Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Transferable Skills

Author Topic: Transferable Skills
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-26-2016 11:03 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just came across an opportunity for a new job today.
I went to a temp-to-hire agency and they want to set me up with an interview with a client company but I need to rewrite my resume so it's tailored to the job.

This is the place where I'll be applying... http://www.eriebearings.com/motor-control/customcontrol.html

Assuming I get the position, I would be building and wiring industrial control panels.

If you've ever looked inside a projector console or the back of a sound rack (most of us have) you'll likely see the same kinds of parts inside an industrial control console... Switches, wires, fuses, contactors and circuit boards.

Think about it. What is a projector console but a custom built industrial control panel? It's virtually the same thing. Isn't it? The only difference is that, instead of making movies, you're running conveyors and other kinds of industrial machinery. Right?

I've already spoken to the people at the agency regarding the job and I'm convinced that this would be a transferable job for me.

C'mon... How many times have I had to tear apart a CFS Rentec or a Christie projector console? Almost every day! (Proverbially speaking. [Wink] )

Anyhow, the question is how should I rewrite my resume to tweak it for the job in question?

I usually hate to use jargon or keywords but I guess that's what people want to see when they look at a resume. Your stereotypical hiring manager is only going to look at a resume for about 90 seconds unless he sees something that catches his attention.

How can I tweak up this resume in order to relate the things that I did in my old job in order to show the hiring manager that I have the necessary skills to do this new job.

This is probably the biggest challenge I have when it comes to explaining to people what a theater technician does. Most people think that running a projection booth only involves pressing the "play" button then sitting and watching movies all day. (With digital projection that perception seems to be getting worse.)

How can I impress upon a potential employer that the work I did in a movie theater is transferable to some other business?

I just got the lead on this job today and the woman at the agency wants to see my updated resume by tomorrow.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 09-26-2016 11:34 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could/should express an interest in ladder programming for some common PLC's. (It's really very simple and logical to learn, at least the basics, and you can do some really cool stuff. In a former life I did a few traffic lights, some work for a water treatment plant and some oilfield monitoring stuff. All of those things were fascinating to work on. Hex keyboards really suck, though; this was before you could go into the field, plug in any old laptop and get a real keyboard and display to work on. And traffic lights are no fun when they go four-way red for no readily apparent reason when it's -40 and the control box is on the median along with sweet tweet else for cover.)

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-26-2016 11:56 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Cox
You could/should express an interest in ladder programming for some common PLC's.
I can install, operate and repair theater dimmer consoles like this:
http://www.etcconnect.com/Racks-and-Panels/

And I can program theater lighting control consoles like this:
http://www.etcconnect.com/Products/Consoles/

It's not the same thing as programming PLCs or traffic light controls but it's all the same theory. Isn't it?

Thanks for reminding me! I'll have to be sure to put those things down. [Big Grin]

Rex Oliver
Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2016 01:57 AM      Profile for Rex Oliver   Email Rex Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Transmitter control ladders have swiches,interlocks,relays,and so on.Esp the older ones we have here in Greenville.Lots of CH,Square D and other relays and contactors.The newer transmitters have some solid state control logic that operates the relays and contactors.and like on another thread here-lots of air-sail switches for blower and airflow interlocking.Water pressure and flow interlocks,too.Most of the time its a loose door interlock.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2016 05:54 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would avoid using the term "I can" because it could imply you have not actually done the task. Instead write it so it implies your job responsibilities required you to install, program and maintain.

Good luck on your quest.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-27-2016 10:52 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always try to use action verbs.

Operate. Maintain. Repair. Diagnose. Troubleshoot.
Train. Supervise. Perform (a task). Manage. Prepare.
etc...

[Smile]

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2016 02:13 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink]

David M. Leugers
Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2016 07:12 PM      Profile for David M. Leugers   Email David M. Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy

I've been on both ends of a technical position hiring and I make one small suggestion. Offer to be tested on your basic electrical knowledge and skills if granted an interview.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-14-2016 02:01 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll remember that. [Smile]

The biggest problem that keeps popping up, again and again, is that people have no understanding of the job I do. Everybody thinks that I just press the "play" button and watch movies all day.

In times past, if I gave somebody a tour of a projection booth and explained what I do, 90% of the people were flabbergasted. I am virtually certain that if I could give an employer a booth tour, they would probably ask me when I can start, right there on the spot. Unfortunately, projection booths don't exist anymore.

I have gone through my computer and collected up all the photos that I can find. I plan to put them on my iPad so that I can show an interviewer what kind of job I used to do.

I haven't heard back from anybody yet... Fingers crossed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: