Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Meyer Sound stuff has issues reaching rated specs/SPL?

Author Topic: Meyer Sound stuff has issues reaching rated specs/SPL?
Haris Ellahi
Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2017 08:36 AM      Profile for Haris Ellahi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the following thread on another forum (it's a 2005 thread) about how Meyer Sound stuff has issues or cannot reach their rated specs/SPL. I have also heard this from other respectable sources. Any thoughts?

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=78746.0

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-24-2017 04:16 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean, someone inflated the numbers on the specs sheet? No, that never ever happened before. [Smile]

I'm not really aware of any big number fudging at Meyer Sound though. I mean, they all polish their numbers in such ways to make it look better. In the end, the proof is in eating the pudding.

Even though, a speaker cannot reach the advertised maximum SPL, it doesn't automatically make it a bad speaker. Does your application really need the maximum SPL for example?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-24-2017 07:04 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sears used to sell Craftsman lawnmowers rated at 5.0 horsepower. It sounded all well and good but, if you read the fine print, you found out that the 5 horsepower rating was measured as BHP (Brake Horsepower) and not Wheel Horsepower or Shaft Horsepower.

So, in other words, that 5.0 horsepower written on the label means the amount of force needed to take the engine from top speed to a gear grinding, smoke belching, dead stop. You will never get that much power from an engine unless you use a break dynamometer. In real life, you'd be lucky to get 3 horsepower out of that engine.

Many products on the market, today, are rated using various laboratory methods that assume conditions that can never be achieved in real life.

You'd be hard pressed to get the same amount of power out of your speakers unless you tested them under the exact, same laboratory conditions that the manufacturer used when they made them.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-26-2017 10:58 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"5.0 horsepower written on the label means the amount of force needed to take the engine from top speed to a gear grinding, smoke belching, dead stop"
No.
"Brake Horsepower" is equivalent to shaft horsepower, the "brake" is a device that holds the engine at peak HP RPM at full throttle - absorbing the energy. A brake dynamometer basically. It does not stop the engine.
There are lots of ways to measure engine output, and using the most optimistic one is fairly normal. Cars often rate engine horsepower, what you care about is wheel horsepower after the transmission loss and accessory power has been subtracted.
Greaseball car marketers in the 70's would rate the engines at "SAE Net HP", a direct calculation from displacement - not a measure of actual power. The real horsepower of a hot engine could be double SAE and the government was frowning on overpowered sedans.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-26-2017 04:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I;m surprised, because Meyer is one of the best top notch speaker manufacturers around and also very expensive. They also test their stuff outdoors as well as inside a chamber. Most only test in a chamber when designing transducers and cabinets.

Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-26-2017 08:53 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this really a problem? If a venue is close to the edge of the capabilities of a particular speaker model, wouldn't one normally just go to the next larger model?

In any case the Meyer speakers are excellent. I have heard them in both a screening room and a large theatre and have zero complaints. I have no idea what they cost or if they are a good value, but the sound quality is top notch.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-27-2017 02:48 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
"Brake Horsepower" is equivalent to shaft horsepower, the "brake" is a device that holds the engine at peak HP RPM at full throttle - absorbing the energy. A brake dynamometer basically. It does not stop the engine.
Yes, you're right.

I'm sorry, it's my tendency to use hyperbole for humorous effect which sometimes doesn't translate from the spoken word to typed text.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2017 12:58 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Meyer Sound is extremely well engineered audio equipment. They sound fantastic everytime ive heard them in a cinema or rock concert.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: