermission (especially one like the Seattle Cinerama) versus the streaming customer that hits pause is what? Oh, the theatrical one can be done in a classy way and planned for at the right moment as opposed just because nature calls (or someone else calls or the need for munchies...etc.).

If I owned a theatre, I would have to pass on this one. I think the narrowing of the release window will indeed be the death of most cinemas. NATO and its members should be pushing much harder for the opposite to get that window as close to a year out as possible, with possibly a sliding window based on theatrical release results (poor showings allow for a shorter window but successful theatrical allow for longer release window).

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-17-2019 01:06 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie is only playing in art houses around here and also for a very limited engagement only, but apparently it's selling out. Netflix has struck a deal with an independent

All the chains and seemingly most of the first-run independents have passed on it, although Netflix was apparently lobbying for broader support...

I would very much favor a sliding window for movies. That way, both the studios and the cinemas can make most of it. It's of no use to hold onto a movie that just doesn't draw a crowd and the studio can recoup more money if they put it into "alternative distribution" earlier. Meanwhile, those movies that continue to draw a crowd will earn more money at the box office than they will earn on streaming platforms...

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-17-2019 01:40 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly! I'll take a it a step further, there should be a sliding scale on the Master Contract on how long 1st run cinemas should have to play a movie based on location/past performance. If you serve a smaller geographic region is is ridiculous to require a small-town theatre to play a title 4-6 weeks when 2-weeks is all that is needed to cover the entire region.

The mentality of holding a theatre captive for big-studio movie when the movie is played out (in the region) is wrong headed. it is better for all regions to go to the movies more often than to just box out the competitive studio. In the long run, a thriving cinema market will benefit all parties.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-17-2019 03:42 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is scheduled to open next week in Montgomery at the New Visions Chantilly. I'm really curious to see how a 31/2hr movie grosses. I passed on it for a variety of reasons, but the length was certainly one of them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: