Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Chicago Cubs going to World series for first time since 1945

Author Topic: Chicago Cubs going to World series for first time since 1945
Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2016 10:36 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW, a long dry spell finally ended for the Cubbies. Good luck in the series Chicago.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2016 01:15 PM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The World series. When do they play a team in the UK [Big Grin]

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-23-2016 01:20 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We invited the Canadians. Will that do?

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2016 03:36 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the UK gets a baseball team. Kind of like when the US gets a Cricket team! LOL

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2016 03:51 PM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have no problem watching US sport.

I spent an afternoon watching the Rams and the Giants at Twickenham on the BBC.

Bored out of my skull.

[sleep] [sleep] [sleep] [sleep] [sleep] [sleep]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-23-2016 04:44 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The World Series is (was) named after its original sponsor, a newspaper called "The World."

Edit: apparently, this is probably not actually true, although there is some debate about that.

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2016 05:00 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Clint Koch
When the UK gets a baseball team. Kind of like when the US gets a Cricket team! LOL
The local Girls school have a rounders team will that do [Big Grin]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-25-2016 11:25 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this year's World Series is pretty exciting. For once we have a pair of teams who both rarely ever make it to the championship round, much less win it. And both teams are very good and very worthy of being in the series.

The Cleveland Indians haven't won a World Series in 68 years. Their last title was in 1948. From the late 1950's until the 1990's Cleveland's team was routinely terrible and dubbed "the mistake by the lake." They had World Series appearances in 1995 and 1997, but lost both.

The Chicago Cubs haven't had even so much as a World Series appearance since 1945. The team won the World Series in 1907 and 1908. They had 7 World Series appearances after 1908, the last being in 1945.

I think the long suffering fans of both these teams are going to be more appreciative of their teams making it to this series than fans of other teams who make it to the World Series and win on a more regular basis -like fans of the New York Yankees or St. Louis Cardinals. Heartbreak is going to be worse for the fans of the losing team. Emotional stakes are pretty high.

I'm rooting more for the Cubs since they've arguably had the longer, more painful drought. If they win it might feel like a curse was lifted, just like with the Boston Red Sox winning their first series in 86 years back in 2004. That was a great year for Major League Baseball. Either way, if the Cubs win or the Indians win I think this series will be great for baseball as well.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-25-2016 01:41 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
I think the long suffering fans of both these teams are going to be more appreciative of their teams making it to this series than fans of other teams who make it to the World Series and win on a more regular basis
As a Giants fan, the 2010 World Series will always be the most special because it was the first they won in my lifetime - first in 56 years actually. The 2012 and 2014 series are both special for different reasons, but 2010 will always be the most memorable.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: