Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » IRISHMAN Booked into Broadway Theater (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: IRISHMAN Booked into Broadway Theater
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2019 02:53 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Netflix has booked THE IRISHMAN into Broadway's Belasco Theatre. The movie will open for at least a month on November 1.

Screenings will be on a Broadway-style 8 shows a week schedule, keeping Monday as a dark day. Tickets will be $15.

The Belasco seats approximately 1,000. This will be the first movie shown in this theatre.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2019 04:21 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a very interesting development. I wonder if they will do the same in Los Angeles. There are still live event theaters in downtown L.A. that are motion picture capable - the Los Angeles, The Orpheum, and the Million Dollar to name three. The AMPAS rules for Best Picture call for "paid admission in a commercial motion picture theater in Los Angeles County". I wonder if that would qualify.

I had some sympathy for the exhibition industry position on Netflix titles up until about a month ago. But during this year's Toronto Film Festival, Cineplex, Canada's largest circuit, refused to allow Netflix films to play at their Scotiabank Theatre even in the context of a not-for-profit film festival. That's a level of corporate ball-breaking that frankly drops even the pretense of the "specialness" of big-screen moviegoing.

I saw The Irishman last week. I didn't really care for it overall, it's nearly four hours long and there is some digital fakery going on that was pretty distracting. Even so, I thought it was definitely a picture best experienced on a big screen, and I think that there must be some commercial potential to it for theaters, even if you can only do three shows a day. Too bad Regal, AMC and the others won't even consider it. It's all about the commerce, not the art.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-08-2019 09:40 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How old is the theatre that it has never played a movie?

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2019 11:15 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the good old roadshow days may be coming back to a large cinema near you? I wonder how large and wide the screen will be in this theatre and what type of stereo sound system they will use? Will the screen be curved or flat for this NYC showing? They need to have a intermission like they did in the past roadshow years.

In Hollywood CA It's time to re open the long closed Warner Hollywood Cinerama Theatre and run 'Irishman' on a large screen! Is this new movie in 1.85 flat or scope?

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2019 11:58 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flat.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2019 03:07 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Belasco theatre is 112 years old.

From the Schubert Organization site:

David Belasco opened the Stuyvesant in October 1907, having already bequeathed his name on his 42nd St playhouse, now the New Victory. When he relinquished the 42nd St theatre in 1910, he immediately renamed the Stuyvesant as the Belasco.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-09-2019 06:34 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
112 years old. I'm willing to bet (but too tired to research) that it has played movies at sometime in its life.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-10-2019 09:07 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope -- film was never run at the Belasco until this engagement of The Irishman...or so sez Wikipedia.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-16-2019 07:32 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wikipedia's source for that is Netflix's press release, so I'll stick with my suspicion. The history on Wikipedia is scarce and some pretty big gaps.

I can't claim encyclopedic knowledge of every theatre in the US, but every theatre I've looked into from the early cinema period at least showed some films, if only as part or filler for vaudeville shows. They may not have run "feature" films (under whatever definition was used at the time) but they did screen them. And as projection equipment was portable in the early years, they didn't have to have equipment installed.

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2019 01:48 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems the Shubert people at the NYC Belasco Theatre think they are showing a Broadway show and not a DCP movie. I don't see all the $15 tickets for sale they claimed? Most reserved seats are bought through ticket companies for the 'Irishman' and they are not cheap most are $63, $77, $89 and even some for $121+ for a movie that will be on TV in a few weeks.

Maybe this is the new thing in big cities for Netflik. They book a popular new film for a few weeks before It can be a download and show in a big fancy stage theatre and let It go to all the ticket scalpers for way over the top prices!

Yes the days of roadshows may have come back in 2019 but not at the prices you paid in the 1950's & 60's and not in 70mm film either with a intermission,program,curtains and a overture.

The shocking thing is at the Shubert Belasco Theatre NYC many of the 'Irishman' shows are sold out! Every one is getting in on the advanced admission cash to see this new movie. The Shuberts probably kept all the union ushers and stage staff for this special movie event and they love the extra $.

I wonder If they even open and close the curtains or give out programs? If you are from NY let us know how the portable fly up screen, picture and stereo sound was at this theatre, and how much you had to pay to be Irish for the day.

When the 'Irishman' opens at the San Francisco Castro Theatre on Nov 11 for a exclusive one week window run I hope they don't see what is going on with the Shuberts in NY at the Belasco Theatre.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2019 01:56 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine just last night bought his tickets online for the Belasco Theatre at telecharge.com, after all the fees the tickets came to $18.50 each.

Does anyone know if there is an intermission? I am debating between seeing this in a theatre or waiting for Netflix. I am not going to sit in a 3½ hour movie with no intermission.

Also, how is the presentation at the Belasco Theatre? Does the screen have masking? Is there surround sound? As the Belasco is a live stage theatre, anything movie related will have to be brought in and set up special with this show.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2019 02:11 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mitchell Dvoskin
Does anyone know if there is an intermission?
I've run a couple of pre-release screenings in the past month, and there
is no intermission. I sat & watched it a private screening last Sunday,
and it didn't "feel" like a 3.5hr movie to me, although the general
consensus among everyone there that day was that they thought it
could have been "a little shorter", & I can't say I disagree with that.
- - but I made it through the whole 3.5hrs OK, although I made sure
I did a major bladder purge before the movie started.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2019 02:58 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's also playing at the IFC Center on Sixth Avenue in the Village. Excellent projection and sound.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2019 06:32 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NY Times article today confirmed no intermission. There were some published pictures of surround speakers. No other technical details.

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2019 08:07 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mitchell for the price information. You do have to look around for the best deal. When you do a search for 'Irishman' Belasco Theatre NYC all these expensive ticket broker places show up. I wonder how many movie goers pay the high price?

I have been told the 'Irishman' movie sound is kinda of soft, many cinemas have turned up the sound, same with the surrounds.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: