Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Disney Plus is going to offer a ton of content for $7 a month

Author Topic: Disney Plus is going to offer a ton of content for $7 a month
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 04-12-2019 02:19 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if this pricing only lasts for a year, the launch of Disney Plus is likely to have a huge impact on other streaming services. Based on what I've read about what they are offering, I would pay as much as $15-$20 a month, so $7 is nothing. Plus, that price makes it affordable for most everyone.

CNET Article on Disney Plus

quote:
Disney Plus will launch Nov. 12 in the US for $7 a month, or $70 a year if you get an annual subscription. Disney revealed the launch date and price Thursday, while talking up the streaming service's exclusive shows, including new Marvel and Star Wars adventures -- and every episode of The Simpsons.

Its price undercuts Netflix's $13 monthly fee for its most popular plan in the US, which lets you stream to two different devices simultaneously in high definition. Disney Chief Financial Officer Christine M. McCarthy hinted that Disney Plus pricing may rise as the service advances, calling the $7 monthly fee an "initial" price. The company also said it's likely to bundle Disney Plus with Hulu and ESPN Plus, offering a discount if you subscribe to two or three of its streaming options.

"This is an exciting time; it's also a challenging time," Chief Executive Bob Iger said Thursday. But "deciding how to navigate this was not difficult for us," he said, explaining that Disney is focused on its ocean of premium content and distributing it in different ways.

The news came during the entertainment giant's two-hour-plus event to unveil Disney Plus and explain its wider streaming strategy. The presentation included a laundry list of new and original show announcements, early peeks at high-profile exclusives like Star Wars spinoff The Mandalorian -- and even offered glimpses at Disney's biggest movie releases to come this year, including a scene from Marvel's Avengers: Endgame.

After years of putting streaming in the back seat to protect its big-budget blockbusters and lucrative TV model, Disney has made streaming its top priority this year, even restructuring the company around it.

Disney-plus-simpsons-dumbo
All 30 seasons of The Simpsons will be available on Disney Plus.

Disney
Disney Plus is the highest-profile example of traditional Hollywood going to extreme lengths to fortify against competition from digital powerhouses like Netflix, Amazon and -- soon -- Apple, which is launching its own Apple TV Plus service. Those deep-pocketed companies have been pouring money into their own TV shows and movies. Digital upstarts have fueled TV cord-cutting and, in Netflix's case, tried to upend theatrical release norms for movies -- all threats to the survival of companies like Disney.

From Disney's projections, however, Netflix won't be under threat for years.

Disney predicted it would reach 60 million to 90 million subscribers by the end of its 2024 fiscal year -- Netflix already has swollen to nearly 140 million. And Disney predicted that its content spending would jump from $1 billion in its first year to $2 billion four years later. Netflix, by comparison, will spend an estimated $12 billion on content this year.

Content is king
But programming announcements were the star of the show on Thursday. Disney said it would release more than 25 original series and 10 new films, documentaries and specials in the first year of Disney Plus.

That includes some previously known titles, like its Star Wars spinoff The Mandalorian and a Rogue One prequel with Diego Luna reprising his role of Cassian Andor; the Marvel Studios series Loki, starring Tom Hiddleston; and a Pixar series Monsters at Work, returning to the world of Monsters Inc. after the events of the original film.

And Disney unleashed new information about rumored programs and unveiled previously unknown projects. It confirmed that its Loki series will be joined by other Marvel exclusives, like The Falcon and The Winter Soldier live-action series starring Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan in their roles known from the Avengers franchise. A live-action WandaVision sees the return of Elizabeth Olsen to the role of Scarlet Witch and Paul Bettany to The Vision character. And Marvel's What If… will be the studio's first animated series that will explore pivotal moments from the Marvel Cinematic Universe and flip its script.

frozen-2
Frozen 2 will debut for streaming on Disney Plus in the summer.

Disney
Also in animation, Disney will premiere a documentary series about the making of Frozen 2, called Into the Unknown. (And parents take note: The much-anticipated sequel to Frozen will be available to stream on Disney Plus by the summer.) And Pixar will contribute Toy Story-based projects Forky Asks a Question and short film Lamp Life, featuring Bo Peep.

The event also served as a chance for Disney to flex its new access to Fox content, after it closed its $71.3 billion takeover of 21st Century Fox earlier this year.

In an announcement that drew an audible reaction from the crowd gathered on Disney's studio lot, Disney Plus announced that all 30 seasons of The Simpsons would be available on the service on day one. In the first year, Fox titles like The Sound of Music, The Princess Bride, and Malcolm in the Middle will join it.

And Disney is also including libraries of already released franchise content. All the Star Wars movies will be there, as will all of Pixar's.

All told, Disney Plus will have more than 7,500 television episodes and 500 films.

A tech venture
Disney also gave a demo of the Disney Plus app and answered questions about some crucial tech features.

disney-plus-ui-all
The design of apps for Disney Plus sorts library by the company's big franchises: Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars and National Geographic.

Disney/Screenshot by CNET
In a godsend to parents whose childen cannot be placated on long-haul flights unless they're watching their favorite Pixar movie (a.k.a. almost all parents), Disney Plus will allow unlimited downloads for offline viewing so long as you're actively subscribed.

All of Disney's theatrical releases will come to Disney Plus for streaming, but Disney said that this will be after their run in theaters -- and after they've been sold for home viewing. Even though Disney's windowing will protect the home viewing business selling DVDs, Blu-rays and iTunes-like downloads, the ability to download from Disney Plus will put some pressure on it. People will be weighing whether they should buy a copy of Frozen 2, Toy Story 4 or Captain Marvel, or just wait a little longer to watch through Disney Plus instead -- and get everything else.

Disney Plus is also built with profiles, so your recommendations don't get mixed up with those of other family members, and parental gating features, so young kids can be kept away from Marvel or Star Wars programming that's still too mature for them to see.

Disney said that it's pursuing wide device support, noting that the service will be streamable on phones, smart TVs, streaming boxes and game consoles. It confirmed Roku and Playstation 4 support.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-12-2019 06:50 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Err...

'Frozen 2 will debut for streaming on Disney Plus in the summer.'

Is that summer 2019???!!!

- Carsten

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 04-12-2019 08:30 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the platform doesn't launch until November, the question kind of answers itself.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2019 11:02 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im not a betting man but if I was id wager it will be in theaters too. Frozen 1 was also released in November.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-13-2019 04:14 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
Since the platform doesn't launch until November, the question kind of answers itself
Alright, missed that, was wondering how exciting it could be to announce something now for summer 2020. Frozen-2 seems to be released in cinemas in late november 2019. So Disney is keeping a 6 months theatrical release window even wihen they boot their own streaming service.

- Carsten

Michael Cornish
Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2019 09:05 PM      Profile for Michael Cornish   Email Michael Cornish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is going to stop people from downloading titles then burning then to either a dvd or blueray?

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 04-13-2019 11:41 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If all the content is available for $7 a month, I don't see a lot of value in downloading the content. I don't know what happens with the content you can download and play later, but I assume there is some encryption which makes it so the content is not playable.

I can see people continuing to use pirated download services like Kodi, but this seems like far less hassle for the average person.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-14-2019 09:31 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was very surprised to hear the announcement of a $7 per month/$70 per year price. I was totally expecting Disney+ to launch with something closer to a $20 (or more) per month fee. They would have had huge numbers of people in line willing to pay it.

Obviously this low price is meant as something of a brutal gut punch to Netflix. And the blow is compounded by the process now in progress of Disney slowly pulling its content off Netflix. It'll all be gone by year's end. How many people will cancel their Netflix subscriptions when signing up to Disney+? The same question may go for Amazon Prime and Hulu as well. The Hulu situation is a little tricky in regards to Disney+ since (after the Fox buyout) Disney is now the majority owner of Hulu, if I recall correctly.

I'm still wondering what will happen with AT&T/Warner and the streaming service they intend to launch. The price of Disney+ may set a pretty competitive price for rivals to match.

The cynic in me still wonders about that $7/$70 price. Is that going to be the actual stable price for the service, or is it just for a low cost introductory period?

A bunch of these other music, movie and TV streaming services may offer low introductory prices, but then it shoots up from there. I got a 6 month subscription to Sirius|XM in my new truck for $35 or so bucks. 6 months later they want nearly $120 for a 6 month renewal, and that's just for the basic in-vehicle service. I'm going to shut off that service as well as OnStar and MyChevy. It's like having another cable bill. I'm not on the road enough for that crap.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 04-14-2019 10:07 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
The same question may go for Amazon Prime
The reason I have Amazon Prime is for the discounted shipping. I purchased enough items from Amazon that it saves me money. The steaming service is almost a bonus. Plus, I have HBO and Showtime added to Amazon. I will definitely subscribe to Disney+, but I will also keep Amazon. Netflix is another question because I don't know i their original content is worth the price.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-15-2019 10:43 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't buy too much stuff from Amazon. It's mainly disc-based entertainment (music CDs and the occasional Blu-ray movie) and some computer-related stuff. Prime Video has a decent selection of TV shows and movies. But the main thing I use is the Prime Music service. I listen to various artist channels through the day on my headphones to block out some extraneous workplace racket. We have the most excruciatingly annoying door bell known to man. One of those beeping noise makers is about 10 feet from my desk. To me it's worse than fingernails on a chalkboard. If I don't have my music to drown out that noise I'm liable to pick up a scrap piece of steel square tubing and smash the hell out of that door sensor.

Earlier today I saw a news blurb that Spotify stock is taking a hit on word that Amazon may launch an ad-based music streaming service to compete directly with Spotify.

I haven't had access to HBO in months due to the ongoing dispute between them and Dish Network. I'm on the verge of cancelling Dish anyway, since outside of live sports there's really very little on there I watch. Hulu Live may be a good, much lower cost alternative. I'm tempted to get a HBO Now subscription. IIRC Amazon doesn't offer any discounts to add HBO through their Prime Video service. You're going to pay $14.99 per month either way. Maybe the difference might be streaming quality. I assume HBO via Amazon Prime would be streaming from Amazon's servers. HBO GO streaming quality was a little spotty in the past. Amazon is generally a bit better. Netflix (at least for me) easily streams the best. The difference between Netflix and Amazon is still noticeable even with my cable Internet connection recently bumped from 25 to 50 megabits per second.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 04-15-2019 02:22 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ditched Dish about a year a go and went with YouTube TV. I have not wanted for content since. Super Bowl, Oscars, baseball games. All of them stream over YouTube TV. Plus it gives me unlimited cloud based DVR.

The main reason I added HBO and Showtime to Amazon Prime is to minimize the number of apps I have to navigate to find what I want. Plus Prime integrates the HBO and Showtime movie listings so I don't have to search each platform when I want to watch something - although that option still exists.

I haven't noticed any significant quality issue between Netflix and Prime. Both typically have degraded quality for the first few seconds, but is fine once it buffers. I do have a fast enough connection to stream 4k content. The only thing I've noticed is the halo effect on dark screens, which could also be my TV. And the noise when there is something like confetti falling.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2019 09:22 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Knowing Disney it’ll double in price in a year or two’s time. I just got notification that my Netflix is rising to $12.99 a month and if I did not split the account with my folks, I would have ditched it last year. The back catalog is god awful and new stuff is “meh”. I have amazon and split that with my brother; the streaming is just a bonus and they have a decent back catalog. I see this as a good thing as Netflix will be forced to improve their service (Free 4K?) or lower their pricing.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: