Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » How much would you pay for 17,300 movies? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How much would you pay for 17,300 movies?
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 10-03-2017 01:24 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much would you pay for 17,300 movies?

quote:
A picture may be worth a thousand words, but a Winnipeg man is hoping his massive movie collection can pull in $1 million.

Adam Malik, 36, has posted his collection — which includes more than 17,300 movies — on eBay.

Walking through the floor-to-ceiling shelves, packed with DVDs, Blu-ray, Laserdiscs, VHS and Betamax tapes, in the basement of his Winnipeg home, Malik points to the movie that started it all — Jurassic Park.

"I have 23 copies of Jurassic Park," he said.

"It's my favourite movie so I bought all the different versions of it from England, Germany, all the different special editions over the years. I just keep buying new ones and all the formats: VHS, DVD, Blu-ray."

The first movie came as a gift 25 years ago, when Malik was 11 years old. After that, he started searching video stores, pawn shops, flea markets and anywhere he could get his hands on a movie.

Now, 500 square feet of his house are filled with movies and television shows, from The Godfather to Die Hard to the latest Superman movie, with a lot of other films and shows in between.

He's not particular about genre, but special collections catch his eye.

Adam Malik's collection includes more than 17,300 movies, stored in about 500 square feet of his house. (Trevor Brine/CBC)

Malik proudly pointed to the multiple shelves holding his other prized possessions: the movies from the Criterion Collection. Criterion specializes in special editions of important classic and contemporary films — a must-have item for any cinephile.

"They are typically very expensive. Some of them go out of print and it makes them very hard to find and very expensive and valuable," Malik said.

"I have just over 500 of those. Those would probably be the creme de la creme, if you will."

Malik smiled broadly talking about the collection, stored in alphabetical order (chronological if it's a series), but he said it was time to slash it down to a more modest number. He said that means leaving only 500 movies in his personal collection.

The collection was initially posted on eBay in August, and according to the website it has had 45 offers. Malik said he's being realistic that the collection, which he is calling the largest in the world, might not garner a million-dollar bid, but he remains hopeful.

"I've had as little as $1. I don't really want to say what the most was, but it still wasn't enough," Malik said.

"I get the compliment from how much people love to see the collection and appreciate what I have, to people who think I'm insane. Some nice, some not very nice, some straight up rude."

There have been more than a few people asking if Malik's girlfriend was behind the move, but, with a laugh, he insisted it was voluntary.

If he does find the perfect buyer — ideally someone who loves movies more than he does — Malik said he will come to terms with pulling the plug on his epic collection.

"[There] may be a little post-partum depression," he said.

"I'll get over it I think, the money hopefully will help."

If he's expecting a million dollars I think he'll be disappointed -- that's almost $60 for each item in his collection.

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-03-2017 01:29 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a collection, it's an accumulation [Wink]

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-03-2017 02:10 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it's an indication, but I recently bought 50 (yes fifty) Blu-Rays on Ebay for EUR 50 including shipping, which is somewhere around USD 60 at the current exchange rate.

To be fair, it was an auction without reserve. I guess somebody was cleaning his/her basement...

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-03-2017 03:24 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who needs 23 copies of Jurassic Park?

And I'm sorry - no 35mm?

He didn't get them all. [Wink]

Alexandre Pereira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2017 04:09 PM      Profile for Alexandre Pereira   Author's Homepage   Email Alexandre Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of it promptly into the dumpster if it is NOT 35mm.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-03-2017 05:52 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be surprised if he does find someone who is willing to pay serious money for those videos.

The thing that motivates compulsive collectors is the desire to build their collections themselves, looking for this elusive title here or that rarity there. Simply buying an enormous collection in one fell swoop takes the fun out of it. Very few collect indiscriminately, which is effectively what you'd be doing by buying this lot.

Furthermore, with media of that sort, 99.99% of them are essentially worthless. I have a (relatively small) collection of about 1,500 classical, jazz and spoken word phonograph records dating from 1898 to the present day. Seven of them are worth all the others put together.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-03-2017 06:34 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like movies, too, but...really...why? He has enough to watch one every day for forty-seven years. That is more than my expected lifespan.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-03-2017 07:08 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The magpie instinct, I guess. It would be interesting to see if any psychology researcher has looked into what motivates compulsive collectors.

A desire for completeness is certainly part of it: you want a copy of every movie with a certain actor in it, for example. One of my seven seriously valuable records is completely unremarkable in terms of its technical and aesthetic characteristics. The reason that copies of the that pressing go for the high three / low four figures on Ebay is that is an early performance by someone who later became seriously famous, only 150 copies were ever pressed, and there are obsessive fans of this performer out there who just feel the need to have everything she recorded, and who have everything except that. Ironically, I bought my copy in a thrift store in the 1990s for pennies, when vinyl (and shellac, which is what the record in question is actually made of) was being thrown into dumpsters by the ton.

Whenever I contemplate buying a book or a record now, the test I apply is, "Am I likely to read/listen to this more than once?" If I can't honestly answer yes to myself, I try to exercise the self-discipline not to buy it. I like sitting in front of a pair of loudspeakers, but there is a lot more to life than that.

It is sometimes joked that the "first law of archiving" is that 5% of a given collection is the subject of 95% of that collection's access activity. That's certainly true of mine.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-03-2017 07:56 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It certainly would not be interested in the collection. I already have something like 150 DVDs, and most of them have sat on a shelf untouched for years. Now says the main movies I buy are 4K Blu-ray, and only for movies I know I'll watch more than once. A handful of favorite movies have been upgraded from VHS to DVD, and now to Blu-Ray. And now that I have blu-ray I have a hard time watching any of the regular DVDs, and definitely not a VHS.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-03-2017 08:15 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's about a year ago I actually dug out the SONY SVP-5600P to capture a VHS tape. When you look at that picture nowadays, you can really see where we're coming from, a time where cinema really was seemingly light-years ahead of consumer video...

Frank B. McLaughlin
Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2017 11:43 AM      Profile for Frank B. McLaughlin   Author's Homepage   Email Frank B. McLaughlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
. . . and, sad to say, the way things are going our large screen home theaters are becoming superior in quality and presentation to most chain "theaters."

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2017 06:54 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This reminded me of a fellow I once knew who collected 16 and 35mm film prints. He was really heavily into it and bought, sold and traded, and he had an ad every month in The Big Reel back in the day.

One day he told me that he was going to firesale everything, get rid off all his prints. "I going to get into the NEXT big thing!" he told me.

"What's that?" I asked.

"Laserdiscs!" he said.

I've often wondered what became of his investment.

Alexandre Pereira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2017 09:26 PM      Profile for Alexandre Pereira   Author's Homepage   Email Alexandre Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
""Laserdiscs!" he said."

Cautionary tale.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-28-2017 02:32 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank B. McLaughlin
the way things are going our large screen home theaters are becoming superior in quality and presentation to most chain "theaters."
Why you got ATMOS and Barco Auro multichannel systems now ... just to stay that one step ahead of the game.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2017 02:10 AM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This collector is dreaming. Almost no one would care about anything except the Blu-rays. Maybe some collectors of Laserdiscs will care about those if they still have a working player, And buying in quantity, most people wouldn't want to pay more than $5 for most and let's say $12 for the Criterion's, assuming those are all Blu, which is doubtful. And let's assume overall, 5000 titles are Blu (although I suspect it's probably less). That's about $28,500. And he won't even get that.

I've read about several instances of vinyl collectors with enormous collections who also wanted to get rid of them and in spite of all the hype about vinyl, there were no takers. The collections are too large and too expensive for just about anyone to absorb.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: