Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Best screens in New Orleans?

Author Topic: Best screens in New Orleans?
Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2017 12:01 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will be in New Orleans in early July and might get out to see Spiderman Homecoming and/or Baby Driver. Are there any cinemas I should be sure to visit? Any that I should avoid? I'm always looking for big screens, immersive sound, and a flawless presentation.

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-18-2017 08:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go there for the food, not movies! Enjoy!

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2017 10:57 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We'll be in the Big Easy this Thursday but I agree with Mark. For us it's the food and drink!!

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2017 07:42 AM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha - don't worry - we won't be skipping any meals, and we won't be eating at any chain restaurants.

My parents are meeting us for my daughter's Irish Step Dance competition (Nationals!). Mom and Dad live in a tiny town on the Outer Banks. Dad is a big movie buff, but the nearest cinema to his house is a 4+ hour drive (including a ferry ride). So when we get together, we like to go to the movies.

Also planning to visit the WWII History Museum. Went there once before and was very impressed.

Geoff

PS: Marketing tip - When someone posts at projectionist forum asking where to go to the movies, don't tell him or her to not to go to the movies. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-19-2017 08:29 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know too much about cinemas in New Orleans, so there are probably better sources to go to. But when I last visited already a couple of years ago, they had all the usual multiplex fare, 70mm IMAX, Digital IMAX, etc. But I went to the Prytania Theatre (had to look it up, because I forgot it was called after a moth).

It's a pretty charming, family owned, single screen neighbourhood theater in a pretty unique building. The facade is a brick wall devoid of any windows and the entrance looks more like a tunnel portal. The projection was spot on, sound was pretty OK, only the chairs could've been a bit more comfy. Most importantly, the ambiance was really great. It still had that old movie house feel.

I did a quick Google and they seem to be still in business, movie selection is pretty limited off course and mostly reruns of classics combined with like one first-run feature.

Had a great time there. Recommended! [Wink]

Chris Mosel
Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2017 11:22 AM      Profile for Chris Mosel   Email Chris Mosel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WW II museum had a very impressive 4D movie experience when I was there, maybe 9 or 10 years ago.

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2017 07:35 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will just have to go into any old cinema to escape the heat and hell humidity If you must see a film. They may not even have the AC up full as It cost them extra money to run It extra cold. Just stay in a good AC bar and have some tropical drinks and stay cool. Many of the best theatres in the area have long closed or have been torn down. I remember as a kid many large downtown movie palaces had the satin 'National Screen Service' banners with fringe that said 'Cold Refrigeration Inside' with photos of ice cubes/penquins ect. Just looking at these classic wave in the wind signs made you come into the theatre just to get out of the heat. Have a fun time, I will be in hot LA next week with the Theatre Historical Society for our 2017 movie conclave. Will be touring many great theatres in Southern CA and I hope they have the AC on please, the colder the better.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2017 11:23 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Terry Monohan
You will just have to go into any old cinema to escape the heat and hell humidity
I used to go to conventions for an industry that didn't have a lot of money. So they always went to cold places in the winter and warm places in the summer.

One June, they held the convention in New Orleans. I made the mistake of walking from my hotel on Canal Street to the convention center. When I got there, I was soaked from sweat. I had to run back to the hotel, shower and change and then take a cab back to the convention.

I also remember getting so dehydrated that I would drink continuous lemonade or I think I kept buying ices from a vendor on the boardwalk.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-20-2017 05:29 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well yeah, the humidity in the high 90s is pretty killing in combination with higher temperatures. Some people are laughing at me, but I usually keep a spray bottle filled with water at hand in smothery climates. So, I fight dense, moist and warm air with more water. [Wink]

Then again, I also dislike constantly walking from freezing cold conditioned rooms out into the smothering heat and back in. If you want to give your immune system a good workout, that's the way to do it.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-20-2017 11:00 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spent some of 8th, all of 9th and part of 10th grade living in the New Orleans area (Gretna and Belle Chasse actually). That was a long time ago. But I have some good memories of movies I watched there. I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark at a GCC location in Oakwood Mall. I got my cousin Randy to get us into see Heavy Metal the same summer. There was a small single or twin screen theater on the other side of my street (New England Court). We watched Escape From New York and For Your Eyes Only there. There was another multiplex in Terrytown where my family watched E.T. and Poltergeist.

All of this was before I noticed stuff like 70MM. That would happen another year later when my dad got stationed at Quantico, VA.

Aside from all that crap, there are 3 theaters in metro New Orleans with at least one Dolby Atmos-equipped screen. The Grande Esplanade in Kenner has a "GPX" premium screen with Atmos. Then there's two AMC locations, the Clearview Palace 12 in Metairie and the Elmwood Palace 20 in Harahan, both of which have Dolby Cinema and IMAX-branded screens. Across Lake Pontchartrain in downtown Covington the Movie Tavern Northshore has an Atmos equipped house.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2017 08:13 AM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bobby - that's what I was looking for. The Grand looks like it would be good for Spiderman: Homecoming. I like seeing this on their home page:
quote:
Featuring a Huge 3 Story Screen
and Holy Crap, the Movie Tavern Northshore is playing JAWS on July 11th, the day before we leave!

Marcel, I've been looking into the Prytania Theatre and it definitely looks like a cool place. I'd check it out if I spent more time there, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for right now.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: