Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Kodak Super 8 camera at the NAMM Show

Author Topic: Kodak Super 8 camera at the NAMM Show
Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2017 11:04 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get to disappoint you right up front by mentioning that The NAMM Show, one of the world's largest trade shows for music, musicians, instruments, and music technology, isn't open to the public. It's at the Anaheim, CA Convention Center next week, January 19-22, 2017, for trade members, exhibitors, and their guests.

So they're planning to have a demonstration of the Kodak Super 8 camera at a seminar entitled Kodak's Analog Film Renaissance – Now Impacting the Music Industry. Their reasoning is explained in the summary from the above link:
quote:

Presented by: David Pack

Why did Beyoncé record her latest music video using Kodak analog film? Why are so many major filmmakers and recording artists going back to analog – for film – and what does this film have that digital technology cannot yet match? Come for a fascinating discussion and some innovative examples of the latest music video and film technology, including Kodak's retro-new Super 8 analog film camera that will be demonstrated. Former Ambrosia singer/producer/writer David Pack will host this session, along with Steve Bellamy, President of Motion Picture and Entertainment for Eastman Kodak's consumer division, and some special guests.

Interesting! Hope it helps bring back Kodachrome and sells some cameras.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-15-2017 04:14 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see this camera being used in professional production. It has a nonremovable, prime lens of a brand (Ricoh) that has no reputation in professional movie production, for one thing.

The people who are using Super 8 professionally or semi-professionally will be using the final generation "prosumer" models (e.g. Beaulieu) that have been heavily refurbished and modified to take swappable professional lenses, such as those sold and rented by Pro8mm.

I can see this Kodak camera being used in places like film schools, but given its list price, it would even be unattractive to amateurs and hobbyists compared to good, used equipment on Ebay. If they can get the cost down to $200ish, it may stand more of a chance in this market.

As for Kodachrome, at the press conference at which the relaunch of Ektachrome was announced, I believe it was said that they were investigating the feasibility of bringing it back. I'd still be very surprised if they did, though.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-15-2017 07:20 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..then, you got projectors needed to show these Super 8 films.

Wonder if magnetic sound 8 would come back.

This will make my Kodak Moviedeck 265 happy once again.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-16-2017 06:52 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Projectors won't help much, since there is no color reversal film at the moment (unless/until Ektachrome and/or Kodachrome are revived). Kodak does sell B&W reversal, but most of what they are pushing with super-8 is negative stock. Since there is no infrastructure for making positive prints from s8 negatives (one place in Germany can do it...at very high prices), the intended application is to have the s8 negative transferred to videotape.

Honestly, though, for the same price, one could buy a nice, used 16mm camera (Bolex or similar) and shoot much higher quality footage. And there _is_ an existing postproduction/printing infrastructure for 16mm, so those users would have no trouble getting projectable prints. Also, 16mm offers the option of using higher-quality cameras, making synchronized sound possible, as well as a wide selection of lenses. The only thing that s8 really buys anyone is easy cartridge film loading, which is also probably the format's biggest weakness (no proper pressure plate in the camera).

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2017 09:30 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

Kodak is reintroducing EKTA reversal later this year for stills, super 8 and maybe even 16mm. Also there are some super 8 colour reversal stocks made by other companies on the market right now. http://www.colorreversalfilm.com/

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: