Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » NY Times Movie Ads

Author Topic: NY Times Movie Ads
Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2019 10:00 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have any of you noticed in the last 6 months in the Friday 'NY Times Arts Section' the movie theatre ads have been reduced?

We used to enjoy buying the NY Times in SF on Fridays to see all the new movies opening on Friday and reviews. Seems like the movie studios along with the theatre chains no longer want to advertise their new opening product each week.

In yesterdays Fri Aug 23 NY Times the movie ads just had a 1/2 page display listing. In the past there would be huge full page movie ads plus smaller ads for the small art cinemas in the NYC area.

I know on the West Coast we may get a different edition then in NY of the Times but I have been told by my East Coast NYC film friends the movie listing ads most have all been cut way down in the last few months.

Even the Broadway theatre ads have gone way down lately in the newspaper for NYC.

I think the movie studios just think the public will hear of a new movie opening and what cinema it is playing at in NYC on line and not bother to pay the Times the huge fee for display advertising?

Two times a year now the NY Times does a special on what movies that are coming out around the USA in the Fall/Christmas season along with the Summer movie openings.

I have in my movie theatre collection many old movie theatre display listing from the 1950's with the start of CinemaScopeŽ along with Todd-AOŽ, 3D and CineramaŽ up to about the late 1990's when things changed all over the USA with newspaper cinema listings with huge full page or smaller ads each week.

The movie chains and studios cut way back on advertising and the local newspaper per inch rates went way up. It was so much fun to see all the small neighborhood theatres that had a group column listing in each city all over the USA. No more flyers around to tell you what is 'now playing' or 'coming soon' to the local cinemas.

I think the computer/internet killed the nice art that you would see each week with these newspaper display ads along with the classic one sheets that every cinema had in their small window lighted display cases out front. Most new multiplex theatres these days have no plastic letters or even a marquee to show you outside what is playing inside.

Looks like we won't be buying the expensive $ NY Times newspaper every Friday in the future. I don't like to read newspapers on line to see the small ads that most on line newspapers don't even put in the movie listings.

This is not just in NY I think, all major cities have dropped the movie display ads like the LA Times, the Friday & Sunday Calendar section is almost dead.

Over the years I have put together some nice 20x30 framed old collages from major city newspaper movie listing display ads and have on my walls around my Tiki lounge in San Francisco.

The SF film projection king 'Jim Cassidy' visited my crowded SF Twin Peaks place yesterday 8/23 Friday for the first time and he really enjoyed all the classic hard to find movie theatre memorabilia and display movie ads from the days when studios and movie circuit chains where glad to advertise what they had playing on their screens.

Soon there may be a day in the near future when all the stay at home download/streaming movie TV computer folks won't see any movie ads in their local newspaper at all?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-24-2019 10:10 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The main thing that has been "cut way down" is the number of people reading printed newspapers. That's why you're seeing fewer ads (and smaller ads) ... the eyeballs aren't there anymore, therefore the value is reduced.

Meanwhile the papers are raising rates in hopes of keeping the same amount of money coming in from their fewer advertisers.

When we go on vacations we often like to see a movie....we used to always buy a local paper to see what was playing, but now we look on our phones. It's the way of the world.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2019 10:39 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you are a home subscriber to the print edition it's getting damn near impossible to actually buy a copy of the New York Times, even near my home just 15 miles from the city. I get it everyday to read and do the crossword, and the 7-11 down the street from me has a couple of copies, but that's about it. Starbucks was a good alternative, but they just announced that they will stop carrying newspapers in October. Really, the print edition is about dead. Not much point advertising in something increasingly hard to find.

For myself? Fandango's app. Locations and showtimes, with distance filters, just a touch away. It's just how things are done now.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-24-2019 11:10 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm certainly not the stay-at-home kind of guy, but I've not checked newspapers for movie listings in like 20 years. I may be an early adopter of the Internet, but I've always referred real-time on-site movie listings to make up my mind compared to "analog listings" .

James Wyrembelski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2019 03:14 PM      Profile for James Wyrembelski   Email James Wyrembelski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our local paper begged us to advertise movies in the weekly paper. I just could not justify the expense. With Google, websites, a phone line,a marquee, and Facebook it's hard to tack on a paper ad that's way more expensive than any other form of advertising.

There used to be 3 theaters that advertised in the paper, ours included, way back when the previous owner first took over. It's slowly dwindled down to only one, which is the closest plex. Even they stopped advertising showtimes and now simply list their phone number. I wonder when they will quit as well.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-24-2019 03:20 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Honolulu Star Advertiser no loner have any movie advertisements at all anymore since almost a year and I miss them.

In the old days, the movie page (s) used to be my favorite part of the newspaper when they had large displays ads spread across the page and sometimes, two.

-Claude

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-24-2019 04:23 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We still advertise in the paper, but there's not much point... the week after we played the most recent Spider-Man, they accidentally ran our ad for Spider-Man again, rather than the new show we had on. Not one person called to inquire or said anything about the mistake.

We used to advertise in 3 papers too, now just down to our one local weekly. It costs us about $80 a month for the paper ad, and keeping a relationship with the paper is important to me because anytime we do any kind of remodel or other newsworthy thing, they're happy to run an article about it. Their readership is dwindling though... the young crowd doesn't subscribe much, so the handwriting may be on the wall for them.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 08-24-2019 05:12 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There must be something about Spider-Man and newspaper advertising:

Link

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-24-2019 07:11 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The decay of the traditional newspaper business is a bit of a sad story. Not so much that their paper-form of delivery is disapearing, it's that their whole organizations simply seem to die out, being replaced with nothing of the same value.

While a big player like the NY Times may manage to get sufficient on-line subscribers to whether the storm in a slimmed down version, the writing is on the wall for the many smaller and especially more local newspapers.

It's a bit frightening, because real journalism simply cost real money to do so. Real journalism also comes with some responsibility. The responsibility to mostly get it right and face potential consequences if you don't honor that responsibility.

On-line news is often nothing more than some general copy/paste work from some generic source and nowadays people even think that Facebook and Twitter are credible sources of "news". None comes with any responsibility attached, yet people often falsely attach a lot of credibility to it.

It causes for ever more people to end up living inside their own feedback-loop-fed information bubble echo chamber, often caused by "virtual feedback loops" from social networks, and you can see how hordes of people end up being miss-informed about a particular topic.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-24-2019 09:49 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Terry Monohan
I think the computer/internet killed the nice art that you would see each week with these newspaper display ads along with the classic one sheets that every cinema had in their small window lighted display cases out front. Most new multiplex theatres these days have no plastic letters or even a marquee to show you outside what is playing inside.
In terms of theater signs and marquees, it's not just practical to put a marquee with thick slotted Wagner letters on metal rails and expect to list every show that's playing at the theater. Modern theaters have more screens and often have more than one movie doubled up on the smaller screens. A big LED jumbotron display would be a great alternative. Some major movie theaters (like the El Capitan) have them built into ornate marquees. But the cost is pretty substantial.

I do think movie theaters need to work harder on their branding and spruce up their on premise signage. I love tall vertical blade signs on movie theaters, especially when mounted above an attractive marquee. That approach doesn't work everywhere. Nevertheless, I think more has to be done than just mounting some lighted letters on one side of a big cube-looking building.

The Internet certainly did help kill big movie ads in newspapers. However, the newspapers themselves are a culprit too. What did they do when readership was declining? Logically one would think they would lower their ad prices to make them more attractive. But no. The fuckers raised their prices. Big time. All across the board, from big papers like the NY Times all the way to small town papers. That radically sped up the process for theaters to virtually abandon newspaper advertising.

The movie studios and their marketing departments weren't of much help either. It's one thing to run a huge full page movie ad in the NY Times when the poster is a great looking piece of illustrated art from someone like Drew Struzan. These days most movie posters are very unremarkable. They're mostly just Photoshopped images of actors' heads. That has been a problem for 20+ years now. Even if you have a movie poster image that is honestly creative in its concept, the image is "tuned" for display at small sizes. We're talking thumbnail images for everything from a movie chain's ticket ordering app to the rows of thumbnail images in streaming apps like Netflix. Nothing is being designed specifically for a 27" X 41" one sheet anymore. The shit is more for people's phones now.

quote: Marcel Birgelen
It's a bit frightening, because real journalism simply cost real money to do so. Real journalism also comes with some responsibility. The responsibility to mostly get it right and face potential consequences if you don't honor that responsibility.
No one wants to pay for real journalism anymore. "The Fourth Estate" is far less powerful than it used to be.

Many local newspapers (such as the one in my town) are mere shadows of their former selves. Many staffers have been let go. The pages of our local paper aren't even composed here in my town. Page layout workers in some other state do that work, along with the page layout duties for various other cities and towns. That's just the grunt-level work. Actual journalists are all but gone. There's no one doing any investigative work to uncover illegal abuse and maleficence happening locally. I don't even know how they manage to write the shit that goes into the paper as it is. Most of the pages are filled with wire stories from AP or UPI that I already knew about yester-fucking-day.

Newspapers used to be one of the watch dogs looking out for the little guy, ready to expose wrong doing from crooked politicians, mobsters, businesses doing sleazy things, rogue cops, etc. With local newspapers in serious decline there is nothing out there to replace that. Social media sure as hell can't do it. No hope at all there. There's zero credibility with any social media platform.

In the end I think we're just setting things up bit by bit to turn what was a free country into a banana-republic style police state.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2019 11:55 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has been going on for a lot longer than six months. There's still advertising from the art and revival houses, but almost none from the mainstream films/theaters.

But one has to evaluate at who is the audience for the big popcorn movies and whether they read printed newspapers anymore. I think it's pretty obvious that they don't. When I ride the NYC subways, it's quite rare to see anyone with a printed newspaper anymore.

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2019 12:24 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also miss the big full page (or even 2-page) spreads for major motion pictures in, in my case, the Los Angeles Times.

Side note - I read long ago that those ads never made sense in basic marketing terms - they didn't drive enough ticket sales to justify their costs. The real reason for their existence was talent expectations - Tom Cruise or Jerry Bruckheimer or whoever expected their distributor to be making an all-out effort to promote their films, and a visible part of that effort was the lavish spread in the two big papers, the NY Times and the LA Times. Publicists always checked to make sure their clients' films were being adequately promoted in those big weekend packages.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2019 01:37 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Foe decades I have purchased the Sunday edition of the SF Chronicle (but the early edition on Saturday). It contains the "pink section". This is the arts and entertainment book that ran roughly 60 pages. I too enjoyed looking at all the picture ads for what was currently playing. It also contained the "starts Friday" ads for the following week. The ads were spread over 6-10 pages. Now, there are only 1 or 2 movie ads on 1 page. The book has also shrunk to about 42 pages. IT is very disappointing.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: