Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Outdoor Movies

Author Topic: Outdoor Movies
Sheniqua Outten Cox
Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2018 12:29 PM      Profile for Sheniqua Outten Cox   Email Sheniqua Outten Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im starting an Outdoor Movie business in the Caribbean. How would I get first run movies?

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-06-2018 03:59 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need a contract with the studios for that, although if you're on your own it's pretty hard work to get them even to respond to you.

So, that's why you should get in touch with a so called booker. A booker will aggregate multiple small and medium sized cinemas. He/she will essentially deal with the studios and you book your movies via him/her.

Also, you should check the NATO page regarding starting a cinema for some more or less useful hints on getting your own business up-and-running.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-06-2018 05:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
get in touch with a so called booker
A booker is a valuable tool in a theater business ESPECIALLY if you're an inexperienced startup.

The second most important thing, besides having a booker, is to listen to the booker because 99% of the time he'll make the right call (providing he's a good booker, that is).

Sheniqua Outten Cox
Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2018 06:17 PM      Profile for Sheniqua Outten Cox   Email Sheniqua Outten Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the useful information.

Can you give recommendations and contacts for Film Booker please?

Thanks.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-06-2018 11:42 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well you would need to find one that represents theaters in your region. I would just google "film bookers" and start looking at maps and making phone calls.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-07-2018 04:05 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think since you're technically under the jurisdiction of the U.K., so most likely the U.K. branches of the film distributors will handle your territory.

What you could do is contact some of the film distributors back in the U.K. and try if they could refer you to some bookers that operate in your region. I think you should call them, not mail them, as e-mail inquiries frequently end-up unanswered.

If you've some contact at some other local cinemas, you might ask them kindly what booker they're using.

If possible, try to get in touch with multiple bookers and choose the one that fits your requirements best.

Since you're in a somewhat isolated region, make sure he can actually represent your interests in that region.

Besides just getting the license to run first-run movies, I hope you know about the technical requirements of playing first-run movies? Like the fact that you need proper DCI certified gear to be able to play back encrypted DCPs from major studios?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-07-2018 07:47 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - reported average of 350 sunny days per year. Now that's an outdoor cinema location for sure...

Are there any cinemas in that area you know about?

- Carsten

Sheniqua Outten Cox
Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2018 07:11 AM      Profile for Sheniqua Outten Cox   Email Sheniqua Outten Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the information.

I am now learning that we wont be able to show first run movies at all due to the type of projector we currently have.

In the meantime we can still show movies.

We have an application in with FilmBank Media in the UK, waiting to hear from them on the licensing.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-08-2018 07:15 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Filmbank is a non-theatrical distributor, similar to Swank in the US; meaning that they can only license screenings that are for a closed audience (e.g. in a bar, hotel lounge, a school, or on board an airliner during a scheduled passenger flight), not screenings in a regular movie theater, for which people show up and buy individual tickets. There are also significant restrictions on how non-theatrical screenings can be promoted and advertised.

But if non-theatrical is what you have in mind, I'm sure that Filmbank can help you. I know of one venue in the Falkland Islands that screens movies licensed through them (or at least did, the last time I had contact with them, several years ago), so they do work with British overseas territories.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-09-2018 10:12 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sheniqua Outten Cox
I am now learning that we wont be able to show first run movies at all due to the type of projector we currently have.
You need a proper DCI compliant projector and the accompanying server, although both are nowadays available as an integrated bundle (where the server is essentially inside the projector).

You haven't indicated what kind of budget you have, but DCI compliant setups can nowadays be done on a budget, especially if you don't need to fill a monstrosity of a screen and you can live without 3D and "immersive sound" like Dolby Atmos.

Even if you play movies from media like BluRays you still need to properly license them, if you fail to do so, things might eventually turn against you. So it might not be a bad idea to get in touch with a film booker/buyer. Also, it will speed up stuff considerably, if you decide to go "first run" in a later stadium.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-09-2018 04:20 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you say Outdoor movies...do you mean a Drive-in movie theatre with cars or a screen set up in an outdoor space where people can sit on chairs or on blankets on the lawn? Many places like this operate quite successfully, even showing other than first-run, but again you do need the right equipment. Usually an outdoor operation, especially a Drive-in venue requires a very large screen. Even an outdoor lawn-type of venue, because people typically are sitting farther apart and farther from the screen, it needs to be larger than the typical multiplex; either way it will require a projector powerful enough to adequately fill the screen and a decent sound system to fill the space. This will apply no matter if you are showing first-run or not.

Will this be a year-round operation or seasonal? If it is a temporary operation, say only during the summer or the heavy tourist season, you might want to consider companies who bring in a whole package -- a blow-up screen, a projector sized for the screen and a sound system and just renting the package. It would be a lot less work and the result will usually be very professional.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: