Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Movies that would actually be good to remake

Author Topic: Movies that would actually be good to remake
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-02-2016 12:51 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've seen so many misguided, pointless, bad and stupid remakes lately, so I was wondering if we could come up with movies that really COULD benefit from a good remake. There are lots of movies that weren't mega-blockbusters upon release that could be turned into great movies if done properly.

One I thought of right off the bat was ROLLERCOASTER, which was one of the original Sensurround movies. It came out in 1977. If remade today, it could be faster-paced (the original was a little draggy in spots), and of course there are a lot more real badass rollercoasters today compared to the relatively tame ones in the original (although some of those are still in operation today).

I guess the only downside, it would maybe hit a little too close to home when we're looking at actual terrorist threats these days -- oh, for the carefree days of 1977, when my biggest concern was finding a girlfriend -- so most theme parks would probably object to a film such as this being made today. But you have to admit they could really make a great caper film from this premise.

Another one I thought of was COMA. It's still a great thriller today but could really benefit from putting it in today's techno-world...lots of potential for really creeping people out.

And finally, SNEAKERS, which is one of my favorite movies so if they do remake it, they better do a great job on it. Robert Redford could play the Sidney Poitier part and Will Smith could star in Redford's part from the original. Here again, technology has advanced such that they could make the story more interesting with cool gadgets.

What are your proposals for great remakes? Who knows, some Hollywood writer might read this and get an inspiration.

|  IP: Logged

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2016 02:21 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith (probably - I never saw it)

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-02-2016 02:24 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These days Hollywood movie studios tend to do the opposite of what I would prefer with remakes. They like to remake movies whose originals were already very good or great. Ben Hur is one of the latest examples. I would rather remake a movie whose original had a good premise, lots of potential, but just wasn't executed as well as it should have been.

Since Paramount has no problem sticking different guys into the Jack Ryan role from time to time, I think The Hunt for Red October has potential to be re-made into a much better movie. The book is my favorite Tom Clancy novel, and I feel the 1990 movie just didn't do the book proper justice. There were major story deviations and I really hated the phony, schmaltz-infected ending in the movie. It was very different from the book's ending, which seemed more grounded in reality.

Species had a great deal of potential, but it turned into a really stupid slasher type movie. The "Sil" character was at first painted as a sympathetic character and then just out of nowhere turned into an generic killer. There was an opportunity in the story for a truly horrible monster to escape from the lab and have the scientists trying to save Sil from it (instead of mating with it) and get her human side restored somehow. That would have been more interesting than the silly path the movie chose to take. Maybe they took the latter path out of budget and technology limits of the mid 1990's. Since Species II took a giant shit on that franchise any remake of the original might have to be made under a completely different title.

If I can think of any others I'll add them to this thread.

quote: Mike Blakesley
Another one I thought of was COMA. It's still a great thriller today but could really benefit from putting it in today's techno-world...lots of potential for really creeping people out.
A re-make of Coma could have a lot of timely potential these days, considering the runaway cost inflation and sheer greed going on in the health care industrial complex.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-02-2016 03:34 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Along similar lines:

The Onion

quote:
Despite the recent box-office failures of Exodus, Ben-Hur, and Gods Of Egypt, studios continue to fund big-budget movies they hope will achieve blockbuster success. The Onion provides a step-by-step breakdown of how one of these movies becomes a flop:

STEP 1

Warner Bros. executive catches old rerun of The Rifleman and thinks, “I could make that cost a quarter of a billion dollars”

STEP 2

Screenwriter commissioned to develop a story that’s splashy, family-friendly, and has a hard July 24, 2017 release date

STEP 3

Meryl Streep declines to participate

STEP 4

Repeated production delays caused by prima donna CGI animator refusing to come out of his trailer

STEP 5

Classically trained Shakespearean actor privately wonders why his character wants to blow up planet Earth

STEP 6

Studio hands off total creative control to illustrious, visionary test audience

STEP 7

Top minds at Burger King tapped for limited-edition cup collaboration

STEP 8

Year-long marketing rollout to get the public intrigued, then excited, then cautiously optimistic, then annoyed, then intolerant of upcoming film

STEP 9

Critics sent advance screeners and encouraged to keep reviews to one or two words, tops

STEP 10

Home video and overseas markets swoop in to make everything all right

STEP 11

Paramount executive catches old rerun of Dynasty and thinks, “I could make that cost a quarter of a billion dollars”

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-02-2016 11:08 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with Bobby on Coma. I picked up the novel in a thrift store a few months ago, and it struck me that the 1970s movie was not a very good adaptation. As with Frederick Forsyth, there have never been any really memorable film adapations of Robin Cook novels, because they depend so much on unfilmable technical detail for their plots to make sense. But as with updating King Kong in the context of the 1970s oil crisis, updating Coma with a backstory about how Obamacare is pressuring the healthcare industry to find new ways of making money could be quite fun.

There are so many iconic Hollywood silents that only serious movie buffs know (and thus you wouldn't have the problem of the mass audience comparing your remake unfavorably to the original) that would be ripe remake territory; Hell's Hinges and The Iron Horse would be near the top of my list.

Not exactly a remake, but I've just finished [url= https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batavia%27s_Graveyard]this account[/url] of a c17 mutiny and shipwreck in ended up with mass-murder, cannibalism and basically an all-out bloodbath on a desert island. The perfect subject for Tarantino's next movie, surely (though he'd have to become fluent in R-rated Dutch as part of his research)! Though apparently, according to various rumors on the wab, Russel Crowe got there first and is working on a screenplay. Oh well.

And as far as The Bible goes, we're long overdue for a remake of The Last Days of Sodom and Gomorrah, not least because the original was low budget, Spaghetti Western stuff but not even cheaply enough made to be funny. Again, ripe Tarantino subject matter, though he'd have to resist the temptation for cheesy CGI when it came to Lot's wife's saline demise. Continuing the story into Genesis 19 (Lot gets drunk and impregnates his daughters) rather than rolling the credits as Lot leads the faithful into the sunset would be interesting, too...

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2016 02:11 AM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I nominate The Black Hole, which was built around a great idea but suffered from Star Wars envy on the part of the studio. Strip out the goofiness, and make it a Heart of Darkness-style story about a genius living on the edge of the known universe, who has maybe, or maybe not, gone mad. The research station at the edge of the Black Hole has gone radio silent and a crew is dispatched to find out what went wrong.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-03-2016 09:29 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the original black swan (1940's) or Anne of the Indies or remake of treasure island [Smile]

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2016 10:51 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a long time Hollywood types have been proposing a remake of Forbidden Planet, in fact it's been talked about for so long that it was a minor subplot in Clouds of Sils Maria. It's a terrific science fiction movie from 1956 that is a great watch up until a poorly thought out ending. It also suffered from marginal visual effects, some of which were mearly hand-drawn animations. I'd love to see the same movie with contemporary VFX and a little bit more rational final scene.

Although it won't necessarily be an improvement, I keep wondering what's keeping a remake of Three Days of the Condor, one of my favorite and one of the best written movies of the 1970s.

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2016 01:24 PM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking Witness (with Harrison Ford) could make for a good remake, even if the story wouldn't be considered as original nowadays.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2016 05:07 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, It's been years since I read "the hunt for red October" but have seen the movie on TV in the past year or two. I'm trying to think of what was the major differences. Maybe you could point some out. As much as I would love to re read the novel (it's one of my favorites) I just don't have the time right now. [Smile]

Btw... Anyone looking for a good book (that would make a good movie) should check out a novel called "The Blue Nowhere" the computer references are now very outdated but the plot and characters I think stand up. It's about a "white hat" hacker who is temporarily released from jail to help the LAPD "computer crimes unit" catch a killer who is adept at using social engineering and computer "hacking" to lure and murder his victims. It is one of my favorite novels the Author is Jeffery Deaver.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-03-2016 05:09 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My vote is for "A Separate Peace," although it apparently has been re-made. I loved the book, but the 1970s Paramount film version is horrid. I would be curious to see the more recent version at some point.

Agreed with the earlier comment that re-making good films is just a waste of time and doomed for failure. If films must be re-made, then the writers should pick ones that were marginal or worse in their original versions.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-05-2016 11:46 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sean McKinnon
Bobby, It's been years since I read "the hunt for red October" but have seen the movie on TV in the past year or two. I'm trying to think of what was the major differences. Maybe you could point some out.
It has been a long time since I read the novel as well, but the characters in the book weren't quite so cardboard cut-out as they were in the movie. For instance, the Russian guy trying to sabotage the Red October wasn't some smirking evil guy just there to catch bullets from Alec Baldwin. There was more to the story than that. The fucking ending is what I hated so much. The ending in the book seemed so much more realistic and poignant. The Red October docks in Norfolk, VA. The crew is quickly whisked away by CIA spooks for de-briefing. Jack Ryan is just kind of left there at the dock without so much as a thank-you for saving the damned world. Kind of like who gives a shit, right? He just gets picked up by a car and that's it. To me it was kind of sad. But that's more like how it is for a lot of people doing special ops or covert work. There isn't any sailing a captured Soviet sub down some river in Maine for heart-felt talks or other Hollywood bullshit like that.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2016 05:07 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that ending now. I'll have to pull my copy out and re read the novel. For any fans of the TV show NCIS movie obsessed character Anthony Dinozo makes the comment while chasing a cook through a navy frigate makes the comment to his team members "it's the cook, it's always the cook just like in "The hunt for Red October" and proceeds to list other movies where the cook/chef was the "bad guy" that scene always makes me laugh.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-13-2016 05:58 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Geoff Jones
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith (probably - I never saw it)

For those I'd want to raise a new vote:

Movie technology you actually wanted to exist.

I'd go all in for Total Recall here.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2016 05:57 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deep Throat

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: