Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » They Shall Not Be Forgotten

Author Topic: They Shall Not Be Forgotten
Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2018 11:06 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone seen any advanced materials or screening for this Fathom event on 12/17 and 12/27?

Makes sense that digital effects maestro Peter Jackson would redefine how to present archival footage into something more technologically modern than was possible when it was shot. So here is hundred-year-old WWI film footage with enhanced resolution, a wider aspect ratio, increased frame rate, color, added synchronized sound, and even pulled it into 3D. I'm not sure what to think of this "inauthentic authenticity." And the timing is awful for me, so I hope some of you catch this and tell us about it. And due to the meritorious nature of it, I hope it's really good.

Trailer for "They Shall Not Be Forgotten"

|  IP: Logged

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2018 07:00 AM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"They Shall Not Grow Old" is not 3D or high frame rate at all.
It is silent black and white footage retimed to the correct motion rates, colorised and dubbed using lipreaders to determine what was being said.
The result is extraordinary. Currently showing in Australia, even on a daily basis in a local cinema.

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2018 08:28 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Extraordinary" is good to hear. So is a full theatrical release there.

I didn't mean to imply HFR, only alteration to work at 24fps.

This trailer promises 3D, but I haven't checked local listings yet, or the projectionists' bulletin, to see what's offered domestically. And why this is a Fathom single-screening event and not a full release is both curious and exasperating.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2018 10:26 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was notified late last night that I would be doing a special 'invitation only'
screening of this for some press & media people on Monday, and that I will
be receiving two packages by via a special courier today, one containing the
DCP, & the other package will contain a 4min40sec intro by director Peter
Jackson they want me to show before the feature at this event.

I've been given a running time of 1hr 40min, not including the appx 5min
PJ intro clip. (And I also show the title as "They Shall Not Grow Old")

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-13-2018 02:22 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The Fathom event for "They Shall Not Grow Old" is in 2D and 3D as well as 5.1 and 7.1. It has about 30 minutes of "bonus material" after the ending credits.

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2018 07:31 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My bad about mixing up the title. Thanks for the good info, gents.

Allan Young
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2018 09:29 AM      Profile for Allan Young   Email Allan Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't realise this was getting a cinema release - it was screened here by the BBC over a month ago. There was a "behind the scenes" episode of the BBC4 series What Do Artists Do All Day? to accompany it - I'm guessing this could be the 30 minutes of bonus material at the cinema screenings.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: