Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » SIT tone on voicemail

Author Topic: SIT tone on voicemail
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-27-2016 12:48 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the past couple of weeks I have been getting a daily spam phone call to my "theatre office" number (which is actually my cell phone). I blocked the number on my phone but that apparently doesn't actually block the number completely -- it just makes my phone not ring and pushes the call directly to voicemail. Since I have a pay-per-use voicemail (25 cents per message) that means that the spam call is costing me 25 cents per day since I now get a daily voicemail message from that number consisting of three seconds of silence.

I complained to Sask Tel about this and was basically told "tough luck", so now I've found my own solution.

I re-recorded the outbound message on that voicemail ("Hello, please leave a message", etc.) and play a SIT tone as the first thing on my outbound message. So now anyone who reaches my voicemail hears "beep beep beep - Hello, please leave a message".

Many autodialers listen for a SIT tone to determine if a number is out of service, so the SIT tone on my outbound message causes the autodialer to hang up immediately and I don't receive a 3 second silent voicemail and I don't have to pay 25 cents. Anyone who's really calling me can still leave a message as usual, of course.

And it works. The spam call that I've been getting daily has now stopped. I should have done this a couple of weeks ago when it started and saved myself a few dollars.

|  IP: Logged

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2016 02:43 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in the US there is a service called nomorobo.com that terminates robot dialers after one ring. My nuisance calls have dropped to almost zero since activating the free service. I'm not sure if its available in Canada and it only works if you have the simultaneous ring feature common on VOIP lines.

On the SIT tone fix: There is a device called a telezapper that sends SIT when detecting an off hook. The problem is that it generates the tones every time you pick up the phone and that can be annoying. Also, many mass callers have opted to ignore SIT and continue with the call.

I wanted to add SIT to my outgoing message but I'd have to do surgery on my cheap answering machine since there is no line input.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-27-2016 03:23 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No need for a line input or surgery. Just play the SIT tone on a speaker right beside your answering machine's microphone, then talk.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2016 11:16 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having worked for 'the phone company' for awhile some years back,
I know the SIT tone trick has been a favorite of the phone-tech savvy
for some time.
I never used it, but, because I had two lines at home and knew some
special routing code tricks, my favorite things to do to telemarketers
was to dump them to either the "howler" (that annoying loud noise
you get if you leave the phone off the hook too long) or I'd dump
them to the coin-op intercept recording, which would say "Deposit 25
cents, please... Also, if the same number called me back within 30
seconds, they'd get sent to the "twilight zone" which was simply a
'dead air' termination, usually used for testing the presence line
impulse noise or ground hum.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2016 04:37 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A funny thing about the coin intercept announcement from my past life.

All of the COs had dedicated channels for recordings. One of our COs didn't have any coin service so the crew decided to be creative and record their own message.

Years later coin service was added to that CO and the long forgotten announcement was still there.

"Yo Bro, these calls don't be free. Ya gots to put some money in the machine."

Needless to say management was not pleased.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: