Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » New Favorite Yellow Pages Listing

Author Topic: New Favorite Yellow Pages Listing
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-01-2018 06:49 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know, no one uses them any more, but the new one just came in and...
this is the listing for our local AMC Theatre

A McTheater.

Couldn't describe it better myself

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-04-2018 03:55 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..is where you definitely find the McJob!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-04-2018 04:46 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's amazingly perfect. Nice job, phone company.

This has nothing to do with movie theatres, but I still think it's funny. It has been this way in the Boston yellow pages for years and probably still is:

-

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-04-2018 07:32 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised the environmentalists haven't gotten after the Yellow Pages...probably the most thrown-out publication in the country.

Every year we get 2 different phone books. When they're mailed out, the post office wastebaskets are overflowing with them.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 09-04-2018 07:54 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Believe it or not, the post office here took the garbage cans away a couple of years ago. They said that they were encouraging people to take all of their mail home with them instead of throwing it out at the post office; what they were actually doing was creating a huge pile of paper in the corner of the post office box lobby where everyone was dumping their unwanted flyers on the floor.

A couple of times I've seen a little note someone posts on the wall there saying "Bring Back the Can!". But it never happens. There's still no garbage can at the post office and it still gets into a terrible mess sometimes because of it.

Among dumb ideas, that's certainly a prize winner.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2018 06:42 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I'm surprised the environmentalists haven't gotten after the Yellow Pages...probably the most thrown-out publication in the country.

Every year we get 2 different phone books. When they're mailed out, the post office wastebaskets are overflowing with them.

I was going to say that we don't get phone books anymore, but then I realized that I don't have a land line anymore so I wouldn't be receiving them. But even so, living in an apartment building, I would see when phone books got delivered (they were never mailed here) and I haven't seen them in many years, so in NYC, I really don't think we have phone books anymore. I do remember getting a much smaller phone book of just businesses in my neighborhood, but I haven't seen one of those in years either.

Since cell phone numbers are unlisted, a White Pages would be completely useless. And I doubt very many people use a paper Yellow Pages today. I'm amazed any still exist. Used to be a very profitable business.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 09-14-2018 08:50 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We get the Yellow Pages by default here (it gets thinner every year, though). Verizon stopped sending the white pages to all subscribers a few years ago. I have to manually order it now. I do this mostly out of principle, since it used to be a standard service which was discontinued without a reduction in the price of telephone service. I have occasionally found it to be useful to, for example, call the electric company to tell them that my power is out of service. I have rarely found the residental aspect of the white pages to be useful, though.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2018 03:02 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The local camera store operator used to dislike the Yellow Pages. His reason was, "Why should I pay to be listed alphabetically with my competitors?"

And the people that realize this is the case and name their businesses like "AA Exterminating". "AAA Builders" Etc.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 09-15-2018 03:37 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I first set up my theatre the phone directory company (which is different from the actual phone company) automatically put me into their yellow pages and started billing me for it.

I complained very loudly, particularly because they had done it without even asking me. "But every business needs a yellow pages listing!"

Why? I have the only theatre in town and if someone wants to find me he will manage to do so.

I eventually got the billing cancelled immediately and the listing cancelled for the next year.

What an arrogant outfit.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 10-20-2018 07:06 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank--that's irritating. I wouldn't have paid the bill if I didn't order the service.

For the camera store mentioned above, I can actually see the value in a Yellow Pages listing. If someone needs a camera, film, or other photo supplies, the Yellow Pages is probably the fastest and easiest way to find the local purveyors of such goods. Google (etc.) is great, but not so good with location-based searches (though this is improving).

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 10-20-2018 11:48 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The option of just not paying their bill wasn't as easy as you would think it would be. Had they just been sending me their own bill I could have just ignored it and when they tried to collect then say tough luck boys, I didn't order your service.

However, even though the phone company (Sask Tel) and the phone directory company (Direct West) are different, Direct West puts their charges onto the Sask Tel bill. So there's no way that I know of to not pay Direct West without putting my phone bill into arrears.

Which meant that I had to phone Direct West and jump up and down to get them to stop billing me instead.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-20-2018 03:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New name for this site! Phone-Book Tech.com.... [Eek!]

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2018 08:08 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin Brooks
I was going to say that we don't get phone books anymore, but then I realized that I don't have a land line anymore so I wouldn't be receiving them.
Not only do I not have a land-line, I don't even have a cell phone listed at my home address. Yet, in the last two weeks, I've received one phone book in the mail, and one in my driveway. Crazy how small they've gotten. White pages is now 5 pages, in a book half the width/height of what it used to be, and with bigger typeface. Times, they continue to change.....

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2018 05:25 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once had a roommate named "Charles Thorpe IV"
(As in "Charles Thorp The 4th" )

- - the phone book kept listing him as "Charles Thorpiv"
[Roll Eyes]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: