Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Wonder Woman women-only screenings in Texas spark row (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Wonder Woman women-only screenings in Texas spark row
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-26-2017 09:05 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonder Woman women-only screenings in Texas spark row

quote:
A cinema chain in Austin, Texas, has caused uproar after scheduling women-only screenings of Wonder Woman.

The big-budget superhero film, which stars Gal Gadot, is set for US release on 2 June.

And on 6 June, the Alamo Drafthouse has reserved two showings for those who identify as female.

"The most iconic superheroine in comic book history finally has her own movie, and what better way to celebrate?" organisers said.

A post on the Alamo's website read: "Apologies, gentlemen, but we're embracing our girl power and saying 'No Guys Allowed' for one special night at the Alamo Ritz.

"And when we say 'People Who Identify As Women Only', we mean it. Everyone working at this screening - venue staff, projectionist, and culinary team - will be female.

"So lasso your geeky girlfriends together and grab your tickets to this celebration of one of the most enduring and inspiring characters ever created."

Now unimpressed men are lambasting the idea on Facebook, claiming they are being discriminated against.

"Great, let us know when you have guys-only screenings of Thor, Spider-Man, Star Wars, etc. Let's see you walk the walk now that you set this precedence [sic]," one man wrote.

"Very sorry if you feel excluded," came the reply on the cinema's official account.

"We thought it might be kinda fun ... to celebrate a character who's meant a great deal to women for close to eight decades. Again, truly, truly, truly, truly sorry that we've offended you."

"Have you ever hosted a men's only showing of any film?" Facebook user Bill Fairbrother enquired.

The cinema chain cheerfully responded: "We've never done showings where you had to be a man to get in, but we *did* show the Entourage movie a few years ago."

When another critic asked if there would be a men-only screening, the cinema posted a link on how to set up a private event, advising, "Go for it!"

But if some men objected, others embraced the move as within the spirit of the film, which is the first superhero outing with a female director - Patty Jenkins - and title character.

"I am a man and fully support this," said one fan.

"This is a great idea and I will see it another time! Wow, that was easier than deciding to feel persecuted!" wrote Geoff Stark.

As the women-only screenings have proved hugely popular, the Alamo now plans to extend the format across the US.

According to Mashable, the Dallas, Austin, and DC branches will donate proceeds from their ticket sales to local women's charities.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-26-2017 09:22 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The men who are protesting deserve to lose their man cards. This clearly belongs in the "Who Gives A Shit" file.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-26-2017 09:33 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They should have a guys only screening of Bridget Jones Diary or some such.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-26-2017 11:31 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's more of a poke from the guys towards the overall sensitivity to "discrimination" this country seems to suffer from. By that I don't mean legitimate discrimination, I am referring to those people who make a big deal about being discriminated against when there really isn't any discrimination happening.

I foresee an All-Arnold-All-Male set of shows in the future. [Razz]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-26-2017 12:54 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a prize for whoever shows up in the best "girlie man" costume?

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-26-2017 01:28 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
I am referring to those people who make a big deal about being discriminated against when there really isn't any discrimination happening.
Yeah, how come there's never a Daddies' Day Out screening?!? [evil]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2017 02:30 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would it be funny if the movie went down?

Just wondering....

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-26-2017 06:48 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point: if the projector breaks down, or the toilet blocks, or the popcorn popper stops working, would they admit a repair GUY to do the fix, if necessary? And if one of the ladies attending this show succumbs to a heart attack when she discovers what an abysmal movie it is, would a male paramedic be let in to the building to attend to her?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-26-2017 09:39 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there are at least a few women who know their way around a film projector, even a projector running a 70mm print. This forum has at least one or more participants that fall into that category.

As for men protesting this women-only screening of Wonder Woman, I'm with Mike on this. Those men need to have their man cards revoked at least for a few months. Maybe those "men" need to be handed some complimentary ointment to help with the sand in their vaginas.

Hollywood movies are overwhelmingly directed at young men. There is absolutely no argument against this concrete fact. So if a big studio wants to make a comic book movie with a strong female in the lead and give ladies their super hero day for the first time since the Kill Bill movies hit the screen that's all good. And it's all good if Alamo Drafthouse wants to take a chance on a ladies-only screening.

The only real snag on this women-only screening idea: the guys aren't going to be there to pick up the tab for the movie!
[evil] [Razz]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2017 10:29 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE LINK

I got to hand it to the marketing department at Alamo, they are getting a ton of free publicity on this:

Man provokes fury online after insisting he will attend women-only Wonder Woman screening

Stephen Miller provoked outrage by buying a ticket to a women only Wonder Woman screening at a Brooklyn theater
Miller told DailyMail.com he's 'not interested in causing a scene' at the movie
Twitter users were outraged by his clear defiance of the theater's event
One person said Miller can't let women just have this 'ONE THING'
Another said he is an 'ignorant, vile misogynist' trying to be 'egalitarian'

By Abigail Miller For Dailymail.com

Published: 10:08 EDT, 28 May 2017 | Updated: 11:15 EDT, 28 May 2017

Stephen Miller provoked outrage when he tweeted a photo of his ticket to a women only screening of 'Wonder Woman'

A man in Brooklyn provoked outrage on Friday when he tweeted a photo of his ticket receipt to a women only screening of the new 'Wonder Woman' movie.

Stephen Miller, a writer for the conservative site Heat Street, posted to his Twitter Friday morning he would be attending a 'no boys allowed' screening of the new film at the Alamo Drafthouse movie theater in Brooklyn, New York.

'I have some personal news I'd like to share,' he wrote, with a screenshot of two photos that prove he will be attending the Thursday night showing.

He immediately followed it with a second tweet, clarifying to his followers 'that's my ticket receipt on the right.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4549842/Man-provokes-fury-ticket-women-WW-screening.html#ixzz4iO63gELp
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-28-2017 11:44 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At risk of pushing this into a too-political direction, the fellow does have a point.

quote:
He also pointed out it's perfectly legal to buy a ticket to a specific screening, but it would be illegal to kick him out specifically on the ground of his sex or gender identity.

'They cannot remove me from a public place for my sex or gender. I plan on enjoying the film. Thanks,' he wrote on Saturday.

I read this article the other day about Canadian minor hockey; here is the relevant portion of the article:

quote:
Past human rights decisions have ruled that females have the right to play on male teams if they choose, which is why in Canadian minor hockey is organized into co-ed teams and female-only teams, but there are no boys-only teams.
Somehow that just seems... illogical.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-29-2017 07:04 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I got to hand it to the marketing department at Alamo, they are getting a ton of free publicity on this:
This.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2017 11:15 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the people who worry about this stuff (and things like who is cooking their burritos) should all just go live amongst themselves, their own little utopia!

I did chuckle the other day though about a guy who used a ladies room, and when challenged simply said, "I'm identifying as a woman today". Seems the municipality's new by-law was worded such that all bathrooms are now effectively co-ed.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2017 01:02 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
> I got to hand it to the marketing department at Alamo, they are getting a ton of free publicity on this

But is it good publicity?

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-01-2017 10:31 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's No Such Thing As Bad Publicity
Source (sorta)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: