Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Non Cinema Integrators

Author Topic: Non Cinema Integrators
Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2019 08:21 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sascha brought up an interesting topic in the thread about the sony projector
quote:
Though I am a bit fed up of giving my knowledge out for free and companies who clearly don't have a clue what they are doing get the money...
This made me curious how many of you have been in the position where an AV integrator is doing a large institutional install and either requests a box sale of a D Cinema machine or wants you to come in and do a very narrow scope of work (ie: just setup the projector our corporate AV guy will handle the sound)? How has this worked out for everyone? Have you ended up giving away tons of free help and advice or did the client end up hiring you to come in and fix the mess? Any horror stories or pleasant surprise stories?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2019 10:01 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not quite on the same level; in the days when we still had both our 35mm machines and no digital, we had a festival which was going to be using DVDs, so we hired in an AV company to provide a large "data' projector etc. A man came and looked around and took measurements and said we would be fine with data projector sat on a stand pointing through one of the observation portholes.
Came the day of the festival, and the installer/operator arrives and first of all said "you need to move that out of here," pointing at the Victoria 9. I eventually persuaded him to point it through the observation porthole. Then he didn't have anything to stand the projector on, so home I went for an old slide projector stand. Then his dvd player didn't work, so home I went for my dvd player, then he didn't know how to connect into our sound, so I also did that too.

The show started and the image spilt onto the ceiling and stage; they had the wrong lens. I ended up having to mask the porthole with cardboard to make it look a little less bad around the screen.
Needless to say, we didn't use them the following year and we hired our own kit and did the festival ourselves.

When we finally tired to go digital, we had people out from some UK large companies to give us quotes, but most of the companies never got back with prices. In the end we went out and bought an ex-multiplex machine and installed it and the sound upgrade ourselves.

You can't always trust the "experts"!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-20-2019 10:59 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're in this situation all the time, especially with Bel-Air installs.

The problem we face most often is if we have to replace a component of the installation (e.g. pull out a failed server and replace it with an IMS) some years down the line. These systems inevitably have either Crestron or AMX touch panel systems, so all the Hollywood millionaire has to do is to press one button and the movie starts. However, none of us are Crestron or AMX certified (in my case, the only integration system I am certified and truly comfortable designing and modifying is Q-Sys), and sometimes the original AV contractor won't even release the passwords, source code, and other information needed to make the necessary modifications to the third party contractors we work with.

For initial installs, as long as the scope of work is clear at the outset, they usually go without problems. Occasionally there are slight issues. For example, last fall I went to install a projector in a mixed use arts center theater in northern Michigan. Thanks to a miscommunication when the job was set up, they were under the impression that we were tuning the room, but I had been told that I wasn't. So we had to overnight a tuning kit.

The only other issue is timing. It's important to get in and do our part of the job after the other things are complete, if possible. For example, if we install a projector before the speaker wires have been pulled and the audio rack installed, we can do all the picture-related stuff, and leave the AV contractor with pinout info and say "there you go." But because they're not familiar with DCI equipment, the chances are high that they'll want us back again when they run into difficulties (which often means wondering why they can hear the HI and VI tracks coming out of the back surrounds), which runs the risk of cost disagreements.

But all in all, most of these jobs go smoothly without any serious problems. There are three or four AV contractors we work with quite a bit, and they now know enough about what we do at the digital cinema end of things to be able to work with us effectively.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-20-2019 11:37 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had this experience multiple times, none came out very well. I have have one where all the sound and media racks are facing way from the operator so no way to see the front of the equipment from the projection side of the room. I guess its like a flight simulator that's operated by Crestron. A couple others that are insanely complex for what they do.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: