Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 480 Rock-Ola Jukebox trouble, Can anyone help

Author Topic: 480 Rock-Ola Jukebox trouble, Can anyone help
Eric Hartmann
Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2017 11:58 AM      Profile for Eric Hartmann   Email Eric Hartmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

A newbie here in the forum and a newbie to the hobby (jukebox)
here is my story, I hope it doesn't bore you.
I Have acquired a Rockola Techna 480 jukebox that was not working for 6 months, my friend said that it was playing one day and it stopped playing.
At that time all it did... was the turntable would spin and shut the breaker off on the power supply board.
I started to troubleshoot it and found that the cam pin on the lifter lever was bent and jammed from the tone arm assembly. I straighten the came pin and lubricated it and reinstalled it.
I then cleaned all the connectors, contacts on relays and checked for continuity on all micro switches also checked all fuse’s inside and outside the boards, everything checked ok.
Next I did the test procedure from the service manual on the keypad and profit setter they also passed, no 888 on the profit setter and all key presses on the key pad all responded. The power board has all 3 LED’s lit up and all other boards are indicating they have the 9.6 volts LED’s on. Power board was checked for 9.6 volts (pink wire )and was a solid 9.6v
Now it was time to test the record mechanism, I plugged in the power cord and flipped the power switch and to my liking the turntable started to turn and the gripper arm grabbed a record from the magazine and brought it over and laid it down on the turntable, the tone arm lifted up and laid down on the record, the mute turned off and it played! when the record finished it did everything in reverse, but it did not stop. it kept grabbing the same record then play it then replace it back in the magazine and then grab the same record and play it again. the only way to stop it was to flip the scan
switch from operate to the middle off position?
I noticed in the manual it says that once turned on, the record mechanism turns a full rotation to find home and stays there in stand by until you make a selection. it never does it?
Also when I press down on the scan switch the machine will actually do the same thing in operation mode as said above but when releasing the scan switch it will stop?
I couldn’t get the magazine to turn in scan mode and figured it would not scan unless the machine was in stand by, satisfying micro switch # 1 in the cam grove.
So I cycled the record mechanism around to stand by position. and tried the scan again the magazine will turn as long as I hold the switch slightly down, but I noticed if I completely pull the lever down to it’s stop position, the magazine will stop rotating and the sequence to play a record will start and play a record as long as I hold the scan switch down?
I checked the opto sensor to make sure the white line on the encoder disc aligns with the center line on the opto Encoder when the gripper arm is over magazine selection 100, The LED is on and pulses when activating the scan switch.
As of now I am dead in the water. I have a suspicion that it could be the logic board, opto board or maybe the operate/scan switch. The manual is very vague in explaining the logic board and since the record mechanism never stops to find home I cant do the test. I do know all LED’S on the logic board go on and off as said in the manual when it goes through it’s sequence to play a record.
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Kind regards Eric
P.S. this does not have the battery to store the selections when powered down.

|  IP: Logged

Alan Plester
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2017 12:39 PM      Profile for Alan Plester   Email Alan Plester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Eric. Not advertising here but I would Google
TNT amusements, run by Todd N Tucky. They are seriously good at this kind of thing,& just may be able to help over the phone.
Cheers &good luck

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: