Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Mobile Friendly Version of Film-Tech (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Mobile Friendly Version of Film-Tech
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 09-17-2016 09:07 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few nights ago I was looking up some information on my phone, and realized FT is not at all mobile friendly. Just curious if there is any thing that could be done to make the site more mobile friendly.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-17-2016 10:52 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can read it on my phone no problem, I just double tap on the text boxes and they fill the screen.

If you mean, it resizes itself for your phone and looks like a bunch of giant blocks on a regular computer...I'm glad it's not mobile friendly.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2016 11:05 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try flipping sideways for widescreen viewing. Looks splendid on my iPhone 6.

-

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2016 11:26 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far, all the mobile friendly stuff looks awful on my tablet. I have to go hit "get desktop site" to get something usable.

Harold

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2016 06:43 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last thing I need/want is another app on my phone.
IMO, FT works just fine on my phone & tablets.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 09-18-2016 03:24 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So you're saying that it's already mobile friendly; it's just picky about who its friends are.

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2016 04:12 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Harold Hallikainen
So far, all the mobile friendly stuff looks awful on my tablet
This. I'm an iPad user, and "ordinary" websites look just fine on it. Then some arse website decides I'm a "mobile device" and I need the "mobile friendly" version of their site. Arrgh!!! The better sites have a "use desktop version" link, but usually buried so far away its almost impossible to find. But the really arsey websites, well, they just do mobile version for me.

The annoying thing is that its possible to design a website that just works on a phone, an iPad, and a desktop. Responsive design. It works.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-18-2016 08:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The biggest problem I have with "responsive design" sites is, they're clearly usually designed mostly for phones. Thus, everything is gigantic on a regular computer screen. To see anything you have to scroll and scroll and scroll. I would like to spend more than one second on a screen before I have to scroll down.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 09-18-2016 09:59 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me there are 2 main issues which are problematic with websites which are not optimized for smaller screen sizes.

1. Page elements which are hard codes to be a specific size, which is wider than most phones, and even tablets. This includes banners at the top of the page, table layouts, and form elements. Often these elements cause the page to load very small to accommodate the widest element, resulting in the need to zoom, and scrolling back and forth to view the page.

2. Navigation elements which are difficult to use on small touch screens. Especially when most links and are navigation elements are mainly text.

In my opinion, a screen size smaller than about 450 pixels should be automatically directed to a mobile page for most sites. I agree with Mike about pages which scale and then wind up being REALLY big. I try to limit the scaling on my pages to 600 pixels, and anything wider would still get the size for 600 pixels.

A well designed desktop page can use relative sizing for most elements so the page layout works well on different size screens, and avoids funky layout issues when things scrunch up - such as images overlaying text.

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2016 10:02 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Responsive design.... To see anything you have to scroll and scroll and scroll.
Responsive design makes a web page work on a screen of different sizes. Having one big web page as opposed to many web pages is a different issue; you can still have a web site structured by pages with responsive design.

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2016 04:37 AM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same question came across my mind on several occasions. This site is ok for regular desktop browsing but for mobile browsing is problematic.

Does anybody knows is there some app for android for UBB Classic forum boards similar to TapaTalk? I've been searching but no avail.

Alex

P.S. Maybe some of us can team up and build some custom app for android/iphone for this purpose? For example i can write code which will be able to pull data from server and write posts back but when it comes to UI I will need help from someone familiar with UI design.

Alex

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-20-2016 05:11 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The term "mobile friendly" means "can't design a proper website."

Somebody who knows his shit should be able to design a website that functions well on both desktop and mobile devices but doesn't look or operate any differently on either platform.

Maybe text and images might be larger or smaller but, unless you held the two versions up, side by side, you'd have a hard time telling the difference.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-20-2016 02:01 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing on Film-Tech that I would consider a "problem" is when you want to go to a specific page of a topic, you have to zoom in to the page numbers. I've been doing it long enough that it's natural to me, but a "next page" button somewhere might be a help.

Typing a post is sort of clunky, but that's the way it is on all sites, even most mobile-friendly ones I've seen (which is admittedly not all that many). Some things are just better suited to desktop computing...."one size fits all" just leads to problems.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-20-2016 03:17 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In theory so-called "Responsive Design" can be a very good thing for web sites. In practice, the "responsive" movement has ruined many web sites and turned "web development" into a thing where creativity and design have little if any place at all.

Today, most web sites that have any decent responsive function to them are nothing more than a canned template with different pictures and other assets pasted into it. The webby people call the templates "themes," but it's really just a fucking template. WordPress is the most popular, but there are others like Wix, Drupal, etc.

Wordpress-style themes have taken over most web sites because of two reasons: 1.: it takes way the hell too much time to hand code a properly functional responsive web site of any significant size and 2.: the "designer" practically needs a masters degree in computer science just to know what the hell he is doing with all that damned code.

quote: Randy Stankey
Somebody who knows his shit should be able to design a website that functions well on both desktop and mobile devices but doesn't look or operate any differently on either platform.
I say there's far fewer people who really "know their shit" with current web design standards than there was 10 years ago. And even if someone really knows his shit that someone has only so much time to spend hand coding page layouts.

If someone wants to build a proper responsive website there's no way in hell he's going to get the job done with just one or two layouts per page. Computer monitors come in a wide variety of sizes and resolution settings. Same goes for mobile devices, and they add vertical orientation to compound the misery and drudgery of the situation.

The common trick these days is using break points. The user's web browser will have a view port so many pixels wide. A responsive page's code will load a version of the layout closest to one of its break points so it looks optimized in that browser. The problem is choosing how many break points and versions of the page layout you're going to create, along with all the appropriately sized images, logos and other assets for each layout. You can go anywhere from 480 pixels wide for someone still using a museum piece computer or phone to something over 5000 pixels wide for some high end computer monitors. That's what the web page builder must do if he wants any control of the page composition. He could go with a more "liquid layout" with containers and objects that automatically scale to cut down on all the different layouts for just one page, but do so at the risk of it looking like an Excel spread sheet.

It's a big pain in the ass just to visually compose a bunch of different layouts for one page in a code-free web design app like Adobe Muse. It's an even bigger pain in the ass to hand code all those different break point layouts.

Break point layouts don't always work. Some mobile phones squeeze more pixels into their displays than a lot of computer monitors, making for some huge differences in pixels per inch. My Samsung Note 5 has a 2560x1440 pixel screen, but it doesn't really need to load a web layout geared for a 27" computer monitor. This is essentially why we still have "mobile version" web sites getting built. Some phone users just don't feel like pinch-zooming every web page they read.

I just wish all the desktop and mobile devices were designed for horizontal display. That would have greatly simplified the situation and cut down on the number of layout break points needed in a properly designed web site. It might have also reduced the amount of horrible vertical video afflicting the Internet and spreading to TV networks even.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 09-20-2016 04:42 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
I disagree with this point. When I'm looking at a "mobile friendly" page, I expect to see a more minimal design. For example, a movie's showtimes listings shouldn't have every bit of detail about the movie you might see on a desktop site. Otherwise the page becomes too long and results in lots of scrolling, or constantly jumping to the next page. Not to mention the mobile site should take into consideration the fact a person may not be accessing from a consistently fast connection. Or that mobile browsers may not support certain features like Flash (which should be on it's way out anyways).

Of course it largely depends on the purpose of the site. I agree with having consistency in design, but the layout of the site should be such that the information users are looking for is easy to access. Generally speaking desktop users are more likely to be browsing and exploring, where mobile users are more likely to be looking for specific information.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: