Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Scorsese’s Radical Attack on Marvel Movies

Author Topic: Scorsese’s Radical Attack on Marvel Movies
Ed Gordon
Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2019 05:07 PM      Profile for Ed Gordon   Email Ed Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In this article Richard Brody pulls together points of view and long term implications of how motion pictures are being made and shown.

A few quotes from the article:

quote:
The synergy of streaming giants and concentrated franchise-bound studios represents a new and perhaps even more oppressive and totalizing centralization of movie production, an even more thoroughgoing corporate control of filmmaking and film distribution than what existed in the age of the almighty studios. Without mentioning Disney, Scorsese deftly casts some unambiguous and defiant shade in its direction. Disney, which is about to integrate itself vertically with the launch of its streaming service, Disney+, recently expanded horizontally, with the purchase of Fox; grave concerns have surfaced regarding its stewardship of the Fox catalogue (which, of course, reaches back to the nineteen-twenties and includes classics ranging from films by Ford and F. W. Murnau to ones by Terrence Malick and Wes Anderson).

As Matt Zoller Seitz recently reported in an indispensable piece at Vulture, Disney has placed stringent restrictions on the screening of classic Fox titles, granting primacy to nonprofit venues (such as Film Forum and the Museum of the Moving Image). Seitz paraphrases the remarks of one industry professional, who asked to remain anonymous, regarding Disney’s apparent motive: “Disney considers any screen that’s taken up by an older movie, even one that’s owned by Disney, to be a screen that could be showing the new Marvel or ‘Star Wars’ title instead. Or showing ‘Orangutans 4’ to an audience of three.”

quote:
After all, the best movie of the decade (the envelope, please), Scorsese’s “The Wolf of Wall Street,” is far more than a study of financial chicanery and greed. It’s a story of desire and its framework: its rhetoric, its performance, and its transmission. Like a footnote to that great movie, Scorsese’s new essay isn’t a practical prescription; it’s a personal and profound vision of a social order distorted by greed.

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-07-2019 05:13 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Radical?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-07-2019 05:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hardly radical...

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-07-2019 09:20 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hasn't it been a couple weeks since some of us had a discussion about this topic on Facebook?

To sum up what I said there: Scorsese is justified to cast very negative criticism at the movie industry's New Studio System. But Marvel movies are a very bad example to use in that criticism.

People say they're sick and tired of super hero movies. Like it not, Marvel keeps delivering on a pretty consistent basis. While those movies may not qualify as "art" to a few high brow film critics, most Marvel movies score very well on Rotten Tomatoes' Tomato Meter, typically in the 80%-90% range. Avengers: Endgame was well into the 90th percentile. Even more important, Marvel's movies keep raking in the box office dollars.

I think Scorsese would have done better to point out the far greater number of shitty sequels and re-makes. The big studios are so bent on doing sequels and re-makes that they'll make 8 fucking sequels of a bad horror movie that didn't even do well at the box office in the first place. The studios and their Wall Street overlords would rather do that than green light a production based on a new fucking idea.

The big studios based in the United States don't see the danger they're courting. People talk about how we're currently in a "golden age of TV." One reason why binge-watching TV series on services like Netflix has become so popular is that conventional Hollywood 2 hour movies have become so stale, tame and predictable. You gotta look elsewhere for fresh and edgy content. Netflix and Amazon have been upsetting a lot of established norms.

The movie industry is also a world-wide market. There's more than just Americans making movies. And if us Yankees become too fixated on repeating ourselves, thinking we can sell the same fucking ideas over and over again in re-used packaging, we won't have any right to be surprised if China, France, England or whoever comes along and bitch-slaps the hell out of us. The American movie industry is asking for it. Big time. It could be something far more Earth-shaking than what the British invasion did for popular music in the 1960's.

Given the purely shit term Hollywood studios have been dictating to American theater chains, I'm sure theater operators might eventually be open to booking some break-through content not controlled by the Mouse House. Of course, the US Government could turn into even more of a whore and completely reverse the Paramount Consent Decrees, allowing Hollywood studios to own and control theater chains again. I could actually see this happening if chains like Cinemark, AMC, Regal, etc get on the brink of failure.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-10-2019 12:57 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
...we won't have any right to be surprised if China, France, England or whoever comes along and bitch-slaps the hell out of us.
Can't see it happening. With France and China, you have both the language barrier and the fact that their film production industries are largely government-controlled and financed, with movies being made for political and/or cultural reasons, not in order to make money at the box office. In all my adult life I can think of precisely one French movie that was a big commercial hit in the UK and the USA, and made money, without any indirect subsidy from arthouse distributors and/or nonprofit theaters. That was Taxi, and it made money because its producers imitated the form and style of a 1990s Hollywood action blockbuster.

As for England, the output of its film industry has, since the 1920s, consisted either of gritty, realist, Ken Loach-style virtue signalling melodramas, or heritage movie TV adaptations (Downton Abbey, anyone?) that will go down well with the PBS crowd, but are never going to pack the 'plexes on a regular basis.

My gut feeling is that if Hollywood doesn't start to make the sort of movies that a large audience wants to see again, and pretty quickly, other centers of production will spring up within the USA to fill the gap in the market. We are already seeing the beginnings of that.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-10-2019 03:23 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't be so sure that it cannot happen elsewhere. The only thing you need is a big chunk of money, some studios and filming facilities and there are big, empty studios all over the world. Provide sufficient funding to lure away a bunch of big names, especially if they don't need to fight to get their original projects geen-lighted and you may as well get a flywheel starting.

Yes, you're going to miss all the production facilities a city like L.A. is providing, but on the other hand, most other locations around the world are far cheaper and most of the services L.A. has to offer are available elsewhere too.

In the past we had a pretty serious Italian film industry too, many of the great American epics from the 1950s and 1960s were filmed in Rome.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-10-2019 06:48 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's going to be really interesting to see if Tyler Perry can do any damage to Hollywood with his new Atlanta studio. He still relies on the Hollywood distribution system (as far as I know, I've never shown his movies), but that is pretty easy to jettison. If he can create Hollywood SE, or at least Black Hollywood he could be a game changer.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-10-2019 07:26 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hollywood wanted a cheaper distribution system, so they pushed DCI down the exhibitor's throat: either learn to swim or drown! That was their motto. What they forgot is that they eliminated one of their own exclusivities in that process...

Everybody can make DCPs, put them on a bunch of hard-disks and ship them around...

Hollywood distribution system? They footed the bill for the 35mm prints and took that major part of the risk on them. That risk is almost negligible now. Thank you, Hollywood!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-10-2019 07:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Very well put Marcel. The switch to digital was very carefully orchestrated by the studios to eliminate film (so the studios could cut their costs of making prints and enforce control), but in the end it will likely bite them in the ass.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2019 08:37 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I look at the popular Marvel movies the same way I do the info-mercial industry. Just because millions and millions of people buy the stuff and spend their money on it, doesn't make it good. They are extremely formulaic and have a core audience in mind. Shoot em ups are very similar. In small doses they are a lot of fun but good lord. Honestly the masses have always pandered to one thing or another. Its nothing new.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-11-2019 09:42 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
Can't see it happening. With France and China, you have both the language barrier and the fact that their film production industries are largely government-controlled and financed, with movies being made for political and/or cultural reasons, not in order to make money at the box office.
Nevertheless the movie industry has gone deep into uncharted territory. A lot of old, established conventions could get up-ended. I'm not saying American theaters are going to get overrun with Mandarin language movies in English subtitles. On the other hand, Chinese companies have been funding a lot of "American" productions. Backers from the Middle East and other territories are involved. Those foreigners are getting wise to how the system works.

Then you have to consider the worsening raw deal big Hollywood studios have been sticking down the throats of American theater operators. The cinemas are already tired of eating big studio shit. I'm sure they would love it if credible alternatives with better terms came along. Hollywood acts like it has the only game around, but it's not going to stay like that. Digital technology is one factor. Production and posting studios popping up in places well outside Hollywood is another factor.

I'm hoping the glut of streaming service providers and glut of TV series and made-for-streaming movies will help create more American production companies and content distributors outside Hollywood. Movie and TV productions are all using the same kind of glorified video cameras and other gear. It should be possible for these upstarts to establish a back channel of sorts to get content onto movie theater screens.

quote: Leo Enticknap
My gut feeling is that if Hollywood doesn't start to make the sort of movies that a large audience wants to see again, and pretty quickly, other centers of production will spring up within the USA to fill the gap in the market. We are already seeing the beginnings of that.
Los Angeles is already a shadow of its former self in terms of movie and TV production. Initially the production exodus was driven by the need of getting out from under the thumb of the Teamsters and other unions. But lately it has been about other American states (and other countries around the world) offering better tax and financing deals. There is a shit-ton of movie and TV production taking place in Georgia that doesn't involve Tyler Perry. New Mexico has a great deal of production happening there. Texas has a pretty decent amount of activity too. Louisiana has been getting in on the act. Toronto and Vancouver are both major hubs of TV and movie production. And then there's the "American" productions that get shot over in Australia or New Zealand.

Here in Oklahoma people are trying to foster more TV and movie production in the state. This past Friday there was a cattle call in Oklahoma City and El Reno for some scenes in a movie starring Matt Damon. They were wanting people with oil field experience and offered additional bonuses if they brought their own vehicles or work trucks. But none of the vehicles could be white, black or red. Why are those vehicle colors an issue? Is that a color grading thing?

quote: Jarod Reddig
I look at the popular Marvel movies the same way I do the info-mercial industry. Just because millions and millions of people buy the stuff and spend their money on it, doesn't make it good. They are extremely formulaic and have a core audience in mind.
If Marvel's movies were that bad (or formulaic) they wouldn't be scoring very well on average with both movie critics and movie-goers. Marvel's movies aren't in any danger of winning top category Oscars like Best Picture. At the same time they're really not any more formulaic than most other movies being churned out by Hollywood distributors. If anything, Marvel's movies have to walk a delicate tight rope of being true enough to the original source material while maintaining a story line that runs through "phases" of multiple movie releases. And they have to be crowd pleasing too. Most other Hollywood movies can be cranked out directly from the Save the Cat! clip art template. They even change movie adaptations from books to conform to the rules of the Save the Cat! bible. Not enough book readers get pissed about those alterations.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2019 02:43 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see your point on the formula of other movies being similar. Its getting worse and worse but its been that way a long time. Bobby I don't think you quite understood my post or maybe I didnt explain myself good enough. Ive never been a believer that popular opinion is correct or of importance and Metacritic is just that. And many of these reviewers get paid off for favorable reviews or vice/versa. No thanks. Ive never seek out an opinion on such things as movies or food, although food reviews while also subjective can have their use.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-11-2019 06:06 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't buy the idea that critics are somehow paid off shills. But I don't put it past some of the more obscure ones to whore out rave reviews to otherwise bad movies in order to get their names used in the movie's advertising. Nevertheless any reputable movie critic does not establish that reputation by following any sort of lead from others.

Critics often disagree with each other to varying degrees. Ultimately that's the big attraction to aggregate score systems like Rotten Tomatoes' meter or the one from Metacritic. If a broad group of critics show a strong consensus up or down on a given movie that can a more reliable metric rather than going by the opinion of just one critic. Considering what it costs to visit a first run theater, the Tomato Meter does often figure into my own choice whether to pay more to see a movie at the theater versus waiting a short time to watch it on TV at home.

If anything, I think modern day critics are far too easy on current movie releases. There is a LOT of repeated formula being applied. If a production does a good enough job executing that formula most critics are going to be compelled to at least give the content a passing grade. Most critics are not trying to judge what qualifies as "art." They're mainly judging on whether they themselves liked the movie at all and if they think others could feel the same.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-11-2019 06:26 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Given the purely shit term Hollywood studios have been dictating to American theater chains, I'm sure theater operators might eventually be open to booking some break-through content not controlled by the Mouse House.
What do you mean "eventually?" I'm ready to book some break-through content not controlled by the Mouse House right now..... if it's something people will come to see. That's a high bar to jump over if you're not a "tentpole" these days.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: