Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » L.A. Theater Provides Barf Bags for Cannibal Movie 'Raw'

Author Topic: L.A. Theater Provides Barf Bags for Cannibal Movie 'Raw'
Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-21-2017 09:35 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it's a good marketing gimmick... [Big Grin]
From the Hollywood Reporter:

quote:

L.A. Theater Provides Barf Bags for Cannibal Movie 'Raw'

By Pamela McClintock - March 21, 2017

The intense French thriller follows a young girl who gets an all-consuming appetite for human flesh.

Moviegoers nauseated by French director's Julia Ducournau's cannibal-infused Raw don't need to worry about throwing up in their popcorn bags — at least at the Nuart Theatre in Los Angeles.

The cinema is offering custom-made barf bags to customers before the movie begins playing. An usher hands out the bags after explaining that, due to the graphic gore in the movie, several viewers have fainted, while at least one person vomited.

"One of the staff at the Nuart took up the initiative to make the barf bags out of paper lunch bags. What a fun idea! I remember that used to be done with some horror releases in the 1970s," said Mark Valen, a film buyer with Landmark Theatres and who also programs the Nuart.

It isn't the first time people have responded in such fashion. There were also fainting and vomiting when the French thriller made the rounds on the festival circuit.

Raw, about a young girl who develops an all-consuming appetite for human flesh, made its world premiere at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival before playing at other fests, including Toronto. Focus World picked up rights to the movie following Cannes.

"Marking the feature debut of French director Julia Ducournau, who leads a terrific young cast into a maelstrom of blood, guts and unfettered sexual awakening, this Cannes Critics' Week selection should become a hot potato (or is that a meatball?) at the market while propelling its talented creator into the spotlight," The Hollywood Reporter's review said of the movie. Adding to the gore factor is the fact that the film is set at a Gallic veterinary college.

Raw, which opened in select theaters earlier this month, has grossed $78,000 to date from nine cinemas.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 03-21-2017 09:40 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a couple of people vomit during the Jackass movies. And one during... Bridesmaids, maybe? I remember that one made a tremendous mess out of the aisle rug.

Good thing I have my own carpet cleaning machine. I can clean that sort of thing up right after the show and it's as good as new by the next night.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-21-2017 10:13 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Either this is a marketing stunt, or they are a bunch of wusses.

We played this pic at Beyondfest (French and subtitled, so it's art, right?) last fall: most of the audience were swigging beer and guzzling candy throughout the show. No barf was in evidence anywhere afterwards.

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2017 11:18 PM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember there were a lot of reports on people getting motion sickness during Blair Witch Project and the Paranormal Activity movies because of the found footage style.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2017 11:48 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They did the barf bag thing for the movie "Mark of the Devil" back in 1970.

Aint no such thing as something new in Hollywoodland.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-22-2017 06:51 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just watch the John Goodman movie Matinee. In the movie, they have their audience sign release forms before entering the theatre from the "nurse" that is on standby. I love this movie!

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2017 11:54 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matinee is one of my favorite films as well, I grew up with all these movies and I remember their gimmicks. As I am sure you know, the John Goodman character is modeled after William Castle, who was a true pioneer of this kind of stuff, including the nurse in the lobby. His gag for The Tingler was the placement of vibrating motors under theater seats which would zap film goers on cue, this was done just a few years ago at the Film Forum as part of a Castle retrospective. Of course, the best was "Emergo", which involved flying a skeleton out of a box at the top of the screen, this for House on Haunted Hill. I believe the Loews Jersey did this some time ago.

-

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-22-2017 01:17 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When Exorcist first came out Mad Magazine had made up barf bags for it

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-22-2017 10:02 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They'll really need them for the sequel, then. In that movie, they have to hire the devil to get the priest out of the child!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: