Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » RIP Tim Bob of the Graham Cinema, Graham NC

Author Topic: RIP Tim Bob of the Graham Cinema, Graham NC
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-31-2016 09:19 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw on Facebook today that Tim Bob, creator of one of the best theater answering machine recordings ever, has died. Don't know any other details. But if you never called Tim Bob's movie line, you missed out. It was classic.

|  IP: Logged

Martin Murray
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2017 01:43 AM      Profile for Martin Murray   Email Martin Murray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He was one of my best friends for 30+ years. His death came as a shock to many of us.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-03-2017 12:26 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found a nice article about him passing. Didn't realize it had happened in October.

The last reel: Graham Cinema's voice, manager passes away

Posted Oct 5, 2016 at 6:42 PM
Updated Oct 5, 2016 at 6:42 PM

By Isaac Groves / Times-News

GRAHAM — Timothy “Tim Bob” Matthews, manager and former owner of the Graham Cinema, died Monday in his apartment above the theater that he ran for 32 years.

"We are going to truly miss him,” Graham Mayor Jerry Peterman said. “He’s one of Graham’s icons that made downtown Graham what it is today."

The cinema, with its $4 tickets and $1 popcorn, is known as a place where families could afford a night out.

"He always charged even dollars because he did not like handling change," said Chuck Talley, who now owns the cinema with his wife Jennifer.

Matthews was known also for the recordings he left at 336-226-1488 with movie times, ratings and reviews.

“Tim was always very honest about the movies,” Peterman said. “He’d say, ‘Save your money,’ and things like that.”

“He liked chick flicks,” said Scott, his oldest son. “He loved ‘Fried Green Tomatoes’ and ‘Sleepless in Seattle’; he didn’t really like action movies."

He also recorded jokes, not all of which can be repeated here. Let’s just say the punchline to the first joke on his last recording was, “‘Honey, you didn’t act like that 40 years ago,’ and she said, ‘Well, 40 years ago that fence wasn’t electrified.’”

John Isley, co-host of the John Boy and Billy radio show, grew up in Graham and started using Matthews' recordings on the show and recommending them to other DJs. It became more popular and for a time Matthews could be heard from coast to coast and beyond.

"At its peak he was doing live remotes from Australia and Spain,” Talley said.

Matthews came from Raleigh to Graham some time in the 1970s, Scott said, and went to work at the cinema in the early 1980s. Tickets were $4.

“Which was first-run back then.” Scott said. “It was not doing very well.”

Right before the theater went under, Scott said, instead of a first-run movie, the owner showed “ET” and sold tickets for $1. Instead of selling 200 tickets that week, he sold 2,000. Tim Matthews saw the potential for second-run movies and bought the theater in 1984. He sold tickets for $1 and popcorn for 50 cents.

The cinema became a center for downtown social life, and Matthews was at the heart of it. Scott Matthews, who worked with his father at the cinema for the past 22 years, said when the line would back up at the concession stand, it was probably his father stopping to talk to someone.

“He loved the customers,” Matthews said. “He loved that answering machine he did; he loved making people laugh. I don’t know; he just loved being around people."

He sold the cinema to the Talleys years ago but stayed on to manage the place, and he is not done there: His memorial service will be there at 11 a.m. Oct. 15.

“That’s what he would have wanted,” Talley said. “Tim wouldn’t want everyone to show up in suits; he would just want everyone to show up.”

Times News article

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2017 08:29 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started calling the Graham around 2000. Always good for a laugh. I read about his passing in October. Was it of natural causes?

Martin Murray
Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2017 07:59 AM      Profile for Martin Murray   Email Martin Murray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Sean, his heart.

Kristo Nalo
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2017 11:40 PM      Profile for Kristo Nalo   Email Kristo Nalo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So sorry to hear this. Rest in peace Tim Bob one of the best achievers in our industry. Tim leaves a mark to all the people that know him in person and also in our industry his name is famous even though I never see him in person. I think he is a cool guy and I know I can learn new things and advice from an expert like him.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2017 06:51 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't know of Tim Bob, but was curious about the recordings and came across this interview from 2014. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUWYk40Bq9o

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: