Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » This is not the back door!

Author Topic: This is not the back door!
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-17-2018 05:12 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a sign on my front door, "For Deliveries outside of Movie Hours, ring doorbell at the BACK DOOR"

And this afternoon I hear pounding on the auditorium fire exit door on the side of the building. Turns out to be a truck driver with my popcorn supply order.

It's not the first time this has happened; you would think that the fact there is no doorbell or door handle on that door, not to mention that it's on the side of the building and not the back would be a sufficient clue that it's not the back door, but apparently not.

So I've just ordered a sign to put on that door. "This is NOT the Back Door".

Maybe I should have put one of those on that door years ago. It seems to happen about twice a year with drivers that have never been here before.

|  IP: Logged

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2018 05:37 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why am I not surprised?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-17-2018 06:15 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having done some engineering and design work for theme parks over the years, I can tell you what kind of considerations go into all levels of design when dealing with humans. (The same also seems to be true when dealing with anything interfacing with humans, like software design for example.) I guess most people around here have their own set of experiences in dealing with "the human factor".

It's essentially an exercise in systematically trying to simulate human stupidity. [Wink]

I'd say the 80/20 rule is in effect here. You'll have to put about 80% of your efforts into the 20% of those people who simply won't intuitively get it.

It also reminds me of another futile effort of the past, where we were trying to design an invoicing system that put out invoices in such a way, they still conformed with legal standards, but made it as easy as possible for people to determine the total amount that needed to be paid and to which account and reference, in big fat letters. Needless to say, it still often resulted in payments of arbitrary amounts they somehow found on the invoice.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-18-2018 09:05 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does your "THIS IS NOT THE BACK DOOR" sign point the direction to the actual back door?

You should also put up a sign on the back door that says "HOORAY! YOU'VE FOUND THE BACK DOOR! BUY YOURSELF A TREAT!"

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2018 11:54 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a delivery person who has never been to your location, mistaking a rear emergency exit for the "back door" does not seem like an unreasonable mistake. Rather than put up a semi-hostile "not a back door" sign, a better solution would be signs with an arrow pointing toward the actual "Delivery Entrance" on the exit doors, and a sign indicating "Delivery Entrance" on the actually door.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-18-2018 12:34 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sign that I've ordered will actually say:

This is not the back door
(arrow pointing to the back door)
Go around garage

Since that's the way to get to the back door. Basically, just keep walking the direction that you're already walking and you'll get there.

I don't think it's particularly hostile. It should save everyone some aggravation since nobody will be pounding on a door where there's no one to hear them and there's a doorbell and everything at the actual back door. I'll post a photo of it when it arrives and I get it installed.

Most people seem to figure it out on their own now; there's just the odd few that are less observant or something.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-18-2018 03:22 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should just plaster the whole place with Electric Shock Hazard signs. [Wink]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-02-2018 08:36 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct door says: "People" All others say "Animals only."

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-02-2018 10:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my parts store we get deliveries every night. The truck can show up anytime between 10:30 PM and 2:00 AM. It's a tractor-trailer so it takes a lot of space to back in there.

Our delivery door faces our parking lot. So I have five (!) signs all across that side of the building, "NO PARKING 10:00PM - 2:00 AM - DELIVERY ZONE."

Still, we're constantly having to track down people who park on that side of the building, but about 20 feet away from the wall.

I don't know how to re-word the signs, other than to put "YOU CAN'T PARK ANYWHERE ON THIS SIDE OF THE LOT, YOU IDIOTS."

James Wyrembelski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2018 11:02 PM      Profile for James Wyrembelski   Email James Wyrembelski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a shell gas station behind our restaurant that has a delivery door in the alley with some parking spaces. We have 0 spaces and we know not to park on that particular side of the gas station.

They clearly have a sign that says you will be towed.

People in the apartments above the shops had been parking there blocking all of the deliveries. So, the shell station no longer gives warnings, they just flat out have you towed. No one's blocked the door since!

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-02-2018 11:40 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-04-2018 11:43 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Signs -- sometimes they can cause unforeseen consequences. In the day, when cars came with junk radios that we immediately ripped them out and then went to Crutchfield to get us some good audiophile level gear in our car; we then had to deal with the problem of how to ward off the thieves from breaking in and stealing our fantastic custom system. You would often see cars with a sign on the bumper or side window, "NO RADIO ON BOARD."

There is the story of the fellow with a spanking new Mustang, all spotless and embellished with upgraded speakers and a hot after-purchase sound system. His high-end Pioneer stereo receiver was the new kind that could slide out of its shell casing and taken with you, the idea being it was a great theft deterrent if you could take the equipment home and avoid leaving in the car. So on his rear bumper and also on a sign that he placed on the dash every night as he removed his receiver, had the words NO RADIO ON BOARD in big bold red letters. Every night he would religiously remove his high powered receiver and place the sign on the dash when he went home after a day's work. Our man was quite pleased with himself as he had taken proper precautions to protect his pride and joy.

One morning he came out to his dream car, he was aghast to find the driver's side window smashed and inside, the beautiful leather seats were cut up into ribbons, padding material spilling out of the box cutter slashes. Laying on the seat was the sign that was on the dash board and scrawled across the back: "Next time, leave the *uckin radio."

True story.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-05-2018 01:06 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The version I heard ends, "well get one"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: