Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What is the worst movie you've ever seen? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What is the worst movie you've ever seen?
Cobi Fox
Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2018 05:28 PM      Profile for Cobi Fox   Email Cobi Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've all seen bad movies, whether we saw them in the theater or at home. Post the name of the worst one you've ever seen, and why it was awful.

One of the worst I've ever seen was The Master of Disguise. It was just pure and utter [bs] . It was about this Italian spy and his apparently retarded son, whose name is (get this) Pistachio Disguisey. And Pistachio has to become a spy to save his father. The whole premise was bad, but the execution was horrendous. There was too much emphasis on awful fake Italian accents and fart jokes, and not enough on good acting and quality writing. This "film" shows Dana Carvey at his worst.

|  IP: Logged

Matthew Ortado
Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2018 09:37 PM      Profile for Matthew Ortado   Email Matthew Ortado   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The worst for me was Pumpkin (2002) starring Christina Ricci. I went with my girlfriend, now wife. Total [thumbsdown] .

Cobi Fox
Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2018 10:10 PM      Profile for Cobi Fox   Email Cobi Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That one must be bad, because nobody I know has ever heard of it, even though it's a (relatively) recent release. Seriously though, who tf would call a movie Pumpkin? [Confused]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-20-2018 10:12 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, there are two different categories of "worst." The first, I actually enjoy: movies that are just so incompetently written, acted and directed (or are trying to make an artistic or political statement, and fail) that they achieve unintentional entertainment value. The second are those that don't quite achieve that pinnacle of mediocrity, and as a result are just frustrating to watch.

I've seen so many in both categories that I'd struggle to make a definitive choice for one in each. In the "so bad it's good" category, Big Jim McLain definitely scores very highly: it was made in the wake of the Hollywood Ten scandal, when almost every major actor, writer and director felt the need to make at least one patriotic feature in order to prove beyond doubt that they were not red under the bed. Most of the resulting films were rush job B-movies, with terrible scripts and performances, and not much better production values. This is easily the worst I've seen: even John Wayne and Nancy Olson can't rescue the movie from its script and are clearly not seriously trying, and the slimy commie villain is a laugh a minute.

In the "not quite bad enough to be funny" category, the Nazi Titanic comes to mind. Without anything else to redeem the movie, the cartoon character English and Jewish stereotypes would have sunk it cleanly (sorry!), not to mention inventing a blonde, blue-eyed German, who, as we all know, was the Titanic's first officer, who heroically tried to stop the whisky-chugging (from the bottle, of course) Captain Smith from crashing the boat into the iceberg. But the crowd scenes and special effects shots are too well done to be able to dismiss it totally.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-21-2018 07:29 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there are movies I hate, movies that failed, and movies that were so bad they left a lasting impression.
In the latter category is Challenge (which I remember as Frank Challenge:Toughest Man in The World, which may have been the poster copy). It was the first movie produced by and starring Earl Owensby, the wannabe Roger Corman of North Carolina, made to cash in on the Walking Tall films. I saw it when I was an usher back around 1975. I don't know how it ended up in our theatre as it was obviously drive-in filler fare. Everything about it was amateur. The funniest thing I recall is the chase scene that was clearly filmed at about 20mph, with insert shots of the speedometer at some ridiculously high number.
At the end of the film there was a request to the audience to tell the management if they liked the film so Earl could make more movies. Must have worked because he did. The manager of my theatre hid in the office during the credits so he didn't have to talk to anyone about how bad the film was.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 05-21-2018 08:22 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Cobi Fox
That one must be bad, because nobody I know has ever heard of it, even though it's a (relatively) recent release. Seriously though, who tf would call a movie Pumpkin?
I caught up with this at home after it's release and was SCREAMING at the screen because I was really tired and it took me deep into the movie to realize it was a satire. Then I re-watched it and thought it was funny as hell.

From Roger Ebert's three and one half star review

quote:
"Pumpkin" defies description. Maybe it doesn't need a category, it needs a diagnosis. Relentlessly, and sometimes brilliantly, it forces us to decide what we really think, how permissive our taste really is, how far a black comedy can go before it goes too far. It's like a teenage sex comedy crossed with the darkest corners of underground comics. We laugh in three ways: with humor, with recognition and with disbelief.
Also, to answer the question, "Star Trek V".

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2018 10:33 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a LOT of bad movies over the years, but still the worse one I have ever seen was Dusty And Sweets McGee (1971). 92 minutes of a couple shooting heroin in San Francisco to a rock and roll soundtrack. This is the only film that I actually paid money to see that I walked out of before the end.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2018 12:21 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Minions. It was nothing more than a giant commercial. No heart, no story, no characters, just pure committee made marketing drivel.

0 stars and 2 thumbs DOWN.

Meanwhile, I enjoyed the first Despicable Me.

Francis C. Koch
Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2018 12:27 PM      Profile for Francis C. Koch   Email Francis C. Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I joke with my wife that Dirty Dancing is the worst movie ever made because she loves it so, and it actually not a bad movie at all but I have a lot of fun telling her it is! Strange sense of humor that I have.
Seriously, Howard the Duck has got to be on the list as I could barley make it through that pile of feces.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-21-2018 12:44 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shortly before I left the Egyptian, I was asked by the programmers to examine and provide condition reports on a private collection of about 20 70mm prints, in a deal worked out with the print owner and copyright owners, that could have resulted in public screenings (I don't know if any were ever played, because I left shortly after doing the print examinations).

They dated between 1974 and 1996, and most were either so pink or so battered that they were unplayable, or were of titles that we knew of better alternatives in circulation.

The one exception was a print of Howard the Duck, which was a magnetic, 6-track SR print that looked like it was fresh out of the lab. We put a reel up on the screen, and it looked and sounded like a brand new print.

I then did some Googling and figured out why. The movie was f---ing abysmal, universally panned, and pulled from almost everywhere it played after the opening weekend. In the case of one prestigious central London cinema, it was actually pulled during the opening weekend!

Sadly, there is an inverse correlation between the quality of a movie and the quality of any old print of it that happens to be be in circulation. The worse the movie, the better the print.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-21-2018 01:29 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as movies I've actually seen... I would have to say Rocky IV. (The one where he fights the Russian boxer) The story was stupid, the acting was bad, and the ending was so preposterous. Even Paulie and Adrian were horrible in it.

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2018 02:13 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't get through the entire movie before turning it off but "It's Pat...The Movie" has got to be worse yet! I watched it from a DVD and I'm not sure if it ever got to theatres. It was that bad.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-21-2018 02:57 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The biggest let-down I've ever had in terms of a movie that was supposed to be absolutely wonderful and turned out to be anything but is Natural Born Killers.

After hearing how great the movie is, I literally waited through the whole show and right up to the end credits I was thinking, "This is going to get really good any minute now."

And of course it never did.

What a waste of perfectly good film and time.

I'll have to give some more thought to what the actual worst movie I've ever seen was (maybe Class of Nuke 'Em High or one of the other Troma movies), but Natural Born Killers was definitely the biggest disappointment.

Cobi Fox
Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2018 04:10 PM      Profile for Cobi Fox   Email Cobi Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
Shortly before I left the Egyptian, I was asked by the programmers to examine and provide condition reports on a private collection of about 20 70mm prints, in a deal worked out with the print owner and copyright owners, that could have resulted in public screenings (I don't know if any were ever played, because I left shortly after doing the print examinations).

They dated between 1974 and 1996, and most were either so pink or so battered that they were unplayable, or were of titles that we knew of better alternatives in circulation.

The one exception was a print of Howard the Duck, which was a magnetic, 6-track SR print that looked like it was fresh out of the lab. We put a reel up on the screen, and it looked and sounded like a brand new print.

I then did some Googling and figured out why. The movie was f---ing abysmal, universally panned, and pulled from almost everywhere it played after the opening weekend. In the case of one prestigious central London cinema, it was actually pulled during the opening weekend!

Sadly, there is an inverse correlation between the quality of a movie and the quality of any old print of it that happens to be be in circulation. The worse the movie, the better the print.

Do you honestly mean to tell me that 70mm prints were wasted on Howard the Duck!?!?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-22-2018 06:35 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just like I could never name "the best movie", I could equally never name "the worst movie".

It's a bit like choosing your favorite kid. It also hugely depends on the moment and obviously, your taste might change over the years.

But hooking into Howard the Duck, it's actually funny how the movie about this Marvel character became one of the most publicized flops ever. Keep in mind, making this movie was mostly the brainchild of George Lucas, even though he didn't direct it, he controlled almost all aspects of it.

George Lucas, the guy who gave us Star Wars, is somewhat of a strange fellow. I think he is, generally speaking, an abysmal director, you only need to look at the Star Wars prequels or at some other unfiltered work by him, like the animated movie Strange Magic from 2015 or what about the brilliantly awful Star Wars Holiday Special? Then again, there is some genuine creativity in him too, he seems to be able to create worlds and characters like no other but is simply incapable of dreaming up an appealing story, dialog or "semantic story glue", without the extensive input of others.

It's somewhat of a magic that despite him, we got the Star Wars we got today. I guess that if the original Star Wars would've hit the cinemas in a totally unfiltered way, it would've been a total disaster of a movie and we've never heard about Star Wars again, except maybe as a cult piece, very much like Turkish Star Wars*.

* It's actually a thing, it's called Dünyayı Kurtaran Adam (1982), it actually blatantly rips footage from other movies like Star Wars (whole scope segments fitted into the otherwise flat framed movie, so the Death Star becomes more of an Death Egg). You should try to get a copy (there are no GOOD copies) and have the best 91 minutes of your life. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: