Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Frozen II: How big will it be?

Author Topic: Frozen II: How big will it be?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-08-2019 11:23 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it's just me, but there seems to be a weird vibe surrounding Frozen II. First of all the trailers are kind of dark and gloomy and seem to be setting up a movie that's completely different in tone from the first one. The third trailer, just released, is the most "upbeat" of them all (containing some actual humor) but still makes it come off like Elsa is going to be some kind of kick-ass action hero.

Also, the reactions around here to the posters has been pretty flat. Usually when we put up new posters for kid movies, I hear kids commenting excitedly about them.... not so for this one.

It is true that we HAVE been beaten over the head with Frozen ever since it became a big hit the first time around. So I wonder if the "bloom is off the rose" and this one is going to be a little less massive than I thought it would when it first was announced. Maybe they waited too long for a sequel.

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-09-2019 01:30 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney is definitively keeping their Frozen franchise alive and there still is a lot of buzz in the market. They keep their Disney stores stocked with Frozen franchise and they're currently developing two themepark expansions based on Frozen, one in Tokyo and the other in Paris and future expansions to American parks is to be expected.

While the franchise obviously mostly appeals to young girls, they tend to drag at least one adult with them.

All in all, I think the movie is going to be pretty successful, although I somewhat doubt it will repeat the same thing as the original did. Still, hardly something you can afford to miss if you're in the first-run business and target a broad audience.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-09-2019 01:47 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
Still, hardly something you can afford to miss if you're in the first-run business and target a broad audience.
Oh we'll definitely play it, I'm just not feeling the excitement in the crowds around here for this movie like we do for a typical "highly anticipated" film. Of course their marketing hasn't really kicked in yet, so what that happens things could change.

James Wyrembelski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2019 08:02 PM      Profile for James Wyrembelski   Email James Wyrembelski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I just put the Frozen one sheet outside. Haven't heard anything yet about it.

Really, I haven't heard much of anything recently. The only one I had people screaming about was Downton, and of course the small guys had to wait. [Mad]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-10-2019 12:29 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie studios need to come up with some new ideas, and not necessarily ones pre-censored for Chinese audience consumption.

Oops. I guess I probably won't be able to gain entry into China now if I was inclined to visit.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-10-2019 01:46 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if the new Frozen movie will fall in this category, but the "Chinafication" of Hollywood is certainly an issue for the quality of the releases and I don't really understand why it needs to be done. The Chinese market is sufficiently big to carry their own releases, targeted at their mainstream audience's taste and compatible with their political environment.

quote: Bobby Henderson
Oops. I guess I probably won't be able to gain entry into China now if I was inclined to visit.
If this post ever gets popular, they simply block it in their big firewall. [Wink]

But apparently, getting in isn't such a problem, when they have you on the watch-list. But getting out... Sorry, there's something wrong with your visa, sir. Yes, it does happen.

quote: Mike Blakesley
Oh we'll definitely play it, I'm just not feeling the excitement in the crowds around here for this movie like we do for a typical "highly anticipated" film. Of course their marketing hasn't really kicked in yet, so what that happens things could change.
For whatever reason, Disney seemingly chose to start their marketing campaign for this one relatively late. Maybe it's the "Car Manufacturers Strategy", where you delay announcements of new models until the latest time possible, as not to hurt sales for your current models. The Frozen-themed merchandise is still a major source of revenue for Disney. Frozen 2 seems to introduce lots of new things, including new toys, that have already appeared in Disney stores around the world...

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-10-2019 11:35 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The South Park episode "Band in China" (which is now banned in China) was awesome.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-16-2019 06:03 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for bringing it up. I've not watched South Park for a while now, I guess I've grown a bit tired of it, but their political satire is sometimes pretty slam dunk.

You can watch the full episode (legally) online here.

Apparently, just this episode was sufficient for China's censors to try to eradicate the whole of South Park from the Chinese version of the Internet...

If the future of Hollywood is one, in which every story needs to gets pre-approved by Chinese censors, then count me out of that future. Hollywood was never shy to criticize their own government, which is how it's supposed to be... Pretty ironic they now shy away from criticizing autocracies abroad, simply because of the fear of being banned from those markets.

Keep in mind where this might eventually end. AMC for example, is owned by the Chinese. They might even decide to censor certain movies towards the American public...

Strange times we're living in...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-16-2019 12:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
Disney seemingly chose to start their marketing campaign for this one relatively late.
Not really any later than usual.... the first trailer appeared in early summer. It was SO different from the first movie, it was borderline shocking. The new third trailer has lightened things up a little, including a little "Olaf" comic relief.

I guess I'm not sure which side of the story audiences liked the most about the first one.... the love story angle or the "adventure/girl power" angle. It's pretty obvious which angle Disney is playing up with the sequel. But a lot of "girl power" movies have flopped recently. I hope they didn't misjudge on this one.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-23-2019 02:59 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Disney concept is usually not to just bet on a single story trick and that's probably also what made the first Frozen movie successful.

You had the classical love story part that appeals to the young teenagers up to mom joining the little one and the "power girl" aspect which usually appeals most to the youngest audience. Then you had the comic relief that appealed mostly to all ages.

The idea of a perfect Disney movie is the real family movie, where every family member at least gets something for them to identify with... But Disney isn't always paying attention to their own teachers of the past, they're sometimes distracted what others are doing, so sure if they pull that off with this one...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: