Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Identify this New York theater

Author Topic: Identify this New York theater
Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-02-2017 02:01 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone identify this theater in New York? I received a set of photos labeled as the Bryant/Academy/Apollo on 42nd Street, but that's not correct unless this is some sort of alley entrance. Should be April 1993.

-

|  IP: Logged

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2017 03:50 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most likely the Academy of Music theatre on East 14th St. But at that time it was named "The Palladium" so that must be a backstage or side entrance.

On the other hand, there was also an "Academy" Theatre on W. 43rd Street that was a concert venue in the 90s.

The Kinks played one of these venues or another May 13, 1993. Tough call on which one.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-02-2017 05:40 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I see what has happened here. This was the Apollo auditorium. At the time of the photo, it was being used as the Academy with an entrance on 43rd Street. The original 42nd Street entry had already been closed off. Thanks, Mark!

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-02-2017 08:26 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some history

quote:
Built in 1910 as the Bryant, 42nd Street's first motion picture and vaudeville house. In 1920, the Selwyn brothers rebuilt it (Eugene De Rosa, architect) as a legit house, the Apollo. From November 1934 to 1937, burlesque was produced, until the Brandt chain took over. By 1938, it was a popular art and foreign movie house. 1979 to 1983 marked a brief return to legit theatre. Later, it held rock concerts. Architectural elements from the building were incorporated into the Ford Center in 1998.

Built: 1910 Demolished: 1996

Theatre Names
Bryant (1910)
Apollo (1920)
New Apollo (1979)
Academy (1983)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: