Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Pulp Fiction 25th anniversary

Author Topic: Pulp Fiction 25th anniversary
Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2019 08:50 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was doing the oscar comparison with the 90s, and recently I got a glimpse of Pulp Fiction again on TV, I realized how much fun we had going to the theater in that era.

What struck me was how good the cinematography is for this movie. I was looking at the credits of the guy Andrzej sekula and surprised he wasn't used for any of Tarantino;s other movies. Though the guy who did Jackie Brown is no slouch(Gullermo Navarro) and whatever he chose Robert Richardson(a proven veteran at that point) for Kill Bill, he stuck with him after that. I just find it interesting that he never worked with Tarantino again after Pulp Fiction.

Not only are the colors rich befitting the genre of the movie, the sharpness stands out compared movies like Desperado , or even Scorseses movies from that era such as Goodfellas. And some credit goes to Tarantino since he collaborates so well with his cinematographers.

The movie still holds up pretty good. I have seen it many times. I know there was some fatigue of these kind of movies by the late 90s as there were many poor knockoffs, but it was fun to watch it again after all these years.

What I really love about this movie (and other QT movies) is they remind you of the period in time they were made, but there are a lot of referential cues via music and style to a much older era. Yet we think of these movies as quintessential 90s movies.

And lastly, 25 YEARS ALREADY?????? TIME FLIES!!!

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-06-2019 11:06 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little freaked out about The Abyss turning 30 years old this summer.

Apparently a proper Blu-ray and DVD of The Abyss might be finally getting prepped (just as those physical media formats are being undermined in every direction). True Lies is still up in the air. Oh, that movie turns 25 this year.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-06-2019 02:54 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Besides the strong cinematography, the epic dialogue in this movie and the performances of the cast, what makes this movie stand out from the crowd is that it wasn't written on a standard Hollywood template. The thing that later has been come to be known as the "Save the Cat" template.

The in-your-face style of Tarantino might be another factor. Not many directors really dared to go that route, without turning their movie into a bad comedy.

In the end it might be a little bit ironic that we had the likes of Harvey Weinstein to thank that it ever got funded...

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2019 11:11 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
True Lies is still up in the air. Oh, that movie turns 25 this year.
Assuming James Cameron has final say, I wouldn't get my hopes up since he said he wouldn't do a sequel because terrorism isn't funny anymore. Well, it wasn't funny back then either but that doesn't mean you can't treat it comedically. Humans are allowed to laugh and should do so more often!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-07-2019 12:53 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not even talking about a True Lies sequel (something which does not need to happen). I just want the movie properly released onto DVD, Blu-ray and maybe UHD Blu-ray.

The old non-anamorphic DVD version of True Lies was okay to watch on an old CRT TV set. It's flat out AWFUL to watch on a modern, big HDTV screen. You basically get two choices, watch it as is, letter-boxed and pillar-boxed into a tiny window OR you can try zooming it and observe a really blurry mess. 16x9 enhanced DVDs are at least tolerable to watch on a big HDTV set. The non-anamorphic stuff is crap. The True Lies DVD is little more than a port of the ancient Laserdisc master.

Cameron needs to put down his fucking scuba gear and get an updated home version of True Lies finished already. Home theater fans have been waiting over a decade for a Blu-ray version and more than 20 years for a proper DVD. If he can't spare the time to do that then he needs to entrust someone else to get the job done.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-07-2019 01:51 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Pravin Ratnam
When I was doing the oscar comparison with the 90s, and recently I got a glimpse of Pulp Fiction again on TV, I realized how much fun we had going to the theater in that era.
Yup ... once one is able to refer to a period in one's adult life as "that era," and realize that someone not even born during the year in question could now be an adult, you know that middle age has arrived with a vengeance.

The cellar scene is still, IMHO, one of the funniest things ever filmed, specifically the idea that the two psychopaths have no problem kidnapping some guy, forcing him to wear that costume and incarcerating him in a wooden box, but are also such kind people that they are reluctant to wake him up from his nap ("But The Gimp's asleep!"). And, given how just plain nasty the Ving Rhames character is, the scene that Bruce Willis is confronted with when he pushes open the door is the perfect vision of karma in action.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-08-2019 05:34 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Assuming James Cameron has final say, I wouldn't get my hopes up since he said he wouldn't do a sequel because terrorism isn't funny anymore. Well, it wasn't funny back then either but that doesn't mean you can't treat it comedically. Humans are allowed to laugh and should do so more often!
I guess James Cameron has made abundantly clear the rest of his career is devoted to Giant Blue Kitties. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: