Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » RIP DA Pennebaker

Author Topic: RIP DA Pennebaker
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-03-2019 06:27 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DA Pennebaker, dead at 94.
Variety Obit

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-03-2019 09:39 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad. That leaves Frederick Wiseman as the last major figure in the Direct Cinema crowd still alive (and at 89, still making documentaries), I'd guess.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-09-2019 04:51 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Donn was not only a great, ground-breaking filmmaker, but a gentleman as well. I was screening MONTEREY POP some years back and he took the time to come up to the booth after the screening, introduced himself, shook my hand, thanked me and said I did a great job. He said he thought of every projectionist as the last person in the long line of tech people who worked on his film to bring it to life for the audience.

I have had directors/filmmakers come to the booth BEFORE the show, never had anyone come up afterward to say thank you or offer such a thoughtful and interesting compliment. I was very impressed.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-09-2019 05:27 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had him at our theatre for The War Room, all those years ago. He was just an exceptionally nice person.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 08-10-2019 01:00 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a long phone call with him as to some technical issues in revising the soundtrack for Dolby Stereo. I found him to be incredibly gracious and humble. A lot of heart.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2019 02:36 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad but nice to see he lived to a ripe old age.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-20-2019 02:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always loved this short film he did... At least two versions of this exist. This one I think is the better version.

Daybreak Express

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: