Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Cineplex offers discount pricing amid lack of summer blockbusters

Author Topic: Cineplex offers discount pricing amid lack of summer blockbusters
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 08-25-2017 01:48 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cineplex is the largest theatre chain in Canada.

Cineplex offers discount pricing amid lack of summer blockbusters

quote:

Cineplex is trying to reel more customers to its theatres following a lacklustre summer box office by offering discounted prices for the last days of August.

Its promotional material says Tuesday discount pricing will apply to all performances from Friday to Aug. 31.

Advanced ticket sales began on Wednesday.

Earlier this month, Cineplex joined other chains in announcing lower profits as fewer people filled theatres due to the lack of typical summer blockbusters.

For the first time this summer, it offered a pass that allowed customers to watch 10 movies at a cheaper price.

Cineplex has also been diversifying into other forms of entertainment.

I guess I'm glad it's not just me; by this time of the year I'm usually [Big Grin] ; this year I'm [Eek!] . I don't think I've seen a summer that's as slow as this one, ever.

And now we're getting back into what's always the slower season again. Hooray....

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-27-2017 10:57 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup - it's been a poor crop of movies this summer; really is that simple, IMHO. All the big ones have been sequels or reboots, and the few originals that have been any good (Dunkirk, 47 Metres Under) have essentially been for the arthouse crowd.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-27-2017 12:37 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://apnews.com/99d9c224098c4fa78406065be5255825

Box-office eclipse: Hollywood has worst weekend in 16 years

BY JAKE COYLE
29 mins ago
NEW YORK (AP) — Hollywood effectively took the weekend off, resulting in the most dismal box-office result in 16 years.

An already slow August came to a screeching halt at the multiplex, where no major new releases were unveiled.

That left the Samuel Jackson-Ryan Reynolds action-comedy "The Hitman's Bodyguard" to top all films for the second week with an estimated $10.1 million in ticket sales.

The horror film holdover "Annabelle: Creation" followed in second with $7.4 million in its third weekend. The "Conjuring" spinoff" has now grossed $77.9 million in total.

The Weinstein Co. animated release "Leap!" was one of the few new films to hit theaters.

It earned a scant $5 million, according to studio estimates Sunday.

The entire slate of films grossed only about $65 million, the lowest total since September 2001.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 08-27-2017 04:12 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably down a lot more than that in tickets numbers since those figures are never shown adjusted for ticket price inflation.

A count of actual tickets sold would be more interesting than dollars.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-27-2017 09:32 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are down, too. It's not like it was unexpected though....lots of stories were floating around this spring about how summer wasn't going to be that great. The big "hope" for this year was, spring was better than normal so they were hoping the summer would coast on spring's coattails. Didn't happen because the movies were so-so.

The irritating thing is, as always, this leads to the predictable onslaught of "theatrical-is-dead" stories, and frenzied attempts to hurry the industry into day-and-date video in some fashion, when all it will take to save the day is some better movies.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2017 05:52 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked tonight and I hadn't worked for almost a week and a half due to family in town. I was sure surprised to see the lack of business... We only sold 9 tickets total to four of our ten movies for the late show.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2017 06:19 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What? Those luxury recliners haven't been enough to bring in people?

Of the movies that did make money, why did the sequel to "Annabelle" make anything at all? I snuck into the first one and saw it for free, and it sucked!

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 08-30-2017 06:51 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of the movies that did make money, why did the sequel to "Annabelle" make anything at all? I snuck into the first one and saw it for free, and it sucked!
The new one is waaay better and requires no knowledge of anything that came before it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: