Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Gift cards sent to far flung locations

Author Topic: Gift cards sent to far flung locations
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-16-2019 12:27 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a link on our website that allows people to buy our gift cards on the web.

We also have one of the most common movie theater names there is -- Roxy.

You can imagine where this is going.

Over the past couple of years I've probably gotten at least $500 worth of gift card orders from places like Nashville, Los Angeles, and other far-off places, most of which are at least 2000 miles from here.

The names of the gift recipients are never anybody I've heard of.... and as a lifer in these parts, I've heard of practically everybody.

Our website has a picture of the theater on it, along with a slogan "Eastern Montana's best little movie theater" so I can only surmise these people think if a card says Roxy on it, it'll work in any Roxy, as if we're a chain. Or, maybe they have a Roxy Theater in their vicinity and they think they're buying a local gift card.

None of these card buyers has ever contacted us to say they made a mistake. Maybe they're embarrassed to admit it, or the gift recipient gets a laugh out of it, figures Grandma didn't know what she was doing shopping on the web, and sets the card aside and forgets about it.

Whatever's happening, it's great because nobody ever redeems these far-flung cards, so I'm happy to hang onto the money. Our cards never expire, so who knows.... maybe years from now, somebody will redeem one when they're on vacation or something.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 09-16-2019 12:47 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a Melville Theatre in Australia that does live performances. I occasionally get an email from someone wanting to buy tickets for something being performed there but I just forward it for them.

They accidentally printed my email address on one of their posters some years back (I have no idea how they managed that).

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-16-2019 07:06 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Avon Cinema in Rhode Island occasionally has people who show up at the box office who had looked up the show times for the Avon Theatre in Connecticut. They then wonder why a different title is playing....

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2019 10:00 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We get the same thing happening at our place.

The North York Drive-in (in Newmarket,Ontario) was originally opened in 1955 and was owned by the same family for over 50 years. It closed in 2012 when they didn't have the funds to convert to digital projection. A year later it was bought and re-opened by Premiere Theatres and promptly renamed "The Stardust Drive-In".

Since we own www.stardustdrivein.com, naturally their customers go to our website to find movie times and information. They are usually in for a rude awakening when they arrive at their local drive-in to see totally different movies are showing.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-18-2019 04:29 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Whatever's happening, it's great because nobody ever redeems these far-flung cards, so I'm happy to hang onto the money. Our cards never expire, so who knows.... maybe years from now, somebody will redeem one when they're on vacation or something.
Maybe a bit off-topic, but don't you get into accounting trouble by having gift cards that never expire? Technically, all gift cards being bought need to be accounted as some kind of short-term debt, yet those cards that never get redeemed, because they're lost or nobody cares about them keep piling up in that debt.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2019 05:12 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
Maybe a bit off-topic, but don't you get into accounting trouble by having gift cards that never expire? Technically, all gift cards being bought need to be accounted as some kind of short-term debt, yet those cards that never get redeemed, because they're lost or nobody cares about them keep piling up in that debt.
GAAP is much more forgiving about such things than IFRS.

https://www.firmofthefuture.com/content/gift-card-accounting-part-1-the-gaap-standards/

"Who doesn’t love gift cards? They’re a perfect and easy way to get your gift shopping done. Once upon a time, giving gift cards wasn’t as respectable as buying an actual tangible gift, but today, they’re more popular than ever.

Since 1999, gift card purchases have exploded, from $19 billion to an expected $160 billion in 2018. Consumers love them as a way to give someone a gift without worrying about picking the right size or color. Retailers love them because they put money in the cash register right away.

Accounting for the sale and redemption of gift cards under GAAP is pretty straightforward.

When the card is sold, the company debits cash and credits a corresponding gift card liability. As cards are redeemed, the liability is debited and revenue is recognized as a credit to sales, but

what about the unused portions of gift cards, known in the industry as “breakage?” Breakage results most commonly when the remaining value on the gift card is negligible, or when the owner loses it. Across the country, it’s estimated that about $1 billion of the value of gift cards sold every year is never used.

For gift cards with no expiration date, the legal obligation to provide goods and services never expires. Leaving this on the balance sheet indefinitely results in a perpetually growing liability, which doesn’t reflect reality. The seller has the cash, and after enough time has passed, it’s unlikely that the gift card owner will ever redeem it. As a result, the seller really doesn’t owe the owner anything.

Back in 2016, FASB issued Accounting Standards Update (ASU) 2016-09, Revenue from Contracts with Customers (Topic 606), to address this issue. This standard is effective for public companies beginning in 2018 and for non-public companies in 2019. This new standard is part of the convergence between IFRS and U.S. GAAP, and is an attempt to create some uniformity in how companies deal with this.

The new guidance provides two methods for systematically recognizing breakage revenue in earnings. Without a standard means of recognition, this liability could otherwise remain on the balance sheet forever.

The Proportionate Method

Under this method, recognition of breakage revenue is tied to the redemption of gift cards. Breakage revenue is recognized on a pro-rata basis in proportion to the value of actual redemptions. To use this method, the company needs to determine their historic pattern of breakage. Using this pattern, the company estimates the value of the new cards that are unlikely to be redeemed as these cards are sold.

For example, Lesley’s Book Shop has sold gift cards for years and determines that historically 10 percent of the gift cards sold are never redeemed. That means that when Lesley’s sells $1,000 of gift cards in December, $900 worth will be redeemed and $100 of those will never be used. During January, $540 of those cards sold in December is redeemed. This means that $540/$900 = 60 percent were redeemed.

Now, apply that percentage to the estimated amount of breakage to get the amount that needs to be recognized in January: 60 percent times $100 = $60 will be recognized. Here are the journal entries for these transactions:

Sale of the gift cards in December:

DR Cash: 1,000

CR Gift Card Liability: 1,000

Redemption of the gift cards in January:

DR Gift Card Liability: 540

CR Gift Card Revenue: 540

Proportionate recognition of breakage income in January:

DR Gift Card Liability: 60

CR Breakage Revenue: 60

Using this method requires retailers to have enough data to determine their historic pattern of breakage. Retailers lacking this data will recognize breakage revenue using the remote method.

The Remote Method

Under the remote method, revenue is recognized when the likelihood of use becomes remote. For a retailer, this may be deemed to happen when a card hasn’t been used for a certain period of time.

Escheat Laws

A further wrinkle with gift cards is the escheat laws on the books of some states. Escheat statutes require retailers to turn over unredeemed portions of gift cards after three to five years. For some states, it’s the entire unredeemed balance, but most commonly 60 percent of the balance is paid over to the state.

The new guidance does not apply to those portions that are subject to escheatment laws. A listing of escheatment laws by state can be found here."

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-18-2019 06:57 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
That's something I never thought about to be honest. I mean, I know some cards never get redeemed, but we don't have an accounting line for that. I believe I will NOT bring it up to our accountant, because it might open up a whole can of worms I'd rather not open. (It's not like a whole bunch of 8-year-old cards are all going to hit the boxoffice at once.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: