Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The 89th Academy Awards 2017 - Complete List of Nominations

Author Topic: The 89th Academy Awards 2017 - Complete List of Nominations
Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 01-24-2017 01:32 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Picture

Arrival
Fences
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water
Hidden Figures
La La Land
Lion
Manchester by the Sea
Moonlight

Directing

Denis Villeneuve, “Arrival”
Mel Gibson, "Hacksaw Ridge
Damien Chazelle, “La La Land”
Barry Jenkins, “Moonlight”
Kenneth Lonergan, “Manchester by the Sea"

Actor in a leading role

Casey Affleck, “Manchester by the Sea”
Andrew Garfield, “Hacksaw Ridge”
Ryan Gosling, “La La Land”
Viggo Mortensen, “Captain Fantastic”
Denzel Washington, “Fences”

Actor in a supporting role

Mahershala Ali, “Moonlight”
Jeff Bridges, “Hell or High Water”
Lucas Hedges, “Manchester by the Sea”
Dev Patel, “Lion”
Michael Shannon, “Nocturnal Animals”

Actress in a leading role

Emma Stone, “La La Land”
Natalie Portman, “Jackie”
Ruth Negga, “Loving”
Meryl Streep, “Florence Foster Jenkins”
Isabelle Huppert, “Elle”

Actress in a supporting role

Viola Davis, “Fences”
Naomie Harris, "Moonlight"
Nicole Kidman, “Lion”
Octavia Spencer, “Hidden Figures”
Michelle Williams, “Manchester by the Sea”

Adapted Screenplay

“Lion,” by Luke Davis
“Arrival,” by Eric Heisserer
“Moonlight,” by Barry Jenkins
“Hidden Figures,” by Theodore Melfi and Allison Schroeder
“Fences,” by August Wilson

Original Screenplay

“Manchester by the Sea,” by Kenneth Lonergan
“Hell or High Water,” by Taylor Sheridan
“La La Land,” by Damien Chazelle
"20th Century Women," by Mike Mills
“The Lobster,” by Efthymis Filippou and Yorgos Lanthimos

Cinematography

“Arrival”
“La La Land”
“Lion”
“Moonlight”
“Silence”

Documentary feature

“Fire at Sea”
“I am Not Your Negro”
“Life, Animated”
“OJ: Made in America”
“13th”

Documentary short

“Extermis”
“4.1 miles”
“Joe’s Violins”
“Watani: My Homeland”
“The White Helmets”

Foreign language film

“Toni Erdmann,” Germany
“The Salesman,” Iran
“A Man Called Ove,” Sweden
“Tanna,” Australia
“Land of Mine,” Denmark

Sound editing

“Arrival”
“Deepwater Horizon”
"Hacksaw Ridge”
“La La Land”
“Sully”

Sound mixing

“Arrival”
"Hacksaw Ridge”
“La La Land”
“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story”
“13 Hours"

Original score

Justin Hurwitz, "La La Land"
Mica Levi, "Jackie"
Nicholas Britell, "Moonlight"
Volker Bertelmann and Dustin O'Halloran, "Lion"
Thomas Newman, "Passengers"

Original song

“City of Stars” (“La La Land”)
“How Far I’ll Go” (“Moana”)
“Audition (The Fools Who Dream)” (“La La Land")
“The Empty Chair” (“Jim: The James Foley Story”)
“Can’t Stop the Feeling!” (“Trolls”)

Production design

"Arrival" (Patrice Vermette, Paul Hotte)
“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” (Stuart Craig, Anna Pinnock)
"Hail, Caesar!" (Jess Gonchor, Nancy Haigh)
"La La Land" (David Wasco, Sandy Reynolds-Wasco)
"Passengers" (Guy Hendrix Dyas, Gene Serdena)

Visual effects

“Deepwater Horizon”
“Doctor Strange”
“The Jungle Book”
“Kubo and the Two Strings”
“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story”

Makeup and hairstyling

“A Man Called Ove”
“Star Trek Beyond”
“Suicide Squad”

Costume design

Mary Zophres, "La La Land"
Madeline Fontaine, "Jackie"
Consolata Boyle, "Florence Foster Jenkins"
Colleen Atwood, "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them"
Joanna Johnston, "Allied"

Film Editing

“Arrival”
"Hell or High Water"
“Hacksaw Ridge”
“La La Land”
“Moonlight”

Live-action short

"Ennemis intérieurs," Selim Azzazi
"La femme et le TGV," Timo von Gunten
"Silent Nights," Aske Bang, Kim Magnusson
“Sing,” Kristof Deák, Anna Udvardy
"Timecode," Juanjo Gimenez

Animated Short Film

"Blind Vashya”
"Borrowed Time"
"Pear Cider and Cigareets"
"Pearl"
"Piper"

Animated Feature Film

“Kubo and the Two Strings”
“Moana”
“My Life as a Zucchini”
“The Red Turtle”
“Zootopia”

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-24-2017 02:35 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see Hacksaw Ridge (the subject of whom was a member of my church) and Hell or High Water in the Best Picture list, and also Toni Erdmann and A Man Called Ove in the Foreign Film list. Given that until now, about Sweden's only globally known cinematic export was Ingmar Bergman, it was a bit of a culture shock to see that the Swedes do in fact have a sense of humor!

Fire at Sea is the only one of the documentaries I've seen, which I had problems with (but essentially political ones, and so OT for this forum), but which nevertheless has a lot to recommend it.

Very disappointed that Aquarius didn't make a nomination, though.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-24-2017 02:50 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised "Arrival" got as much love as it did, considering it wasn't a huge hit and sci-fi doesn't usually get much attention in the major categories.

I just hope there are enough ethnic groups represented to satisfy everybody this year. What with the quality of the work being a secondary consideration these days.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-24-2017 08:42 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The AMPAS was already walking on very thin ice. For the past two years in a row all of the nominees in all the acting categories have been white. Looking over the 2016 slate of movie releases, black actors have had significant roles and delivered great performances in some of the most critically acclaimed movies of the past year. If the AMPAS had delivered another all-white slate of acting nominees, for a third year in a row, it would have invited a gigantic W.T.F. from far more than just the black community.

Moonlight has the highest score on Rotten Tomatoes out of all this year's Best Picture nominees (98%), and from what I can tell via IMDB it has won the most critics association awards for Best Picture. Fences had a 95% score. Hidden Figures had a 92% score. La La Land with 14 nominations (93% RT score) is easily the favorite to win Best Picture, although Manchester by the Sea (96% RT score) could upset.

Out of this year's 20 acting nominees, 6 are black and 1 (Dev Patel) is of Indian descent. 3 of the black nominees are in the Best Supporting Actress category.

Over the previous couple or so Oscar awards it is interesting that Mexican directors have won the Best Director Oscar the past 3 years in a row. Alejandro G. Iñárritu won for The Revenant last year and Birdman the previous year (beating Black director Steve McQueen for 12 Years A Slave). Alfonso Cuarón won for Gravity before that.

quote: Mike Blakesley
I'm surprised "Arrival" got as much love as it did, considering it wasn't a huge hit and sci-fi doesn't usually get much attention in the major categories.
I thought it was a good movie. My girlfriend hated the ending of it though. I think Arrival scored the nomination and a lot of praise from critics for its serious themes, like humanity's tendency to impulsively rush to judgment and even take violent action before really thinking a situation through. That upped the tension level in this movie pretty effectively.

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2017 08:52 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-26-2017 12:56 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I agree with Clint.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-26-2017 04:08 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw LA LA LAND two weeks ago and I thought it was just an ordinary movie that I thought it was only good but not as great as everyone seem to claim it is. It has been compared to musicals of the past but I disagree. I Thought movies like SINGING IN THE RAIN, MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS, GIGI, SOUND OF MUSIC, MY FAIR LADY, and even CABARET were all great but LA LA LAND does not compare the the other film's greatness.

-CLaude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: