Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, NY

Author Topic: Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, NY
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2016 06:10 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to New York for vacation in a few weeks. Discovered this little gem:

http://www.movingimage.us/

Anybody been there or know anything about it? Is it awesome? Will I love it and never ever want to ever leave? Can I see everything in five or six hours? If not, can I see everything pertaining to cinema in five or six hours?

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2016 10:00 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For film people, the museum is pretty good. The new screening room is wild, looks like something out of Epcot Center. Projection is quite good. They have a pair of JJs and I believe some kind of Christie Projector. They do run 70mm from time to time. The museum is small, but they have a handful of early machines on display. One of the Lathams projectors is on display along with a Kinetoscope. Its worth the trip. Maybe 15-20 mins from Manhattan on the subway. If you're coming to the city, take a tour of Radio City Music Hall while you're at it. That is worth it as well.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-23-2016 12:45 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was a bit disappointed by this place when I visited two years ago. They seem to have the beginnings of a good collection, but the assortment of items is somewhat haphazard and does not really serve to tell the complete story of the history of the film and television media. I did not visit the screening room. I would never tell anyone not to visit, but just that I thought that there is room for improvement.

Agreed with the recommendation of the Radio City tour. The tour itself is very good, and the building is a must-see for anyone interested in classic art-deco cinema architecture (or architecture in general).

NYC always has good film screenings. Check the programs for the Film Forum, IFC Center, Anthology Film Archives, MOMA, and all the rest. There is truly something for everyone screening at any given time.

If you can make it to Jersey City and they are open, the Loews Jersey is a pretty amazing theatre that is worth visiting.

Beyond all of that, do the usual tourist stuff--the Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty, the NY Public Library, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, etc.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2016 01:20 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Museum Of The Moving Image is well worth seeing. It is next store to the Astoria Studios, which along with the museum, is what is left of the old Paramount NYC lot. If you are not staying for a movie, you will be able to see everything in a few hours.

I though the collections was better handled before the multi million dollar remodeling. Back then, the they would actually demonstrate some of the early film and tv equipment operating. It is still an interesting museum for anyone interested in movies and TV. The theatre is an ultra modern design with stadium seating, and generally has excellent presentation. The only thing to remember is that the screenings are free with admission to the museum. You need to ask for your screening tickets when you buy your museum admission.

As others have stated, Film Forum, MOMA, Anthology, and the Metrograph all run classic films if you are so inclined.

I second (or third) that you take the Radio City tour. If the auditorium is not in use for rehearsals or shows, they will take you into the projection room, or at least did last time I was there.

The Landmark Loews Jersey in Jersey City (directly across the river from NYC) is also worth seeing. Take the PATH subway train from Manhattan to Journal Square in Jersey City, the theatre is directly across the street. It is the last of the 5 Loews Wonder Theatres built in the 1920's, and is truly a movie "palace". They will next be open for movies on June 3rd and 4th, running Dark City (35mm), Trip To The Moon (Silent/organ accompaniment), and Aliens (35mm). While in Jersey City, one block from the Loews is the magnificent Stanley Theatre. It is owned by the Jehovah Witnesses, who flawlessly restored the theatre. They give tours when not using the venue for church services.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-02-2016 02:37 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the opening times; I managed to find the place once, but it was closed.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2016 10:46 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MOMI is open Wednesday through Sundays. It's just a few subway stops out of Manhattan. There isn't a huge exhibit area - depending upon whether you just browse quickly or actually look closely at each exhibit, I'd say it will take two hours tops. It's an interesting place, but it's nowhere near as good as the long gone MOMI in London.
Website is here: MOMI site

If you're interested in theaters, you might want to venture to Brooklyn and see a concert or take a scheduled tour of the Loew's Kings theater on Flatbush Avenue. The theater had a $90 million (!) restoration and it's absolutely gorgeous. Check their website as they do offer tours. Kings Theater

My photos of the Kings: Loew's Kings Theater by Martin Brooks

If you're there on a Saturday, take a ferry from East 34th street to Williamsburg, Brooklyn and go to Smorgasburg, a wonderful food festival Smorgasburg

Personally, I'd stay out of the tourist areas. All you're going to find there are bad restaurants and retail that you can find at home. When you get to NYC, pick up a copy of TimeOut magazine. That will let you know what's going on for the duration of your trip.

EDIT: Just realized you've probably come and gone by now, but leaving the post for anyone else who might be interested.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: