Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Austin Man Sues Date for $17.31 Movie Ticket Claiming Date From Hell

Author Topic: Austin Man Sues Date for $17.31 Movie Ticket Claiming Date From Hell
Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2017 02:31 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Austin Man Sues Date

ROUND ROCK, Texas (AP) -- A Texas man is suing a woman he went on a date with for the price of a movie ticket after he says she texted through the film and left him at the theater.

Brandon Vezmar filed the claim for $17.31 last week. The 37-year-old tells the Austin American-Statesman he met the woman online and they went to see "Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2" on May 6. He says the 35-year-old woman refused to stop texting. Vezmar says he suggested she step outside to text. The woman then left the theater and never returned.

The woman tells the newspaper Vezmar asked her later for the cost of the ticket, but she refused because "he took me out on a date."

So much for the perils of on-line dating.
Not to mention that $17.31 seems a lot for a movie ticket. [Eek!]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-17-2017 02:54 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He ought to consider it a low price to pay to find out she isn't worth dating.

The whole thing seems like a prank to me....he's trying to get on "Judge Judy" or something.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-17-2017 03:08 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's famous now. The Dating App Babes will be swiping right (or whichever way one is supposed to swipe) all night. [Wink]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-17-2017 03:47 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm on a date with some lady and she can't put away her phone I'll cut the date short there regardless if we're eating, watching a movie or just hanging out with some other people at a bar or night club. Let that chick date whoever the hell she is texting! If I take a lady out on a date I afford her the courtesy of my undivided attention. Part of that involves not being fixated on my smart phone.

In a dark movie theater if I'm on a first date with some lady who can't stop messing with her phone I'll consider just moving to another seat and leaving her there. That texting shit during a movie will never go over well with a movie buff like me.

As for the guy suing for $17.31, isn't his time more valuable than this? What's the point? The lady is an inconsiderate bitch. Leave it at that, dude.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2017 04:43 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
The whole thing seems like a prank to me....he's trying to get on "Judge Judy" or something.
Yes, especially since it'll probably cost him $50+ to file in small claims court.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2017 09:52 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
The whole thing seems like a prank to me
I had the exactly the same reaction when I first read this story
There's just something about it that triggers my "B.S. Radar".

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2017 10:36 AM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When someone is texting in the cinema, you politely ask them to stop.

If that doesn't work, you go find a manager and ask to have the person removed.

That's what he should have done.

[Smile]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2017 02:19 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Common Courtesy.....

Common Sense....

Aren't so common anymore...

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2017 04:09 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Geoff Jones

To his date?

BTW: Judge Judy producers troll the small claims courts looking for fodder. My daughter got a poke when she sued her former landlord over a security deposit. Thankfully she declined the offer. She won.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-19-2017 05:38 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Geoff Jones

It would be a classy way of getting rid of a failed date too. [Wink]

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2017 10:32 AM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had an online date like that once. We were supposed to go bike riding, but it rained, so we decided on a movie. So I picked her up at her apartment, which was just a few blocks from the theater. It wasn't raining hard, but she refused to walk to the theater. We jumped in a cab. The driver did have a bit of an odor, but we were only going a few blocks and she did make a really big deal out of it. I said, "why don't you just open the window - we'll be out of the cab in about 90 seconds."

We walk into the auditorium, which was quite crowded and she sits down. The person next to her says, "sorry, this seat is taken". She doesn't get up. He says it again. She doesn't move. I reach under her arm and lift her out of her seat. I guide her to another seat. She says, "THAT SEAT WASN'T TAKEN - THEY'RE LYING!" I said, "the other person is probably buying popcorn or in the bathroom" and sure enough that person walked down the aisle and sat down and was obviously the other person's spouse. (I should have made a run for it right then and there).

She behaves okay during the movie (I think this was before smartphones). But when the credits came up, two 80-year-olds passed in front of us to leave and she started cursing at them and it's not like she was a film geek who wanted to see all the credits.

To make a long story short, she then created scenes at two different restaurants (one because they weren't serving the breakfast menu) and then cursed out someone who was playing ball with a 3-year-old in front of her apartment building. She then got her little rat dog which she allowed to do whatever all over the sidewalk. I could see her doorman eyeing me and I imagined him trying to tell me to "make a run for it". I did. It certainly was the movie date from hell. Would have been nice to sue somebody over it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: