Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Regal Launches Ticket Subscription Service

Author Topic: Regal Launches Ticket Subscription Service
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 07-30-2019 07:13 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hot on the heels of the massive success story that is MoviePass, Regal has launched "Regal Unlimited", a monthly subscription movie pass service.

There are three pricing tiers, all of which get you unlimited movies for any standard price seat with no blackout dates. The restriction between the prices are the properties you can use it at:

$18/month: Access to Regal's 200 shittiest theatres

$21/month: Access to Regal's 400 shittiest theatres

$23.50/month: Access to all Regal properties

Oh hey look...Surcharges! The fine print...

quote:
Availability of plans vary by theatre. A surcharge of $1.50-$3 per ticket applies at theatres not included in your plan. Surcharges apply for ScreenX, 4DX, IMAX, RPX, 3D & VIP as well as premium seating other than recliners. Some foreign language movies and special movie events may be excluded or subject to a surcharge
You also don't get out of convenience fees for purchasing tickets in the app, though that fee is $.50 with a plan. You get a 10% discount on snacks and a free large popcorn and soda on your birthday.

The subscription is annual...you're committed to a year initially. If you pay monthly, your subscription automatically renews on a monthly basis after that until you cancel. If you pay the annual fee up front, they cancel you automatically at the end of the year and you have to re-subscribe. And you can't change plans once you've chosen one during that first year. The whole thing seems pretty danged convoluted.

Wondering how shitty your local Regal is? Here's a key.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2019 07:36 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bwa ha ha ha ha!

They must think our local Santa Clarita theaters are pretty special!

[puke]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-30-2019 08:08 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal should have at the very least ditched basic things like convenience fees in its subscription plan. AMC's basic $15 per year Stub Premiere program allows subscribers to book tickets online for free, among a few other perks. Also, Regal should have sweetened the deal for watching movies on premium screens. The current offer kind of sucks.

AMC's Stubs A-List subscription plan has its own limitations. It's not an unlimited plan. Subscribers can see up to 3 movies per week. The monthly fee varies on location ($19.95 in 34 states; $21.95 in CO, DE, FL, GA, IL, MD, MN, OR, PA, VA, WA & DC; $23.95 in CA, CT, MA, NJ & NY). The upshot is there are no surcharges for ordering tickets online. And viewers can see movies on any regular or premium screen (IMAX, Dolby Cinema, etc). Considering what it costs to watch a movie on a IMAX or Dolby branded screen the cost of an A-List membership can be offset in just 1 or 2 trips to the theater.

The 3 movie per week limit doesn't seem all that bad to me. I would really have to go out of my way to try to see more movies than that in a commercial theater. Just picking 3 movies good enough to see in a theater on any given week is tough.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-30-2019 11:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a great subscription plan. You can see one movie per week for $7.75. We only charge you for the movies you actually watch.

Given the convoluted nonsense offered by the chains, our plan seems a lot more reasonable and easy to figure out, not to mention more economical in those months when there are no good movies.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 07-31-2019 07:55 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds more like a medical insurance policy than an enjoyable night at the movies?

And what's with the foreign film exemption? They figure they lose too much on foreign films already? Or is it so they can gouge the Bollywood audiences by showing the movie in three languages at different rates for different languages?

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2019 06:11 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked there I think the Bollywood movies were "four-walled". They were fun though.

These subscription things would be a good deal for a GOOD theater, but unfortunately we don't have any of those in my area which is why I never got Moviepass.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-03-2019 08:53 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moviepass! I almost forgot about that. I took a look at their website and found this:

quote:
Big Changes are coming.
For the past several months, MoviePass™ has been working hard to improve our groundbreaking subscription service to ensure it meets the vision that we have for it. We are temporarily not accepting new subscribers as we work on these improvements.

Please enter your email below and you will be notified when we are accepting new subscribers to our improved service.

Are they even doing the cards thing anymore? If you click on the link to see the schedule, you get the same message as above (but no movie schedule).

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2019 10:30 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Are they even doing the cards thing anymore? If you click on the link to see the schedule, you get the same message as above (but no movie schedule).
We've still had a few stragglers lately; some work, some dont.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-04-2019 09:51 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we have one person left still using the card. It adds a sense of adventure to the evening guessing if it will work.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-05-2019 01:53 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm willing to bet that Mike's plan comes with a quality presentation and good customer service, too.

Ronda Fitzsimmons
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2019 01:46 PM      Profile for Ronda Fitzsimmons   Author's Homepage   Email Ronda Fitzsimmons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have any idea of what arrangements they've made with the film companies for this? Would AMC and Regal really put themselves in such a risky situation?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: