Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Are you gonna get the iPhone "X"? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Are you gonna get the iPhone "X"?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-13-2017 08:27 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 6s, and while the X's new camera features and the face-recognition technology are pretty intriguing, I think I'll wait till the "XI" comes out and hope to get an X for a hundred bucks on clearance.

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-13-2017 09:01 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm holding out until they install the microchip in my shoulder. [Wink]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-13-2017 09:30 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very interested in it. But I'm holding off until actual users review it.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 09-13-2017 10:07 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't get an Apple phone because I can't program it without also purchasing a Mac and paying Apple $99 per year for the privilege of writing software for their system.

I'm not a giant fan of Android either, mostly due to the lack of control that a user is allowed, but at least I can write a program for it and the user control issue is slightly lesser than the iron grip that Apple maintains.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2017 10:30 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Cox
I wouldn't get an Apple phone because I can't program it without also purchasing a Mac and paying Apple $99 per year for the privilege of writing software for their system.

As a part time software developer, this is why I don't do anything Apple related.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2017 11:57 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still on a iPhone 5, so no, lolol. I may upgrade to an SE soon though. Price is sure to drop with the X coming out.

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2017 09:27 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like a headphone jack. Just will stick with my old Samsung smart phone. We held out till 2 years ago to even buy a cell phone. Now I like It with all the things a person can look at on It.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-14-2017 09:51 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of my friends are eagerly waiting the Apple iPhone Malcolm X. My girlfriend's youngest sister is going to order one. With all the press hype (and countless millions of dollars worth of free advertising to Apple) this new X phone will surely be a target for thieves and muggers. I can imagine someone who just bought a brand new Essential Phone with its bezel free, edge to edge screen getting mugged and then pistol whipped by the robber, angry that he thought he was getting a free iPhone X when it turned out to be an Android device.

Regarding smart phones I'm still very much an Android guy. Yesterday I hit the 2 year anniversary for when I bought my Samsung Galaxy Note 5. The phone still works great and even the battery is still holding its charge very well. If anything, I'm more tempted to shop around for a less costly phone plan rather than upgrade into a newer handset.

Samsung's new Note 8 is a great phone. It has more of a CinemaScope™ aspect ratio and fits in the hand better. Unfortunely I find the curved/tapered screen edges to be a big turn-off. How is a protective case and tempered glass screen protector supposed to fit on that thin, glassy, slippery, easy to drop slab? A staffer at Costco told me there was a new spray-on screen protector. If I remember right it costs a lot to apply. What if that spray-on surface gets scratched or blemished? How do you remove it, if the spray-on coating can be removed at all? Word has it Samsung is working on some kind of folding screen concept for Galaxy phones next year. I'll take a regular "boring" flat screen. At least Samsung brought back the MicroSD card slots.

quote: Mike Blakesley
I have a 6s, and while the X's new camera features and the face-recognition technology are pretty intriguing, I think I'll wait till the "XI" comes out and hope to get an X for a hundred bucks on clearance.
I'm a little worried about how face recognition technology could get hacked, like someone holding a picture of your face in front of the phone to gain access. It's just like muggers knocking out a victim and then using the victim's thumb to get into a phone to disable security measures.

Apple is changing iOS so when a user crosses an international border it will take more than just a thumb print to gain access to the phone. The 6 digit pass code will be required. Border agents have been using a loop hole to do warrant-less searches of phones and other digital devices of people entering the country, even American citizens returning home. Apparently it's easier for them to "legally" gain access if all it takes is the person's thumbprint. It's tougher to force them to give up a passcode (but they're doing this anyway). Apple is also making changes to iOS 11 to make it far more difficult for people to break into a phone without the passcode.

For me, the biggest deal coming from WWDC 2017 is the changes in iOS 11 over iOS 10. Better multi-tasking, an enhanced dock and an actual file manager that looks similar to Finder in MacOS.

I recently bought a large 12.9" iPad Pro (512GB, Wi-Fi only) with Apple Pencil to augment my design work. After looking at other products that offered on-screen drawing the iPad Pro with Apple Pencil seemed like the best deal. The Apple Pencil has no lag at all. The Wacom Cintiq product line works well, but the screens and tablet PCs cost a fortune. Microsoft's Surface Studio PC looks awesome and has a wonderful 4500 X 3000 resolution monitor that adjusts like an easel. But the damned stylus is just too laggy. And, again, you're paying a fortune for what seems like under-powered hardware.

The iPad Pro is certainly not a PC/Mac replacement. But I'll be able to do a lot of hand-drawing and hand-lettering tasks with it fairly quick and then bring that artwork into my other graphics programs on my work desktop or notebook for further refinement. Adobe's mobile design applications work best on the iPad Pro. I was really surprised at the dirt-cheap price of many design applications for the iPad Pro. Procreate is the most popular painting app for the iPad. It costs only $6! I think I paid $8 for Autodesk Graphic (a vector drawing program).

My only complaint with the Apple Pencil: there's a tiny female to female lightning connector you need to use hook it up to a charge cable. That little doohickey can be very easy to lose.

BTW, the iPad Pro has a traditional headphone jack on the top. There is only one Lightning port on the bottom. Some of the connectors for it (like the HDMI out) are pricey.

I'm not a giant fan of Android either, mostly due to the lack of control that a user is allowed, but at least I can write a program for it and the user control issue is slightly lesser than the iron grip that Apple maintains.
As an "end user" I am struggling to maintain any sympathy for developers. The recent Equifax hack, combined with numerous other security breaches, has me pretty pissed at certain software developers and even more pissed at Microsoft. It seems pretty safe to assume the "hole" used in the Equifax breach involved a Windows PC at some level.

Here in Lawton our city government is reeling from a malware attack that infiltrated their entire network. They won't say what kind of attack occurred, but if I had to guess I would say it's probably a ransom-ware infection, likely launched by a novice user not street smart when it comes to email attachments and strange web links. A lot of people haven't received water bills. I had to pay mine without a statement yesterday. The way they work I know I would get hit with a late fee if I waited for them to mail me a statement.

Apple is known for maintaining an iron-grip on control of its OS and how software is developed for it. It seems pretty clear to me that Microsoft is very long overdue for taking the same approach.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2017 09:51 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a Google Pixel phone about six months ago, and am perfectly happy with it.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-14-2017 12:02 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't necessarily need to pay to write apps for iOS.

You can download Xcode for free and use it without paying. You can write apps for YOUR OWN iPhone/iPad if you register but you don't have to pay.

You only need to pay if you want to upload apps to the App Store for other people to use. However, when you register and pay the fee, you get 70% of the money that Apple collects and, if your app has ads, you get a cut of the ad revenue.

Thus, if you write apps well enough, it is possible for your Apple Developer membership to pay for itself.

You don't necessarily need to use a Mac to develop iApps, either.

I don't know all the details but there are development applications that work on Windows which can compile apps for multiple platforms.

Even if you don't want to do that, it is possible to use a cheap, older, used Mac or a MacMini for developing iApps.

The ostensible reason for needing to jump through all these proverbial hoops to develop iApps is because all apps need to be digitally signed in order to run on iOS.

While I understand that reasoning and agree with it, in principle, I'm not a fan or ceding control to a third party just to own, use and develop apps for a device that I paid money to have in the first place. That's not simply a criticism against Apple. It is a criticism against the idea of being compelled to give control to ANYBODY.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2017 03:31 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
iPhone X facial recognition issue reported in the news today. It seem that anytime someone picks the phone up when it is locked, it goes through the facial recognition algorithm, and if too many failures, the phone locks up. Not a problem if nobody but you ever touches your phone, but for many families, this may be a problem.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-14-2017 05:22 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to buy one once heck freezes over. [Wink]

For my day to day business, I'm still using a Blackberry from 2013. The thing runs their "10" OS, which is essentially QNX with another user interface. It actually runs many Android applications and still offers practically everything I need. I've got all my e-mail accounts in there, it has GPS with Tom Tom based navigation (which often beats Google Maps), I can still open pretty much every site on it without much trouble and it supports all relevant GSM/3G/4G communication standards and as such, neatly roams across the world.

I've got an iPhone 5s, which I only use for testing purposes. It's interesting to see, how this thing has become increasingly sluggish, update after update after update...

I've also got a Samsung Galaxy S8, which was my attempt at switching to a new phone for my day to day business. But to be honest, every time I'm using that thing, I miss the physical keyboard. I also miss the snappiness of a real-time OS, like QNX. So, the thing now serves as my backup phone or as a mobile "alternative" for a rather bulky Canon EOS 6D or Sony Camcorder.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 09-14-2017 05:34 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
As an "end user" I am struggling to maintain any sympathy for developers. The recent Equifax hack, combined with numerous other security breaches, has me pretty pissed at certain software developers and even more pissed at Microsoft. It seems pretty safe to assume the "hole" used in the Equifax breach involved a Windows PC at some level.
Microsoft isn't a technology company -- it's a marketing company that happens to sell software of mediocre quality. (They also sell truly excellent keyboards and mice.)

Unfortunately, their software is just as much of a black box as Apple's, if not more so, and user control of what their stuff is doing is very close to zero as well.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2017 05:59 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
are you kidding - up to a thousand dollars - yeah, no thanks.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-14-2017 06:06 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got an iPnone7 a few months ago and I am extremely happy with it and will hang on to it for a few more years.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: