Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What platter is this?

Author Topic: What platter is this?
John H. Crawford
Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2019 05:50 PM      Profile for John H. Crawford   Email John H. Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A old movie theater in the area had an "open house" today. And they had some old pictures of the projection booth. One was of the platter. What's that look like, a Potts?

Please excuse the flash...I wanted to take them home and scan them properly... [Wink]

-

The same platter, later on. Looks like its rollers were changed out. Notice the second projector has snce been removed and the platter was moved to in its place.

-

-

Finally, a wide shot of the lamphouse and projector. Simplex XL projector, with an IPC soundhead.

-

A shot with the projector's doors closed. Fairly simple automation and sound system..
 -

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-30-2019 06:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The first image is of a "Super" / "ORC orange" / "CFS" platter (although the one in the photo isn't branded.

The rest of the photos are of a basic Strong platter or carbon-copy knockoff (no branding).

It is absolutely not the same platter. Look at the ridiculous upside-down dished deck on the first unit.
 -

John H. Crawford
Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2019 06:42 PM      Profile for John H. Crawford   Email John H. Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So it appears the platter was swapped out for the Strong one later on.

The way I see the ORC/Super Platters are "loved" here, that may have been a good decision by Kerasotes (who previously operated this theatre)... [Wink]

BTW, back in the day what did Kerasotes pretty much favor, equipment wise? I know in their later days, before selling to AMC they seemed to fave Christie equipment, especially lamps.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2019 06:51 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kerasotes has come back from its sale with the Showcase Icon cinemas.

John H. Crawford
Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2019 07:08 PM      Profile for John H. Crawford   Email John H. Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another picture of platter #1. Would that Christie lamp be a 1KW or 2KW?

-

Also is that an ORC MUT I spy?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-01-2019 09:59 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the first generation of the Potts platter which ORC and CFS copied

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2019 06:26 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of Christie lamphouse is in the last picture? Is that the older ones where the lamp is housed vertically? I like the splicer in the first picture. This was the type I used.

Mike

John H. Crawford
Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2019 06:31 PM      Profile for John H. Crawford   Email John H. Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe a mid-70's era H-10 or 20, with the older style red knob dowser handles.

The screen in question it shot at. 300 seat auditorium, with at least a 120 foot throw.

-

John H. Crawford
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2019 06:47 PM      Profile for John H. Crawford   Email John H. Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After doing some poking around, here and elsewhere on the internet, it appears the platter in photo #1 is none other than a early model Potts. Potts also manufactured the orange ORC platters for a time, and also the Christie AW1 and AW2 platters. Hence the "tree" resembling an ORC. And I took even closer looks at the decks in the picture, and they appear to be flat as opposed to the "dished" ORC ones...

As for the platter in the other pictures, none other than a Potts Alpha, that Kerasotes favored in their older cinemas.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2019 11:11 AM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the pic of the aud, I'll never understand why they put the gold drapery so close to the edge of the picture leaving only like 2 inches of black masking. Then the janitor or usher disturbs the drapery and it starts dipping into the picture.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-15-2019 12:38 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So... how many theatres are we looking at here?

I see one booth with a pair of those awful, underlit Christie lamphouses, a radio and a CD player for non-synch and a Bogen PA amplifier for sound. Bet doing the X-curve was fun! :-)

Two different platters?

... and in the final picture, that doesn't look like the Christies in the OP's first post, but an old X-60.

Me confused.... [Confused]

John H. Crawford
Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2019 05:05 PM      Profile for John H. Crawford   Email John H. Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack, it's the same projection booth/theatre, 18 years apart. This was at the Liberty Theater in Murphysboro, IL. Picture #1, the one in post #5, and the one of the screen were taken circa 1980. The rest were taken circa 1998, the year Kerasotes closed it down. So sometime in between, the older model Potts was replaced with a later model Alpha, in addition to the second projector/lamp being removed.

Yeah, in that backside pic of the Christie lamp I thought it was an X-60 at first glance too.

Worth noting the Xetron/Kelmar automation box on the wall.

Also somewhere along the line the pedestal for the projector was changed out too, with a Ballantyne Royal SoundMaster.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-06-2019 01:11 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI: That theatre circuit put up the money to get Bob Potts to make his first platter. DITMCO/Speco, ORC, AW1 and 2 and almost all the others including the the air-matic were also Potts.

John H. Crawford
Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2019 09:36 AM      Profile for John H. Crawford   Email John H. Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting. In my visits I noticed all the older Kerasotes outfits had Alphas, with older style Christie consoles/lamps and the much newer theaters around here(that they built) were equipped with the full Christie package. (SLCs, P35GPSs, AW3s).

Worth noting, one theater they acquired from AMC was equipped with ORC Optimax consoles, Alpha platters and P35GPS projectors. Wonder if the platters originally installed by AMC would have been the brown ORC "fat tree" platters?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: