Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » HVAC capacitors - a cautionary tale

Author Topic: HVAC capacitors - a cautionary tale
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-23-2016 12:54 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About two years ago, our outside air cooler unit stopped working just after I left for work on one of the hottest Sundays of the year. My wife simply couldn't stand the heat, and so we had to pay an emergency callout contractor $300 to replace a $20 motor run capacitor.

After that incident, I educated myself on domestic forced air HVAC systems in American houses (they don't really exist in England, where I spent the first half of my life), quickly discovered that the motor run capacitors are the thing that fails in them most often, and bought and filed spares both for the exterior and interior units.

Last year we moved house, and since then it has been in the back of my mind that I needed to look in the units in our new house to see what the capacitor ratings were, and, if different from the system in our old house, buy spares.

I never got around to it; inaction that has just bit me (plus my wife, son and cats) in the ass big time.

About two hours ago, the exterior unit went out. It's still 96 degrees outside, despite the sun having gone down over an hour ago. Needless to say, the dual capacitor for the exterior unit at our old house is a different rating (compressor = 40uF / motor = 5uF) to the one here (compressor = 70 / motor = 7.5). Checked with a capacitance meter - the motor side is toast. So, a very hot night (not the nice sort) now awaits us. Thankfully, there's an HVAC spares place three miles away that opens at 8am tomorrow, and I don't have to leave for work until 9.30, so after getting through tonight we should be OK.

According to the news sites, pretty much the entire United States is about to start a week of abnormally hot weather. So, here's a suggestion for everyone: open up your exterior cooler unit and check the rating of the dual run capacitor in there, then look in the inside furnace/blower unit and check the rating of the single motor run capacitor in there, and order spares on Amazon, plus a cheap capacitance meter (if you don't already have a high end multimeter with a capacitance measuring function), so that if this happens to you, you can have cool air back up again in 20 minutes and for $20, not in several hours and $300.

|  IP: Logged

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2016 01:27 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great post. My unit has a brand new capacitor, and I've got the specs on my desk for a spare I'll buy in the next few weeks [Smile]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-24-2016 08:20 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Due to South Florida heat we have our capacitors mounted outside the compressor / air handlers to allow a quick change......

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-26-2016 06:25 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
F-T's collective wisdom appreciated on the following issue: can I cause damage to an interior furnace unit blower motor by putting a capacitor of too high a rating on it?

Got a call for help from a family friend this morning: interior unit blower motor stopped working. Quickly diagnosed a bad cap (should be 5uF - measured 0.0something). Problem: the only new spare I have in stock is 7.5 (which is what our system uses). She was getting really uncomfortable, and so after quickly Googling and finding this page, came to the conclusion that as long as it wasn't in there for a long time, it was probably worth the risk of putting in the 7.5 I had. This I did, and the motor appears to be working normally.

I've ordered a new 5 from Amazon Prime that should be here by the end of the day, but would appreciate any thoughts on how quickly I should get over there and put it in, and/or if we should really look at replacing the motor as well. New motors of that model number go for $150ish online, so even if we do end up needing to replace it, we're probably still ahead relative to the cost of getting a local contractor to replace the cap, with the added advantage that she had cool air back within one hour than the minimum of 5-6 it would probably have taken anyone local to show.

The impression I get is that using a higher than necessary rating will damage the motor if left in long-term and in the short term will result in increased power drain, but should be OK to get you out of trouble for a day or two.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-26-2016 08:48 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experience is what you expected. Some variation is OK. I think you are well within the range of acceptance. Remember that even the 5mfd is plus minus some percent; perhaps 10-20%. 7.5 should be permanently OK. I wouldn't change the motor unless it shows signs of badness.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-26-2016 11:17 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks, Louis. The 5 cap from Amazon arrived just now, but a very busy work weekend is about to start and it won't be easy to get over there before Monday. Good to know that I'm not rapidly frying her motor by having the overrated one on there, which was the one little niggle in the back of my mind.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2016 11:59 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've run into this problem (having to make a temporary cap
replacement until I could get an exact value) and at that
time I pulled some info off the internet that I still have
in my computer. I don't have the link, but here's what I've got:

First of all- - I know you're smart enough to know that the
replacement cap needs to have a voltage rating equal to or
greater than the one that failed.

Generally speaking, if you need to make a temporary substitution,
as a general 'rule of thumb' it's better to use a cap that's slightly
higher (in MFD's) than to use one that's lower than burnt out one.

A 'larger' START capacitor will usually have no effect on the motor start,
but one that is smaller will cause the motor to take longer to come up
to speed, or in worst case, it won't start at all.

A slightly 'larger' RUN capacitor will usually not have any major effect
on motor operation, although the website didn't give any specific figure
as to what a "slightly larger" value was.

Depending on the combination of motor & cap, it may, or may not,
have some effect on overall motor efficiency

The website recommended not using a run capacitor with a lower MFD
value than the 'bad' one your are substituting for, for any length of
time, since lower values are more likely to lead to unstable operation
and possible overheating.

Apparently there is some 'wiggle room' in the cap values and some
variables depending on the exact motor design and load conditions,
so all this should be taken as "general info" for substitutions until
an exact replacement part is found.

Remember; I'm a projection-guy, not an HVAC tech!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-27-2016 09:47 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jim - this squares with everything Prof. Google and others have told me.

quote: Jim Cassedy
First of all- - I know you're smart enough to know that the replacement cap needs to have a voltage rating equal to or greater than the one that failed.
Sure, which is why I always buy 440v ones, because a 440v cap will work with a 370v motor, but not vice-versa. Buying the things online, there appears to be no significant price difference between the two for the more common ratings - pennies at most.

The impression I got from the online tutorial I linked above is that using a larger-than-optimal (for that motor) run capacitor will increase power consumption a bit and possibly cause motor overheating if left in place long term, but won't cause problems as quickly as using one too small would. Anyways, I'm going to take the chance that it'll be OK until Monday.

It seems to happen every summer that a run cap (either the single one for the indoor blower motor, or the combined compressor/fan motor one in the outdoor unit) fails either in our system or that of someone we know in the neighborhood. I'm surprised that the people who install these systems don't advise their customers to carry spares and educate themselves as to how to swap them out. Oh wait ... these would be the same people who make a $200 callout fee every time they come to replace one ... silly me!

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2016 04:25 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got spare caps for my 30 year old A/C condenser ready when needed.

The blower on the indoor unit is rated for a 10mf cap, and is running with a 7.5mf cap. It comes up to speed slightly slower than it did with the 10mf, but it's been fine for over 24 years this way. This motor runs 24 hours a day during summer, and never even gets more than warm to the touch.

I did HVAC service for several years in the 1980's and 1990's. I charged those prices for cap replacements, too.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2016 03:54 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny thing is my friends central air went out over the weekend and I told him how I had just read this thread and it was most likely the Capacitor. Well the HVAC Tech comes out Monday and guess what... It was the cap! What a coincidence!

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2016 04:54 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I paid several hundred a few years ago to replace an entire circuit board in our residential rooftop HVAC unit. Now it makes me wonder if a soldering iron would've done it, except there'd be no way to figure out the values. The parts that failed had toasted themselves and blackened the board! Somewhere I might still have a picture of that.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: