Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » movie theatre snacks delivered to your home (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: movie theatre snacks delivered to your home
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 06-28-2018 12:30 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cineplex's latest idea: movie theatre snacks delivered to your home

quote:
Some Canadians with a hankering for movie theatre popcorn without the trek to a cinema are in luck.

Cineplex Inc. has started to offer delivery of concession stand snacks — popcorn, hot dogs, candy, nachos and soft drinks — to customers in 60 communities throughout Ontario, Alberta, B.C. and Quebec this week.

One offering under the plan, which the company dubs its 'Cineplex Movie Night In Combo' would see anyone who signs up get a HD movie rental, two medium popcorns, two medium candies and two medium drinks for $28.99. All of which they would consume without ever leaving their home.

The offering, a partnership with Uber Eats, comes months after Cineplex tested delivery in university towns in southern Ontario and as the entertainment giant ramped up its efforts to diversify its revenue beyond movie screenings, whose profits can be unpredictable because they are dependent on the strength of the films studios roll out.

To combat that unpredictability and the popularity of on-demand streaming services that are increasingly convincing film lovers to stay home to watch movies, Cineplex has expanded concession stand products, offered VIP seating and opened Rec Room gaming bars and a Playdium arcade centre in Ontario.

Those ventures have drawn in a young demographic that is also likely be a fan of the delivery service, Cineplex chief executive Ellis Jacob said.

"I know when I was studying for exams, I didn't want to leave (the house), but I still wanted a treat," he said. "This allows you to do that or if you've got little kids and you want to watch something at home, you can do that and have the goodies at the same time."

The service is available in cities including Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa and Montreal, but parts of downtown Toronto will be left out of the offering because some theatre concession stands aren't easily accessible for Uber Eats drivers.

If there is demand for an expansion to unserviced areas, Jacob said Cineplex will look at using its Rec Room gaming bars and head office as hubs for delivery or consider opening a distribution centre.

For now, he said the company will focus on Ontario, Alberta, B.C. and Quebec because of their high populations and the company's large network of theatres there.

The foods Cineplex will deliver from theatres in those provinces will be packaged for deliveries. Popcorn will be double-bagged and sealed at the top, so kernels don't spill out in transit and hot dogs will be wrapped in foil and dropped off alongside condiments in small packages.

On top of concession stand treats, customers will also be able to order combos that include movie rentals from the Cineplex Store.

If the service takes off, Jacob said delivery customers might see new treats crop up for delivery.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-28-2018 07:48 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow $28.99 for $3-5 worth of food. Sign me up! I wonder if that includes the delivery fee.

I suppose that this isn't quite as bad as it looks, since I assume that the prices listed are in Canadian dollars. But, still....

And, since I think that this is a dumb idea, it will probably turn out to be a huge hit.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-01-2018 10:54 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want popcorn as good as you get at the movies, just go out and get a "Whirly Pop" popcorn popper.

http://whirleypopshop.com/stovetop-poppers.html

You'll never eat microwave popcorn again.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 07-01-2018 12:57 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that like a Stir Crazy, which is a small electric popper with a stirring rod? I thought maybe that's the missing element. I was wrong and gave it away after a couple of tries. I then bought a small version of a pro machine. Many years ago, we rented one where I worked and it really made popcorn as good as a large machine so I had high hopes for the one I bought off CL. But while the one I bought made decent popcorn it still wasn't quite there and not worth keeping it around so put it back on CL and sold it.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 07-01-2018 01:04 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was always under the impression/assumption that the advantage was the high heat in the kettle compared to what you can get in a home-type popper.

Now that I think about it, I really have no facts to back that up though.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-01-2018 02:03 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whirly Pop is a thin, metal pot with a stirrer inside. You heat it on your stove. I use a gas stove. It good and hot so the popcorn is properly popped. Almost all of the Corn Pops. There are hardly any duds.

You can buy the company’s pre-packed popcorn which is really good or you can use whatever popcorn, oil and flavor/salt you like.

I, once, ran a race between Whirly Pop and a pack of microwave popcorn. Whirly Pop won by 30 seconds and it tasted WAY better.

Alexandre Pereira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2018 04:35 PM      Profile for Alexandre Pereira   Author's Homepage   Email Alexandre Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the best example of the complete contempt that the monopoly in Canada that is cineplex has for the movie going experience.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-01-2018 05:02 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The difference between theater popcorn and home popcorn are:

The oil. Most people use something other than coconut oil (such as "air") at home, hence the taste difference.

The post-pop: In the theater, popcorn sits in a cabinet with hot air being pumped through it, so it stays crisp. At home, it sits in a bowl getting cold.

Then there's the topping. Melted grocery store butter doesn't taste the same as the stuff you get at a theater, whether it's "real butter" or not.

And finally there's the atmosphere. It's kind of like the hamburgers served by the 4-H at our county fair...there's nothing special about the burgers, but they're at the fair, so they're awesome. In a restaurant they'd be just a below-average burger.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-01-2018 06:15 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What surprises me about this thread so far is that no one brought up the most disturbing fact:

Why would a major chain of cinemas offer up an easy (and cheaper, no parking, driving or ticket expenses) way of keeping people parked in front of their TV's?

Way to go, Cinepuke.

It's bad enough the studios do all they can to kill off the whole idea of movie-going being an experience, something other than sitting your fat ass in front of the boob tube.

When exhibitors resort to this, it's time to hang the whole idea up.

So glad I don't own a cinema in this era.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-01-2018 07:07 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whirly Pop is made with coconut oil. The flavoring is butter salt, similar to Gold Medal Flavacol.

It's like Mike says, more than half of what makes it good is the atmosphere but I'd be willing to bet if you did a blind taste test inside an actual theater, Whirly Pop would easily compete if not win. (Depending on how well that particular theater makes its own brand of popcorn.)

Yes, you can use store bought butter provided that you melt it, separate out the curd and simmer down the rest. Frankly, I don't think Whirly Pop needs butter.

Further, once you make popcorn, whether at the theater or at home, popcorn will get cold once you dish it out. If it gets dished out directly from the popper (the way I like it best) it shouldn't last long enough to get cold.

I agree with Manny. Why would Cineplex cut themselves off at the knees?

Honestly, I bet it's just a publicity stunt. :

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2018 07:53 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh have you all not seen Regal's microwave popcorn they're selling at the concession stand? They're going over like a lead balloon. We've had them for months and months, price is down to $2, and it has a $1 off coupon in it so really it's just a dollar.

-

Alexandre Pereira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2018 11:06 PM      Profile for Alexandre Pereira   Author's Homepage   Email Alexandre Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Tony - look at my previous post.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 07-02-2018 04:53 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Buck Wilson
Oh have you all not seen Regal's microwave popcorn they're selling at the concession stand? They're going over like a lead balloon. We've had them for months and months, price is down to $2, and it has a $1 off coupon in it so really it's just a dollar.
Wow. According to Regal's website, it's also sold at Dollar General.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2018 05:29 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you bring in a bag of Regal microwave popcorn, does that count as outside food?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-03-2018 10:56 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of retard would think that people would buy the same popcorn at the movie theater that they can buy for less money at the dollar store?

People associate things at the dollar store with lower quality junk. Why would anybody buy junk just because it's available in a theater?

That's just dain bramaged!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: