Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Parents and children flee cinema after horror movie trailer plays before Peter Rabbit

Author Topic: Parents and children flee cinema after horror movie trailer plays before Peter Rabbit
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-27-2018 01:03 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Parents and children flee cinema after horror movie trailer plays before Peter Rabbit

quote:
The latest movie to (potentially) follow in the footsteps of recent high-concept horrors like It Follows, Get Out and

A Quiet Place, doesn’t premiere until June, but the trailer for Hereditary has been making the theatre circuit in recent weeks.

The movie received a perfect score on Rotten Tomatoes after it premiered at this year’s Sundance Film Festival. Critics called it “pure emotional terrorism,” “a ballet of menace,” “this generation’s The Exorcist,” “an absolute nightmare” and “two breathless hours of escalating terror.” (Those, for the record, were positive reviews.)

We can clearly ascertain, in other words, that this is a very scary movie. One might say, not at all for children.

Nevertheless, the trailer was shown ahead of a screening of uber family-friendly Peter Rabbit recently in Perth, Australia, to a theatre packed with parents and “at least 40 children.”

Now, here is a small list of some of the imagery that can be seen in Hereditary’s two-minute trailer: the head of a bird being cut off with a pair of scissors, a very creepy child asking her mother “who will take care of me when you die?”, a boy violently smashing his head against his desk, a person engulfed in flames, another drowned in flies, the list goes morbidly on.

One such theatre-goer named Jane informed The Sydney Morning Herald, “It was dreadful. Very quickly you could tell this was not a kid’s film. Parents were yelling at the projectionist to stop, covering their kids’ eyes and ears. A few went out to get a staff member, but she was overwhelmed and didn’t really know what to do. Some parents fled the cinema with their kids in tow.”

A senior staff member at the theatre eventually arrived and turned the screen off. All customers were offered complimentary movie passes for the incident, while the theatre’s parent company issued a formal apology, promising an internal investigation.

If you can stomach it, watch the trailer for Hereditary below. You’ve been warned.

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-27-2018 02:40 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Parents were yelling at the projectionist to stop
Theaters have projectionists in Perth?

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-27-2018 02:59 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They probably just turned around and yelled in the direction of the projection room, assuming that someone was there.

I wonder if this was someone's idea of a joke? Placing the most gruesome and brutal trailer in current rotation on a kids show? Seems awfully coincidental to me. I can see how you might put the wrong trailer on because it's listed just above or below the one that you really wanted, but this isn't that. The trailer for I Feel Pretty or Blockers wouldn't be appropriate either but it wouldn't create nearly the same kind of a stir.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 04-27-2018 03:16 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a pretty strong feeling the person who built the playlist intended to add Hotel Transylvania 3 and grabbed the wrong trailer. Of course this easy mistake was compounded by not simply double checking their work or doing a QC screening.

That being said, depending on the theatre management software, this could easily have been prevented if the studios included more metadata which prevented a trailer for an R rated movie from playing on a PG movie.

-

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-27-2018 03:22 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the late 1990's, the cinema I worked in didn't make a difference between the pre-shows for different types of shows, we had just one show...

We never got any complaints. I guess, people back then were also a whole lot less sensitive today. If this would happen today, it would fill up the local newspaper, describing to what horrors those kids have been exposed...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-27-2018 03:27 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People over-react. It's just a freaking trailer that's over in 2 minutes.

Rather than reacting in horror and shock and screaming and yelling, a better thing would be to turn the kid away from the screen, and explain "The theater made a mistake, just ignore all this silly racket it will be over in a couple of minutes." Then if the kid is really upset, go out to the lobby a couple minutes and buy him another candy bar. The incident will be completely forgotten.

Of course I'm not a parent, so I have no room to talk - but my best friend has a young daughter, and that's what he said he'd do, and he's an awesome dad. (And she's a great, well-behaved kid.)

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2018 04:03 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you can stomach it, watch the trailer for Hereditary below. You’ve been warned.
BFD -- I watched it and wasn't scared out of my wits. People are always looking to make mountains out of mole hills. What next, a lawsuit because little Johnny got frightened.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2018 04:08 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had complaints running the A Quiet Place green band trailer in front of Black Panther. A PG-13 film. Folks were bring young kids to Black Panther.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-27-2018 04:22 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had parents bring young kids to Blockers last week, twice.

One mother was buying the tickets and said to me, "This movie is ok for her, isn't it?" I said, "There's a lot of sexual content and nudity." I guess it didn't matter since she bought the tickets and went in with the kid.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-27-2018 10:57 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
people back then were also a whole lot less sensitive
I wonder if it was a green band trailer too.

It's ridiculous how overprotective and "sensitive" everyone is these days. Meanwhile the same parents probably let these kids have internet access and the stuff available on the internet is FAR worse than any movie Hollywood cranks out.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2018 01:15 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the 1980s, the region's Buena Vista rep would do trailer checks, informally, when visiting a cinema on whatever Disney movie was playing on screen. Reason? He noticed a small town theater in Texas was playing Hellraiser in front of Ernest Goes To Camp.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-10-2018 07:40 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Rather than reacting in horror and shock and screaming and yelling, a better thing would be to turn the kid away from the screen, and explain "The theater made a mistake, just ignore all this silly racket it will be over in a couple of minutes." Then if the kid is really upset, go out to the lobby a couple minutes and buy him another candy bar. The incident will be completely forgotten
Sensible and what any child psychologist will tell you is the best way to react when your kid is inadvertently exposed to something possibly disturbing. If YOU get hysterical, that makes a MUCH greater impact on the child that if the parent reacts calmly and explains what the child just saw.

Strange, we are required to learn all sorts of things in school that we KNOW we never will need, but you rarely see courses on parenting in our education system -- sex ed suffers the same fate...things pretty much essential to living...that's left up to chance.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: