Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Close Encounters of the Third Kind to be re-released in theaters 9/1

Author Topic: Close Encounters of the Third Kind to be re-released in theaters 9/1
William Kucharski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2017 12:13 AM      Profile for William Kucharski   Email William Kucharski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To celebrate its release on 4K UHD Blu-ray, Sony (Columbia) will be releasing the 4K master theatrically on 9/1.

I wish someone could convince them to strike some 70mm prints now that there are all those "Dunkirk" projectors out there…

(Yes, I originally saw it upon its release in 70mm six track, and the film never looked - or sounded -better than that.)

'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' Returning to Theaters for 40th Anniversary

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-26-2017 11:53 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: William Kucharski
To celebrate its release on 4K UHD Blu-ray, Sony (Columbia) will be releasing the 4K master theatrically on 9/1.
Instead, they should market it as "To celebrate the re-release in theaters WHERE IT SHOULD BE SEEN, the movie is also being released on Blu-Ray for those who can't make it to the theaters."

William Kucharski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2017 09:15 PM      Profile for William Kucharski   Email William Kucharski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wholeheartedly agree.

Sad thing is, the Facebook posts announcing it are already full of comments from people who've watched it before and found it boring. Many people just can't handle actual build up of story and need Fast and Furious-like pacing; similar comments have been made regarding the original Star Wars.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-26-2017 11:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's actually a comment I've heard a lot about old movies (that they're boring). Character development...who needs it?

I've always thought "Airport" would be a good movie to remake, but if they did, they'd have to figure out a way to get the bomber to blow up the plane in the first 10 minutes.

Alexandre Pereira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2017 12:01 AM      Profile for Alexandre Pereira   Author's Homepage   Email Alexandre Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Airport = Dean Martin. Great film where Dean completely pulled off a serious roll. The film should be remade but set in 1970 on a 707.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-27-2017 07:04 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the thing about Airport (the original). It was really about the airport itself, not the plane issue. The plane part was what the workers at the airport had to deal with. It was in the sequels where they shifted the story emphasis to plane storylines, right down to "Disaster in the Sky!"

Personally, I don't think there needs to be another Airport type movie. It has been done sufficiently. Airplane was an awesome spoof of it too and that, as well, does not need to be remade.

Find some new ideas.

I think Close Encounters was one of Spielberg's best movies with Raiders being his best, but that is me.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 07-27-2017 07:18 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ultimate Airport remake was Air Force One [evil]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-27-2017 08:28 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Alexandre Pereira
Airport = Dean Martin. Great film where Dean completely pulled off a serious roll.
True. He was very good in that part and got no respect for it.

William Kucharski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2017 08:44 PM      Profile for William Kucharski   Email William Kucharski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
I think Close Encounters was one of Spielberg's best movies with Raiders being his best, but that is me.
Much as I love Close Encounters - it's one of my favorite films - I'd have to put either Saving Private Ryan or Schindler's List higher on the Spielberg achievement list.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: