Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Connectivity issues with IPv6

Author Topic: Connectivity issues with IPv6
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-02-2017 03:48 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is something I dealt with over the weekend and I thought I would post here since we have some very tech savvy people.

On my home network I discovered I was having issues with Android devices connecting to the Google Play Store. The store would load fine, and I could search for apps. But when I tried to download new apps or updates it was like the files could not be found. I first noticed this on my Galaxy Tablet which is wifi only, but also found my phone was having the same issue on my wifi.

I went through all the troubleshooting steps I could find:
- Rebooting my tablet
- Rebooting my router, and toggling the wifi on my tablet
- Clearing the Play Store cache in the app manager
- Changing the time settings to manual, and then changing to the wrong time before resetting
- Removing updates to the Play Store
- Downloading and installing Play Store and Play Services updates via APKs
- Removing Google account and re-adding; also tried with a different account

When none of this worked I took the nuclear option of doing a factory restore of my tablet. None of this resolved the issue.

At this point I tried to update an app on my phone and discovered it would not work. I turned off the wifi and the update worked just fine over the cell network.

After reading about someone else's issue, I enabled and connected to the guest network on my router. I was able to do updates with this connection.

This caused me to explore further and that's when I came across the suggestion to disable IPv6 on my router. I did this and the issue was instantly resolved.

What I don't understand is what caused the issue. As far as I can tell this is something which just came up in the last month or so - prior to that I had been able to download apps through the App store. I don't know if this is a router issue or an ISP issue, or something else.

The other thing is my connection is running much faster since disabling IPv6.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-02-2017 05:11 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Until there are good reasons to reenable, I always disable IPv6 in both routers and devices. We're in a transitional phase, and you can simply not predict how all your (sometimes old) devices and routers deal with this mixed IPv4/v6 operations.
Leave this to the people having fun with that kind of trouble.

- Carsten

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: